Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We planted the tomatoes, peppers, onions, basil, celery and a sesame plant in the high tunnel. I still have seeds I'm waiting to sprout. I will be planting my beans, corn and peanuts soon. Potatoes are planted outside the greenhouse..
IMG_20210517_134017189_PORTRAIT.jpg

Tomatoes all pruned and weeded. Zucchini and Yellow squash pruned and weeded. Determined we’re over watering the tomatoes in the location they are planted this year. Moisture meter is useful! At least until the 100*+ days arrive then we won’t be able to water enough.
Off to start on butcher day prep.

I love it! Where did you get it from? Does it have a fan or heat?

Growers Solutions. The small one that is up has has auto windows, vents and roll up sides. The big one when we put it up will have geothermal, my FATSO wood/coal stove and electric fans. It's going to be set up over a 6ft deep hole hubby dug to get fill dirt for his workshop pad and will have a root cellar built into one side with storage and a canning kitchen above that.

We are hoping to have that one done this fall. The workshop and barn need to be done first.

Thanks! Husband is still looking around what and where to buy from. Looks like you used RR ties for the planting sides? I don't see many of those here, but I think I have a pallet connection.

Danny and Wanda from Deep South Homestead have a 10%(I think) discount code under their YouTube videos in the description. If I remember right it's a one time use for anything on the Growers Solutions site except the greenhouse shade cloth.

We used RR ties that have been sitting around here since 2006. We lined the inside of the beds with the black plastic sold as a garden path mulch.

Today I got the the last of my tubs, I am hoping that it will provide me with 42 Sq ft of gardening space that I can move around. I am also thinking of moving the smallest of my indoor growing stations outdoors (after I remove the lights). I can put 2 of the pubs on each shelf and I figure I can have 3 shelves easily.

I was talking with a buddy about growing hanging cucumbers and letting the grow vines onto an arbor overhead, he referred to it as 3D gardening, I think I like the name and will use it any time I am growing in the vertical...

Today I got the the last of my tubs, I am hoping that it will provide me with 42 Sq ft of gardening space that I can move around. I am also thinking of moving the smallest of my indoor growing stations outdoors (after I remove the lights). I can put 2 of the pubs on each shelf and I figure I can have 3 shelves easily.

I was talking with a buddy about growing hanging cucumbers and letting the grow vines onto an arbor overhead, he referred to it as 3D gardening, I think I like the name and will use it any time I am growing in the vertical...
We've grown our cukes trained up a cattle panel and it has worked well. I'm trying the same withvsome winter squash and cantaloupes this year

@UrbanHunter I keep forgetting to tell you, re. one of your posts a while back: my gma always soaked her beans (all kinds) for a day or two before she planted them.
@Bacpacker I'm sure you already know this, but you will probably have to support the melons and squash that are hanging from the trellis. They can get to heavy and break off.

@UrbanHunter I keep forgetting to tell you, re. one of your posts a while back: my gma always soaked her beans (all kinds) for a day or two before she planted them.
@Bacpacker I'm sure you already know this, but you will probably have to support the melons and squash that are hanging from the trellis. They can get to heavy and break off.
Any ideas on support for them? Like I said this my first attempt at this.

Any ideas on support for them? Like I said this my first attempt at this.
Essentially like slings (maybe a good use for all these masks!) I've also seen nylons used since they can stretch as the fruit grows. I've never done it myself so can't say what works best.

Last edited:
We've grown our cukes trained up a cattle panel and it has worked well. I'm trying the same withvsome winter squash and cantaloupes this year
I'm trying cantaloupe on a piece of cattle panel this year. I plan to use pantyhose ( actually knee highs lol) for the fruits to see how they do.
I have a bunch of those heavy clips from the office supply store
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Large-Metal-Binder-Clips-Black-2-Size-with-1-Capacity/product_831610
Don't know how well they'll work but if they don't I'll try something else
Might just have to use wire

I'm trying cantaloupe on a piece of cattle panel this year. I plan to use pantyhose ( actually knee highs lol) for the fruits to see how they do.
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Large-Metal-Binder-Clips-Black-2-Size-with-1-Capacity/product_831610
Let us know what happens, never would have used binder clips, now I wonder if I missed something.

i have used binder clips to hold plastic covers on cages and other things. Be aware they do rust.

Ben

Let us know what happens, never would have used binder clips, now I wonder if I missed something.
probably not. its just something I have an abundance of and I'm going to give them a try ( IF the plant grows, weather could screw it up)

Tonight I got the last of my tomatoes transplanted. Some of the roma tomatoes are now 30" high and starting to load up with blooms. 5 years ago I had this many (26) paste tomato plants and was able to harvest 800 pounds, that could be good and bad....

I found some yellow and green squash (about 2 inches long each), do I need to keep those plants separated?

The first salad tub is almost ready to be thinned (I still put in too much lettuce) and second tub is starting to show color.

I did pull all the winter spinach and replanted with bush beans in that space today, I now have about 15 sq feet in bush beans. I think I am about 3/4s done with the beans for the season.

The hanging cucumbers are now about 3 inches tall, it's fun to watch them grow...

I planted a few more flowers just to add some color to the space.

The okra I replanted on the south side of the house is now coming up :) so it will not be a totally lost year.

All but 2 of my raised beds are now fully engaged in the gardening activities. I am using one like a job box with the lid closed (it's holding bone meal and stuff like that), the other is actually a large box but it has lots of weeds and needs a lot of work, it has sat empty for 3 years, but I think it might be good for beets.

Other than that nothing happening....

Watered my beds, cukes, green beans, peppers and maters. Hadn't had time to dig thru the beds last couple weeks, but today I found snow peas blooming profusely, onions bulbing nicely, the tomatos that got bit in our last freeze and got heavily pruned that week to cut out the burn has taken off. Full bushy plants and look like they will stat blooming before a lot longer. The leeks I planted in the asparagus bed are filling out, much larger than a pencil already. I've got to fill that this weekend. I had left it low to give the asparagus a chance to come up and get some height. They have done well and growing nicely so it's time to fill it in.
I'm happy with things so far. And it so nice to be able to pull what few weeds are coming up while I'm watering.

Growers Solutions.

They're not that far from me. Maybe 40 minutes down the road from me. But so far, I've never really been able to connect with them. Last time I contacted them about a high tunnel, they didn't even wanna take my order.

I hear good things about them from people on YouTube. Just haven't been able to connect.

I ended up getting the one I have from a grumpy Amish outfit (Martin's Produce Supplies) in Kentucky, but at least they took my order and finally delivered.

We're still shopping around, so I'll check out Martins. Thanks PopT.
Planted all of the sweet potato slips and a dz pumpkin plants. It was hard to get canned pumpkin last year, and I'm glad I had 3 cases of it to share with my cousins. It's on the shelves now, though. But I don't mind baking it and dehydrating it myself anyway. Mom's favorite pie. And Uncle Melvins, too. I made her one last week, and they shared it, and she's asking for another.

They're not that far from me. Maybe 40 minutes down the road from me. But so far, I've never really been able to connect with them. Last time I contacted them about a high tunnel, they didn't even wanna take my order.

I hear good things about them from people on YouTube. Just haven't been able to connect.

I ended up getting the one I have from a grumpy Amish outfit (Martin's Produce Supplies) in Kentucky, but at least they took my order and finally delivered.

They stopped taking orders for a bit right after we ordered. Shutdowns, shipping restrictions (apparently greenhouses were non essential??)and such.

Latest posts

Back