Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one of my experiments this year. with availability of everything in question along with cost. i decided to try and be sure and grow enough fingerlings to not have to buy any seed potatoes. i havent for several years...of fingerlings...and last year they just didnt do well. so i decided to plant a mound of taters..a row each of Makah tribe,red and purple fingerlings. i have hilled up as much as i can already and once i get it weed free as possible again i am covering it with grass clippings. the Makah taters you cant buy.i was lucky enough to get 12 small ones from Martin 2 years ago.they not done well size wise but had enough to plant in both gardens probably 50 feet or so of them. i hope they do well.

View attachment 87123

Do you ever get volunteers coming up??? It seems no matter how thorough I am at harvesting potatoes, there's always a few surprises. Last year, I dug mine down deep and sifted thru the soil for even the smallest pea sized tater and thought I finally won the battle. This year I planted in those burlap bags.....just so there wouldn't be any more volunteers........then low & behold I find some coming up from last year in the other part of the garden.

Given the food supply and inflation issues, I won't complain too much......but dang it, taters can be a problem in crop rotation and/or companion planting

6.45 inches here this week...and house aint clean and the weeds are going to kill the tiller and me and hoe when it drys enough to walk in garden...lol

We haven't had that much rain........but still more than we need at this time of year. And the house is never clean, even when I do clean it. It takes less than 5 minutes to go from spotless to disaster struck

Do you ever get volunteers coming up??? It seems no matter how thorough I am at harvesting potatoes, there's always a few surprises. Last year, I dug mine down deep and sifted thru the soil for even the smallest pea sized tater and thought I finally won the battle. This year I planted in those burlap bags.....just so there wouldn't be any more volunteers........then low & behold I find some coming up from last year in the other part of the garden.

Given the food supply and inflation issues, I won't complain too much......but dang it, taters can be a problem in crop rotation and/or companion planting
Volunteer spuds are always welcome here. I just let them grow. Spuds in the ground are good food security. What gang of raiders would put a hand to a shovel?

Ben

Today I saw a few sugar peas ready to harvest. I finished installing my drip lines to my trees, I ran lengths of cheap water hose to them with quick connects so I can just pop the hoses off when it's time to mow. Yesterday I mowed the lawn, I was able to save about 50 gallons of cuttings for in the garden, the rest had weeds, and I don't need to import any weeds. The spinach plants that I gently harvested (I cut them off 3" above the ground) have new growth almost ready to harvest. The outdoor tomato plants are growing okay, but the indoor tomato plant is just going gang busters, I have harvested about a half dozen off it so far. While I was working outside today a baby bird had gotten into my bug netting over my cabbage, the netting broke it's fall but then it got tangled up in it. The other birds were going nuts, so I placed a small bucket under the poor thing and then gently (really) I cut the bird free till it fell in the bucket, then I put the bucket (on it's side) on top of the shed next to the tree, the birds were very upset... within 5 minutes the birds all settled down and the baby had safely left the bucket :) While I was installing the drip lines I noticed a small group of praying mantis' walking along my hose, it did me good to see that I have them all the way around the house this year... While pulling weeds from the flower beds yesterday I think I got into something, my elbow itches like crazy and is red... I suspect it was the vine that grew into the hedge.....

Am just putting this here since there's not really a more appropriate place for it.
1653876964636.png

I identified the black worms on my mammoth sunflowers (checkerspot butterfly) that are eating my leaves. Also found that 2 oz of Neem Oil to a gallon of water sprayed on the leaves will kill them. And cabbage worms when they come. So, all set. I have Neem Oil. Bt will work as well, and I have that, too. OK for organic gardening. Supposedly screws up their digestion, so they die of starvation, and that works for me.

