Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the weather man isn't lying, the freezing weather should end for my in about 5 days!! So I can start considering the relocation of my cabbages and other plants that can handle a little cool weather!

I hope the weather man wasn't using a 2 headed coin when he was making his guesses, I mean forecast!

Finished working up part of the garden spot and planted a row and half of yukon gold taters today, about 150' of row total.

taters.jpg

been busy last few days.planted 43 amish bottle onions,17 golden shallots,38 dutch red shallots,3 red fleshed apple tree seedlings i started from seed last year .one was over 2ft tall.potted 2 more that were a bit small.built cages for trees against deer and rabbits.garlic looks good.counted only 3 blank spots so i replanted those.i have 133 up and growing nice out of 136 fall planted cloves. so not bad at all.the yellow potato onions were not keeping last fall so i stuck them in ground in hopes of saving them but i only see 2 sprouts.i may have lost them ...bummed.if i dont see more dutch red shallots are going in the spots.

DSC02510.JPG

Last edited:
Finished working up part of the garden spot and planted a row and half of yukon gold taters today, about 150' of row total.

View attachment 60526
That is just short of 19x what I grow each year to maintain the genetics of each variety eaxh year. That alone could feed my family... 3 months?

Ben

been busy last few days.planted 43 amish bottle onions,17 golden shallots,38 dutch red shallots,3 red fleshed apple tree seedlings i started from seed last year .one was over 2ft tall.potted 2 more that were a bit small.built cages for trees against deer and rabbits.garlic looks good.counted only 3 blank spots so i replanted those.i have 133 up and growing nice out of 136 fall planted cloves. so not bad at all.the yellow potato onions were not keeping last fall so i stuck them in ground in hopes of saving them but i only see 2 sprouts.i may have lost them ...bummed.if i dont see more dutch red shallots are going in the spots.

View attachment 60532
That is beautiful @elkhound . I would have to coop with local farmers to match that

Ben

around here growing up the old timers use to ask for a peck full or a peck bucket full.heres data on that one.

Peck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peck

A peck is an imperial and United States customary unit of dry volume,[1] equivalent to 2 dry gallons or 8 dry quarts or 16 dry pints. An imperial peck is equivalent to 9.09 liters and a US customary peck is equivalent to 8.81 liters. Two pecks make a kenning (obsolete), and four pecks make a bushel. Although the peck is no longer widely used, some produce, such as apples, are still often sold by the peck in the USA (although it is obsolete in the UK, found only in the old nursery rhyme "Peter Piper" and in the Bible - e.g., Matthew 5:15 in some older translations).

Today, I checked the weather forecast, there is a hard freeze expected on Sunday, but the rest of the forecast is 40ish nights and days in the 50s and 60s, so it is getting close, I moved my roaster outside and started cooking dirt... will see how that goes, I figure I only need to get the soil up to about 180 to kill all the weed seeds and then I can mix it with my composted stuff.... If I can replace a few hundred gallons of potting soil it will be worth the effort....

I was surprised to find that it took under an hour to bring 5 gallons of soil and water to a boil, letting it cool now. It will not take long at that rate to recycle all my old weedy container soil. :)
Heat capacity of dirt is obviously much less than water.

;)

Ben

Why do you cook the soil? I've never heard of doing that before
I have a lot of containers and raised beds that have become over run with weeds, I have screened it and the small root parts that get through start new weeds, my daughter-in-law used boiling water to kill weeds, I'm just doing it in a different way... it may work or it might not, but it's what I had to work with and I won't know until I try...

I have an 8'X4'X4' pile of root bound soil with weeds and I would like to use it instead of hauling it away. I am just doing anything that might work without a lot of chemicals...

I think Rodney sums it up at the very end of this clip...

Urban, I was wondering where you went. So you're a chef now eh? 😂
Today is supposed to be a good day for planting flowers so I got some pots ready and mammoth sweetpea seeds ready. The seeds are 2 years old so will see if any will sprout. I have one of my garden crates filled and tomorrow will plant spinach and maybe lettuce, might be a little chilly for that but I do have lots of seed.

I ran the chisel plow across the garden today. I ganged up a strip about 50ft wide. I didn't get the rows laid out. The battery in the old ford was toast. So, a trip to town for a battery tomorrow. I'll stop by the co-op and see what they have in the way of taters and onions while there.

Latest posts

Back