Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peanut well we going to find out soon if fishing line and a few other things helps with crow thing. noticed a few sprigs of corn popped ground 2 days ago. i sure hope so about out of time to get a crop off here.

Garden jungle=tomatoes,corn,cuks and pole beans,4ft summer squash,sweet slice cuke vines(silver king sweet corn in background,daily cuke harvest.

DSC03851.JPG

DSC03855.JPG

DSC03884.JPG

DSC03902.JPG

Been rainy then unbearable hot and then rainy here. Gonna be unbearable hot again lol

Did some weeding and some pruning of leaves on the plants. Cut the kale seeds from the ones that went to seed this year. They never bolted last year in the heat for some reason so I let them go to seed this year after they overwintered. Have no idea what type it is but it sure grows well here

A few tomatoes are starting to ripen and the sweet peppers are growing bigger and they're getting more buds

Blueberries are getting slightly larger and they're a late season variety so I still have a few weeks to go yet on those

Blackberries are nice size and red so hopefully they'll be ripening to black soon and I can get them before they dry up like last year

Looks like you planted enough for preacher, the widows & the crows!

the crows been getting the corn as it came up.....this might seem like a lot..but its not if you trying to grow a large portion of your own food season to season/harvest to harvest.

My Father always planted a lot of corn, I ask him why as a child, he said enough to last till next summer, then a roll for the Preacher, a row for the widows, a roll for the crows. Some years later he feed a single mother of four, she married my BIL years later, (he thought he was better than my family) she would not let him speak ill of me till the day he died. I guess that the bread on the water thing.

Pulled a small patch of garlic this evening.

20210702_175547.jpg

They were an experiment to see how they would do if I planted them in spring instead of late September. Not bad but far from what happens if planted before winter.

There is an experiment I will try not to repeat.

Ben

Plant in Fall
Plant six inches apart
Plant one inch deep
Mulch with wheat straw to suppress weeds
This is for onions & Garlic
Speaking of onions, anyone have multiplying onions, if so what month do you plant them for 2022 Garden season?

Plant in Fall
Plant six inches apart
Plant one inch deep
Speaking of onions, anyone have multiplying onions, if so what month do you plant them for 2022 Garden season?
Egyptian walking onions are a type of multiplying onion and I probably have hundreds. They all started from 5 bulbs that arrived in late fall for imediate planting. I was under the impresion they dont keep well.

Ben

Plant in Fall
Plant six inches apart
Plant one inch deep

In the past I have planted in mid Oct to mid Nov. I never used the straw for mulch, probably be a great idea. I raised them for several years, got busy and stopped for a while. Looking forward to getting started back at it.

Egyptian walking onions are a type of multiplying onion and I probably have hundreds. They all started from 5 bulbs that arrived in late fall for immediate planting. I was under the impression they don't keep well.

Ben
I had walking onions, they go under a few names. I bought them as Egyptian walking onions. I had them for seven years. after the third year, I got busy & forget to weed them. They did not care, I had to hunt for them in the perennials weeds, but they lasted four more years. When I got sick I took 18 months off from the garden & they are gone now.
But I have a nesting onion that gets as big as a golf ball & separates like a daffodil, so one onion becomes two then four or five.
No it is not a potato onion, but it acts like PO some what.

I was home most the day so was able to water nearly everything really well. Will finish up with the deep soaking in the morning. Have a section that needs to have the mustard week pulled so I can put the new peppers in. Will see what I can do. It's supposed to be 100* tomorrow. "Only" got to 93* which felt like a relief. There are so many weeds and keeping things wet has been challenging. Have tomatoes but non ripe yet. Broccoli is delish! I planted my kale and spinach out front and it did okay there, but I forget it's there so we don't eat it as much. I need to get on that. Actually, will wait until it cools some and replant spinach. It bolted.

If you eat smoothies, juice or like flavored water. Cut up your extra cukes and freeze them. Taste great in above during the winter.
DW turned me on to cuke water, eat cukes for 25 years & never heard of cuke water.

The garden is now starting to do well, the screen I placed next to the pot holding the squash seems to have helped support the plant, I am also seen new blooms on the part of the plant that was damaged and I planted the broken off part (which is now in bloom). The second pair of cucumbers are now starting to show fruit, the first pair have been giving me about 2 cucumbers a day, so it will get interesting soon. The egg plants that I killed now have 4 purple fruits showing, 6 weeks ago they looked dead.... I have also had a couple of peppers bounce back to life now that it has gotten hot. Today, we ate the first of the celery, it is quite strong, but crisp. The green grapes have purple spots on them, don't know what it is but I think I am about to lose my crop......

The garden is now starting to do well, the screen I placed next to the pot holding the squash seems to have helped support the plant, I am also seen new blooms on the part of the plant that was damaged and I planted the broken off part (which is now in bloom). The second pair of cucumbers are now starting to show fruit, the first pair have been giving me about 2 cucumbers a day, so it will get interesting soon. The egg plants that I killed now have 4 purple fruits showing, 6 weeks ago they looked dead.... I have also had a couple of peppers bounce back to life now that it has gotten hot. Today, we ate the first of the celery, it is quite strong, but crisp. The green grapes have purple spots on them, don't know what it is but I think I am about to lose my crop......
You know you're a gardener when even your dead plants are producing???? 😂 My eggplant has blossoms on it. Last year one plant fed us and my parents - pretty tasty.

Everything is growing good.
Cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen
Blackberries have started to ripen and I've picked a good handful 2 mornings now. Think I have enough to make some muffins but I'll wait until I pick tomorrow.
Bush is just packed and they're a good size too

Latest posts

Back