I like volunteer spuds. I let them grow and see them as a "treat".
Today I saw a few sugar peas ready to harvest. I finished installing my drip lines to my trees, I ran lengths of cheap water hose to them with quick connects so I can just pop the hoses off when it's time to mow. Yesterday I mowed the lawn, I was able to save about 50 gallons of cuttings for in the garden, the rest had weeds, and I don't need to import any weeds. The spinach plants that I gently harvested (I cut them off 3" above the ground) have new growth almost ready to harvest. The outdoor tomato plants are growing okay, but the indoor tomato plant is just going gang busters, I have harvested about a half dozen off it so far. While I was working outside today a baby bird had gotten into my bug netting over my cabbage, the netting broke it's fall but then it got tangled up in it. The other birds were going nuts, so I placed a small bucket under the poor thing and then gently (really) I cut the bird free till it fell in the bucket, then I put the bucket (on it's side) on top of the shed next to the tree, the birds were very upset... within 5 minutes the birds all settled down and the baby had safely left the bucket :) While I was installing the drip lines I noticed a small group of praying mantis' walking along my hose, it did me good to see that I have them all the way around the house this year... While pulling weeds from the flower beds yesterday I think I got into something, my elbow itches like crazy and is red... I suspect it was the vine that grew into the hedge.....
UH, I love reading what you are harvesting throughout the year. That's crazy you have peas already!
Also - your elbow, soak with epsom salt water then rub some lanolin on it if you have some.

Checked my fig transplants yesterday. At least 6 of 8 plants have leafed out. The other 2 might make it yet.
But it appears my blueberry transplants have all failed. I'm gonna give them more time. But nothing has any growth. I am very disappointed in this.
Elderberry and horse radish plantings this spring are growing like crazy. Elderberries are all over 24" already with multiple stalks.

UH, I love reading what you are harvesting throughout the year. That's crazy you have peas already!
I planted peas in 2 places, the first place is along a West wall and it was getting too much water, so I put plastic sheet over them and they sprouted early (that's where I harvested from) the other place is shaded more and those plants are now about 3' high and starting to flower hopefully they will be producing later. My pole beans are now head high, they are along a South wall.

Tomorrow, I plan to install replacement raised bed tops (new swing arms and adding a bug screen layer), I hope I can get some good pictures of all the steps involved. I saw some pictures of the beds from 2013 and I find it amazing, I used 6 mill black plastic to line my pressure treated wood raised beds and that plastic and wood frames are still in use, only the tops and plywood ends need regular maintenance.... From the looks of the tops in the 2013 pictures, I must have installed these raised beds between 2006 and 2008, so frames of my raised beds have been in use for close to 15 years.

Volunteer spuds are always welcome here. I just let them grow. Spuds in the ground are good food security. What gang of raiders would put a hand to a shovel?

Ben
I like volunteer spuds. I let them grow and see them as a "treat".

Yes, normally the volunteers would be welcome, but a couple of years ago I realized I had blight in my spuds. When I looked it up, it's a soil issue that causes the brown or black spots inside the potato, so I've been trying to get them all up and not plant in the ground hoping that eventually the soil would correct itself or I'd figure out how to fix it.

oh yea...no getting around volunteers....if in a decent enough spot i just hoe around them and hill them up. already have several extra fingerlings up and doing this in corn and other places.

they are easy to get rid off hoe them as soon as seen...a couple times and they are done for.

Okay someone asked me a specific question about my raised bed garden lids, so I documented it today. @Mel

I have been using my raised bed design since about 2005 and have adapted to a standardized design with an 8'X3' footprint, two layers of 12" boards deep, I use pressure treated wood lined with 4 layers of 6 mil black plastic stapled and over lapped, the bottom is lined with chicken wire (2 layers), I placed grass clippings I saved in the bottom, then sifted dirt using 1/2" square wire cloth, and topped with about 2"s of potting soil, the soil started about 9" below the top of the raised bed. I wanted to extend my growing season so I made a very simple design that could be installed on the insides of the raised bed frame.
Raised bed lid drawing.gif

Now to today's build. First note it was warm today and I am going to blame any mistakes on the heat.P_20220530_112148_p.jpg

I am building on the existing end pieces. If you are going to be building end pieces you will need 1 more 8' 2X4 and some plywood to make the triangles. This is a picture of the bed from 2013:
Watering Time.gif

Here is my bill of materials for 1 raised bed top using 2 swing arm design:
2 - 5/16" bolts 3 inches long
2 - 5/16" lock nuts
4 - big 5/16" washers
8 - regular 5/16" washers
About 30- 1 5/8" wood screws
About 12- 3 1/2" wood screws
2 8' 2"X4"s
3 1"X2" furring strips
4 1"X3" boards for the swing arms - about half the width of your bed +6"
about 4' of 8' wide insect netting
about 4' of 8' wide heavy clear plastic (2.5 mil)
Stapler, screw driver, drill, 5/16 drill bit,

P_20220530_110836_p.jpg

Make the 5/16" holes in the swing arms and assemble by putting a big washer on the 5/16" bolt, then the swing arm, then 2 small washers, then the next swing arm, 2 more regular washers and install that in the 5/16" hole in the center end plate.P_20220530_115406_p.jpgP_20220530_115412_p.jpgP_20220530_114910_p.jpgP_20220530_115530_p.jpg
In the inside of the raised bed end plate put a large 5/16" washer and 5/16" locking nut on the bolt tighten until secure and then back it off half a turn so the arms move freely. Repeat the process on the other end of the raised bed.

