Garden 2020.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grand daughter has dumped flowerpot of wild flowers seed into asparagus and okra barrel.
Wild flowers are doing wonderful, can't find okra or asparagus at all.
Think there was carrots in there too, but not sure now.
Pulled up the last of the green beans stems today.
Grasshoppers ate all the leaves.
Will raise something else in that raised bed but what I don't know yet.
Maybe green onions, thinking about potatoes in a bucket for now.

Grand daughter has dumped flowerpot of wild flowers seed into asparagus and okra barrel.
Wild flowers are doing wonderful, can't find okra or asparagus at all.
Think there was carrots in there too, but not sure now.
Pulled up the last of the green beans stems today.
Grasshoppers ate all the leaves.
Will raise something else in that raised bed but what I don't know yet.
Maybe green onions, thinking about potatoes in a bucket for now.

Sorry about the grasshoppers but maybe the buket will work for you. Maybe grandaugher likes flowers.:peace:

I'll have to look at the bag of stuff I use cause I can't recall it right now. But I put about 1 cup around each bush in Feburary before the plants starts putting on growth. I also pour any pickle juice around each plant as we empty a jar. I also use pine needles as mulch, but it takes a while for them to break down.
My soil is red clay and in general run 6.5 to 7.5. I've been able to get the soil around the plants down to 6.2.

I'll have to look at the bag of stuff I use cause I can't recall it right now. But I put about 1 cup around each bush in Feburary before the plants starts putting on growth. I also pour any pickle juice around each plant as we empty a jar. I also use pine needles as mulch, but it takes a while for them to break down.
My soil is red clay and in general run 6.5 to 7.5. I've been able to get the soil around the plants down to 6.2.

hubby just mixed tea spoon of vinegar into a qt. jar and poured it over the two plants. We need to get busy on the compost too.

Meerkat,
I know the grand daughter loves flowers, angle kisses(dandelions).
We have to stop at every flower so she can smell and say "Pretty Granny".
Grand daughter and I planted strawberry seed in a small flower pot for her own garden area.
Her garden area is a window box, the rabbits cleared out I'm not using right now.
Want to get her interested in gardening younger the better.

Meerkat,
I know the grand daughter loves flowers, angle kisses(dandelions).
We have to stop at every flower so she can smell and say "Pretty Granny".
Grand daughter and I planted strawberry seed in a small flower pot for her own garden area.
Her garden area is a window box, the rabbits cleared out I'm not using right now.
Want to get her interested in gardening younger the better.

Oh what a little blessing!:heart:.I miss seeing the little ones but do get here about them from daughter and see them on FaceBook that I justhoined back after leaving almost 7 years ago just so I could see them growing up.

Been hoeing weeds the last 2 mornings. Humidity is like a heavy blanket outside. ugh. Even at 6-7 am. But its finished. the weeds sure did crop up fast for some reason.

Been picking more kale and swiss chard. What I don't eat I freeze for this winter.

Also been cutting the onion and garlic chives to use in cooking and then drying. Still have loads from last year but I'll keep drying more. You never know what the next years gardening will bring

Heat has been getting to the celery and then leaves are getting burned slightly. I'm thinking of harvesting it all and drying half and freezing half

Sweet peppers are growing great. Just waiting on them to get bigger.

The one zucchini I have growing is up to about 6 inches long so its close to time to dice it and freeze it for soups this winter. I hope I get more fruit from the plant. It took this long just to get the one!

I'll be starting seeds this week out in the greenhouse
And Aug is when I need to take cutting of the herbs to bring into the house for winter

Watermelon are running rampant in our garden. They are even growing on the outside of the garden. Lol

On the pea trellis and on the tomatoe and cucumber trellis.

20200727_170445.jpg
20200721_161709.jpg

Been hoeing weeds the last 2 mornings. Humidity is like a heavy blanket outside. ugh. Even at 6-7 am. But its finished. the weeds sure did crop up fast for some reason.

Been picking more kale and swiss chard. What I don't eat I freeze for this winter.

Also been cutting the onion and garlic chives to use in cooking and then drying. Still have loads from last year but I'll keep drying more. You never know what the next years gardening will bring

Heat has been getting to the celery and then leaves are getting burned slightly. I'm thinking of harvesting it all and drying half and freezing half

Sweet peppers are growing great. Just waiting on them to get bigger.