Now take 1 of the 8' 2X4s and measure it to fit inside the inside swing arm, cut to length and then install to the top of the inside swing arm (on the opening side of the raised bed). P_20220530_120105_p.jpg using 2 3 1/2" wood screws, on each end. move the outer swing arms into position and install the second 2X4 using the same approach.P_20220530_120744_p.jpg.

To be continued....

Continue of Raised bed lid build..
Now move both of the 2 swing arms into the open position and using the stapler attach the insect netting along the 2X4 on the inside swing arm.P_20220530_121521_p.jpg and then secure using 1X2" furring strip along the outside of the 2X4 using 1 5/8" wood screws. Toss the insect netting inside the raised bed and then move the swing arm into the closed position, the insect netting should be draped over the 2X4 center support between the two end plates.P_20220530_122053_p.jpg
Now repeat the process for the outer swing arm using the plastic, attach with the stapler, followed by the furring strips on the outside of the 2X4 swing arm.P_20220530_122319_p.jpg, close the swing arm and toss the plastic over the raised bed to the other side. Place a 2X4 between the swing arms and the closed side of the raised bed. P_20220530_122902_p.jpg Now pull the insect netting to the outside of the closed side of the raised bed and attach to the edge of the raised bed with staples.P_20220530_123105_p.jpg. Now pull the plastic sheeting across the top of the center support and attach it with staples on the closed side of the raised bed over the insect netting. P_20220530_131903_p.jpg. Now secure both the plastic and the insect netting using furring strips and 1 5/8" wood screws.P_20220530_132315_p.jpg Remove the 2X4 that is holding the swing arms off the raised bed frame and the top should become tighter because of the weight of the swing arms being supported by the cover(s). Trim the extra material using a pair of scissors and verify that the lid opens and closes, I left the plastic "weather guard" open but kept the insect netting closed.P_20220530_132709_p.jpg.

I have used this method to protect my spinach and lettuce down to about 10F, it buys me about 3 months of extra growing season. Under snow load the snow pushes down on the swing arms forcing them to close tighter and I have not had a problem with over 3' of snow on them.
DSC_0339.jpg

I hope you find this useful even if it was a little long winded.

Last edited:
Now move both of the 2 swing arms into the open position and using the stapler attach the insect netting along the 2X4 on the inside swing arm.View attachment 87223 and then secure using 1X2" furring strip along the outside of the 2X4 using 1 5/8" wood screws. Toss the insect netting inside the raised bed and then move the swing arm into the closed position, the insect netting should be draped over the 2X4 center support between the two end plates.View attachment 87229
Now repeat the process for the outer swing arm using the plastic, attach with the stapler, followed by the furring strips on the outside of the 2X4 swing arm.View attachment 87230, close the swing arm and toss the plastic over the raised bed to the other side. Place a 2X4 between the swing arms and the closed side of the raised bed. View attachment 87232 Now pull the insect netting to the outside of the closed side of the raised bed and attach to the edge of the raised bed with staples.View attachment 87231. Now pull the plastic sheeting across the top of the center support and attach it with staples on the closed side of the raised bed over the insect netting. View attachment 87233. Now secure both the plastic and the insect netting using furring strips and 1 5/8" wood screws.View attachment 87234 Remove the 2X4 that is holding the swing arms off the raised bed frame and the top should become tighter because of the weight of the swing arms being supported by the cover(s). Trim the extra material using a pair of scissors and verify that the lid opens and closes, I left the plastic "weather guard" open but kept the insect netting closed.View attachment 87235.

I have used this method to protect my spinach and lettuce down to about 10F, it buys me about 3 months of extra growing season. Under snow load the snow pushes down on the swing arms forcing them to close tighter and I have not had a problem with over 3' of snow on them.
View attachment 87236

WOW, I found it useful!! Thank you very much for sharing that!!

Now move both of the 2 swing arms into the open position and using the stapler attach the insect netting along the 2X4 on the inside swing arm.View attachment 87223 and then secure using 1X2" furring strip along the outside of the 2X4 using 1 5/8" wood screws. Toss the insect netting inside the raised bed and then move the swing arm into the closed position, the insect netting should be draped over the 2X4 center support between the two end plates.View attachment 87229
Now repeat the process for the outer swing arm using the plastic, attach with the stapler, followed by the furring strips on the outside of the 2X4 swing arm.View attachment 87230, close the swing arm and toss the plastic over the raised bed to the other side. Place a 2X4 between the swing arms and the closed side of the raised bed. View attachment 87232 Now pull the insect netting to the outside of the closed side of the raised bed and attach to the edge of the raised bed with staples.View attachment 87231. Now pull the plastic sheeting across the top of the center support and attach it with staples on the closed side of the raised bed over the insect netting. View attachment 87233. Now secure both the plastic and the insect netting using furring strips and 1 5/8" wood screws.View attachment 87234 Remove the 2X4 that is holding the swing arms off the raised bed frame and the top should become tighter because of the weight of the swing arms being supported by the cover(s). Trim the extra material using a pair of scissors and verify that the lid opens and closes, I left the plastic "weather guard" open but kept the insect netting closed.View attachment 87235.

View attachment 87236

Thank you @UrbanHunter. !

My raised beds are old and decrepit and need replaced. The Princess want me redo them making them 3' wide instead of 4'. I will emulate your design when I redo the boxes.

If I had covers for all of my raised beds this...

20220530_130039_HDR.jpg

That was a box of potatoes before the wild turkeys decided it was a nesting box and moved in.

Silly birds!

One just sat there and pretended I didn't see it.

Ben

Thank you @UrbanHunter. !

My raised beds are old and decrepit and need replaced. The Princess want me redo them making them 3' wide instead of 4'. I will emulate your design when I redo the boxes.
Ben

It's hard to believe that this box was installed over 15 years ago. P_20220530_110857_p.jpgThe plastic protected the wood on the inside and the pressure treatment kept the critters from eating them up. But if you don't paint or treat the end plates they will look like this in just 5 years. 2013 Pics 030.JPG Note: these are the same beds, the second picture was taken in 2013 you can see the same screws on the far bed in both images. Yes they show their age, but for 15 year old beds, I'm satisfied...

It dried up just enough for me to till my beans, taters, squash and cantaloupes. Taters in the lower garden are knee high and starting to bloom. Squash isn't all up yet, watermelons haven't at all, kidney beans are scattered. I'll wait till next weekend and give them a chance, if they aren't up by then I'll replant.

We are finally starting to get our garden in, I haven’t seen a spring like this in several years. I think we were 7 inches above normal for the month of May. It was to muddy to till today but we had to get plants in the ground.

View attachment 87244
Is that a power/phone line passing over 5he garden?

I have one the birds frequent and there dropping do wonders. But you've chickens and don't need it.
:thumbs:

Ben

Tonight I harvested some small red potatoes that I had started in 2 -17 gallon tubs, I only put 6" of soil in them, but even with that shallow working space I go a #10 can full. I have 10 more plants ready to be transplanted outside. I also harvested the first of my spring planted beets, they are nice sized (between a golf and a tennis ball ) with a nice round shape. I have been harvesting the over-wintered fall beets, but they have been larger and more woody (I would not call them a success). I also harvested some cabbage, one head split, and two had some bug issues on the outer leaves, after removing the damaged leaves and cleaning, the heads were about softball size and I ate a couple leaves, they were sweet enough. The cabbages are one of the few plants that are not currently on the irrigation system, I need to fix that next weekend.

Tomorrow morning, I will pick a salad 😁 I'm happy about that. I got the hula-hoe run through the tomatoes and the cabbage after work. The weeds had been enjoying the reprieve since it rained for the past 3-4 days. I want to try to keep up with them early so hopefully they won't run over me later in the season. It's almost apricot drying season - yum! My favorite. I've been hording mine from last year since they were so difficult to come by. I'm hoping since we've had more of a true spring that they will be more plentiful. Last year they were $45 a box which was too steep for me. I did find some for free but had to drive and pick them - fine by me :) This year gas would be too much to drive that far so I'm hoping for some closer to home.