The one zucchini I have growing is up to about 6 inches long so its close to time to dice it and freeze it for soups this winter. I hope I get more fruit from the plant. It took this long just to get the one!

I'll be starting seeds this week out in the greenhouse
And Aug is when I need to take cutting of the herbs to bring into the house for winter
It will! Last year I ended up with a (singular) a zuke plant. It had a zuke, I thought okay that’s good. Ended up producing enough for 4 families every week for over a month! For reals - had 3 full time employees plus us and plenty of zucchini 😂. The guys liked having zucchini bread in their lunch boxes so kept taking it home.
We are just starting to get tomatoes 🍅 enough to feed us at the moment. Won’t be long and I’ll be canning like crazy.

I screwed up and planted three Zuk's. We've ate it till I'm sick of it. Been taking a bunch to work for a few weeks now. One guy has been scarfing up most of it. He's been smoking them and loving it.
I'm gonna tear mine out next time I have a little time in the bed. Gotta pull my onions as well. Then gonna start planting a few items for a fall crop in the beds.
Still got peppers, 1 tomato, a row of parsnips, a row of green beans, and 2 HUGE sunflowers, one in each bed. They've gotta be 8 ' tall up from the bed.

It will! Last year I ended up with a (singular) a zuke plant. It had a zuke, I thought okay that’s good. Ended up producing enough for 4 families every week for over a month! For reals - had 3 full time employees plus us and plenty of zucchini 😂. The guys liked having zucchini bread in their lunch boxes so kept taking it home.
We are just starting to get tomatoes 🍅 enough to feed us at the moment. Won’t be long and I’ll be canning like crazy.

LadyL, We like zuccini lasagna too,one day I want that bread recipe.

@Meerkat I’ve actually never made zucchini bread. I’ve had some and not a big fan, but the guys at work would take it home to their wives who would make it.
@Bacpacker I just pulled mu carrots and onions last week- not huge but sure taste good. I just planted turnips and parsnips hoping for a fall crop as spring planting didn’t sprout.

@Meerkat I’ve actually never made zucchini bread. I’ve had some and not a big fan, but the guys at work would take it home to their wives who would make it.
@Bacpacker I just pulled mu carrots and onions last week- not huge but sure taste good. I just planted turnips and parsnips hoping for a fall crop as spring planting didn’t sprout.

My onions so far have been kinda of HOT. But they are storage type, not sweet onions so I am ok with that. My spring parsnips are thin. Longer but thin. I'm hoping they put on some thickness in the nest month or 2

They'll get there. I've found carrots taste best after a lite frost hits them, just a touch sweeter.

Had a busy weekend garden wise. Pulled my onions yesterday.Most all the tops had fallen over and some were already brown. We had a fair amount of rain last week and I was afraid they would start sprouting again. I got about 3/4 bushel between the reds and yellows. Here are a few pics

Red Zepplin.jpg
Red Onions.jpg
Yellow Copra Onions.jpg
Drying harvest.jpg
onions samples.jpg

I also pulled the last of my cabbage. More cukes and maters. I'm taking 2 - 5 gallon buckets of maters to work to give away tomorrow. Picked some nice japlenos that will get stuff and grilled later this week. Also a bunch of banana perppers that will get pickled.
Pulled the zuchinni up to give the cantaloupes more space. Picked two of them also. Cut the seed heads from onions left over from last year. And got a pic of some aramnanth that has came back fro years from some old heads I threw in the yard. It is prolific
Here are a few more pics.

peppers.jpg
squash.jpg
more cabbage.jpg
onion seed.jpg
Aramanth.jpg

They'll get there. I've found carrots taste best after a lite frost hits them, just a touch sweeter.

Had a busy weekend garden wise. Pulled my onions yesterday.Most all the tops had fallen over and some were already brown. We had a fair amount of rain last week and I was afraid they would start sprouting again. I got about 3/4 bushel between the reds and yellows. Here are a few pics

View attachment 47532View attachment 47533View attachment 47534View attachment 47535View attachment 47536

Good job BacP. hope we have some this Fall .

I always wait for the plants to die back (our's have now) and then wait until dog days are over. That is August 11th this year to dig them. Dig before that and they don't keep well.
But your plants look great and are no where near dead. You can dig a hill or two to eat on along the way, but I'd let the main harvest wait a while longer.

Latest posts

Back