This morning, I picked a spaghetti squash
20220601_085056.jpg
20220601_093750.jpg
20220601_085135.jpg
3 yellow squash and one zucchini. And 4 tomatoes. Staked up some jalapenos. Here are 3 photos. One of garden, one of potato patch and one of fig tree. Jerusalem artichokes are at back of potato patch and elderberry bush behind that.

Got out and hoe'd my taters down in the field. They are over knee high and starting to bloom. Cut the bigger weeds outta the beans, squash, and melons. None of them are up very good, so had to be real careful, I'll have to work them again soon and may even need to replant some stuff.
I also worked my elderberries and horse radish. They are kickin butt. Elderberries are over 2' tall and very bushy. Glad I spread them out some and they may still grow together.
Hope we get the rain tomorrow being called for. Suppose to drop back to low 80's for a few days and lower humidity. Good thing I'm already over the 90 degree stuff. :ghostly:

This morning, I picked a spaghetti squash
View attachment 87310View attachment 87311View attachment 87312 3 yellow squash and one zucchini. And 4 tomatoes. Staked up some jalapenos. Here are 3 photos. One of garden, one of potato patch and one of fig tree. Jerusalem artichokes are at back of potato patch and elderberry bush behind that.
Wowza Snap! That's awesome. Told Hubby you picked tomatoes and he said "That's messed up." He means that in a very kind way of course (wink wink).

I got some neem oil spray that says it's for use in organic gardens. Sprayed my spuds and they don't look any worse so hopefully that keeps whatever little munchers were there at bay. Someone mentioned earwigs which we seem to have an abundance of so not sure what was eating them, but it wasn't me. @Bacpacker other than the leaves that were getting munched on, mine are looking pretty good too and growing. Strange - seems like our weather is similar this year.

Wowza Snap! That's awesome. Told Hubby you picked tomatoes and he said "That's messed up." He means that in a very kind way of course (wink wink).

I got some neem oil spray that says it's for use in organic gardens. Sprayed my spuds and they don't look any worse so hopefully that keeps whatever little munchers were there at bay. Someone mentioned earwigs which we seem to have an abundance of so not sure what was eating them, but it wasn't me. @Bacpacker other than the leaves that were getting munched on, mine are looking pretty good too and growing. Strange - seems like our weather is similar this year.

What weather zone are you in? We are zone 7A here. Not sure where you are in Washington (east west, north south), but you do seem to have similar weather as we do. I had noticed it at times.
Last 3 years I've stopped planting Kennebec taters (white), and went to Yukon Golds. Taters bugs are very minimal if there at all since then. This year I put out a row of purple ones a guy I work with gave me and I saw no bugs on them tonight either. At knee high I would expect to see a lot of damage to the plants. I sure like not having to deal with them. Harvest seems better too.

What weather zone are you in? We are zone 7A here. Not sure where you are in Washington (east west, north south), but you do seem to have similar weather as we do. I had noticed it at times.
Last 3 years I've stopped planting Kennebec taters (white), and went to Yukon Golds. Taters bugs are very minimal if there at all since then. This year I put out a row of purple ones a guy I work with gave me and I saw no bugs on them tonight either. At knee high I would expect to see a lot of damage to the plants. I sure like not having to deal with them. Harvest seems better too.
Good to know. Actually after the voles eating them the past 2 years, I chopped up some store bought spuds and planted them. I figure if we get any, it's a perk. We have fields all around us so I am totally outnumbered by the voles. We are in SE WA and are also 7A so that explains a lot. I was thinking about the purple ones, might give them a whirl next year.

Snappy1, those photos are nice... I want to get a veggie garden going, but I probably won't go big until next year, as I'm still experimenting with soil amendment here. I did buy some Jalapenos and melon plants today, gonna put 'em in the ground tomorrow morning when it's cool. I was just in my yard, doing a little watering on the southern end of my property, using the new 100' hose I bought. Had to unravel it and get all the kinks out, now it's good to go for future use. That second hose is gonna make a big difference too, no more time wasted swapping out hoses & spigots. :rolleyes:

Honestly, the time I spend puttering around in the garden is some of the best quality time in my life... even if I'm just watering, I really enjoy being outdoors in the mornings and early evenings. This is "bug season" too, but that's alright, I can deal with a few pesky gnats or whatever. Manana, I get to put those peppers & melons in the ground, amending the soil as I go... soil amendment is necessary here, but once things "take" they grow pretty well on their own (with consistent watering), and the roots can work their way farther down into the sandy soil below the amended part. :cool:

Back