Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been truly blessed as my garden is still going, the indoor part is doing real good and providing me enough starter lettuces to keep things moving along. I now have 8 new Siam tomato plants from seeds I collected, that is exciting for this winter's plans. The raised bed that sits in the shade now has a nice start of spinach about 1" tall, if they get a little bigger and start crowding each other I will transplant 2/3s them into other raised beds. We are now getting squash, which is good if I can just keep the beetles at bay. We blanched and shocked a batch of green beans tonight, they are on trays in the freezer and will get seal-a-mealed in the morning.

I got a new pump (just like the one I use to run my irrigation system) today and hope to get the fittings I need to connect it to my indoor water storage, I plan to empty our emergency drinking water into my rain barrels, then spray the drinking water barrels down and refill. The say we can expect 5 days of hot with the possibility of scattered showers. So far the showers have managed to avoid hitting my house... But it is helping me learn. I am thinking about starting some celery for in the house, I am hoping to be able to do salads all winter from the growing station.

There are so many things growing that I don't have the time to give them all the attention they deserve.

Thanks for the updates.

The Princess has grand visions of us doing similarly. Shame it depends on me. :confused2:

Ben

I weeded my tomato patch. Looks pretty good at the moment. Quite a few green maters but no ripe ones yet. Cuke plant finally has blossoms. Pole beans are slow this year. I'm going to plant a second batch of green beans this week - will see what I can get before winter. We are in need of greenbeans this year and haven't gotten enough to can, just enough to eat.
I think it was @joel (I might be wrong) when I planted garlic just a while back. I have maybe a dozen garlics. The greens are only about 10" tall and 1 is just beginning to do the curl. I will snip it off and hope they grow a little more before I pull them. I planted regular garlics and have 8??? and elephant garlic and have 3???
We harvested our first head of broccoli - as big as a dinner plate. Have a cabbage I think is close - not sure how to tell when they are ready since this is the first year I've gotten them to actually grow. 😂
Oh, and my scarlet runners are looking great on the side that the deer don't dine on.

Last night at 22:00 I am transplanting my lettuce and admiring my 6 new tomato plants from harvested seeds, the wife rings me....

I go up and she is upset I didn't show her the card... ?What Card?, there was a text between me, my wife, and our son saying "got the card", I said, we sent him the card I don't have it... Then she says did you check the beans? No not tonight, I helped blanch, shock and freeze the beans, then I fixed dinner, then I did the dishes, and then it was dark and I'm not picking beans in the dark. Then we go into the discussions about what I should be doing to grow like her daddy did in OHIO...

I walked away to water my indoor garden, 15 gallons later I can call it a night. I think that @Neb and I are related, or at least our wife's must be. :)

Last night at 22:00 I am transplanting my lettuce and admiring my 6 new tomato plants from harvested seeds, the wife rings me....

I go up and she is upset I didn't show her the card... ?What Card?, there was a text between me, my wife, and our son saying "got the card", I said, we sent him the card I don't have it... Then she says did you check the beans? No not tonight, I helped blanch, shock and freeze the beans, then I fixed dinner, then I did the dishes, and then it was dark and I'm not picking beans in the dark. Then we go into the discussions about what I should be doing to grow like her daddy did in OHIO...

I walked away to water my indoor garden, 15 gallons later I can call it a night. I think that @Neb and I are related, or at least our wife's must be. :)
Ahhhh women, ya never know what's next!!😃

It has now been 4 weeks since we had any measurable rain here. I am keeping the garden going, but just barely. I am finding that critters in the neighborhood have discovered my tomatoes, I think it is because of the shortage of water.

We are getting a squash a day off the 4 plants we have on the front porch. I am trying to figure out the smallest space that I need to grow squash indoors for this winter.

So far my goals for my indoor winter garden are, turnips, lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, celery, and carrots. I would like to add cucumbers, squash, and beets; but so far I have not had sufficient success to plan on them.

My figs trees were going to have a bumper crop but... When August temps and a drought hit in June they started dropping fruit. They do that, adjust themselves to the conditions. Still plenty of fruit tho'.

We got all we needed last week, dad made 24 pints of fig preserves. People have been coming to pick every other day until today. No one wants any more!! Or think fig preserves aren't worth the effort. There'll be figs until the middle of next week.

I need to prune them is winter, they have gotten too tall even for picking from a stepladder.

Figs A 10a.JPG
Figs A 11a.JPG
Figs A 13a.JPG
Figs A 14a.JPG

Maybe once every 20yrs I get a freeze that kills the fig trees back to the ground. The rest of the time they grow like any other tree but I've never seen a trunk get to 7inches in diameter. The tree will die before that happens. Still, mine get 4-6 inches. Every 4 or 5 years I cut them back with a chainsaw... The stumps put on new limbs just like nothing happened.

last time...

Figs a prune (3)a.jpg

Ours are no more than an inch. Maybe it's cold enough to freeze them out each winter. They do come back THICK each spring

Yep, your are probably getting frozen every winter... If you could protect them in some manner it'd be helpful.

Just occurred to me... do you know of a "port-a-potty" company going out of business? Cut out the bottoms, hang a light bulb... instant fig tree shelter (I know, I think of the oddest things sometimes... funny, I used to get paid for it 😁)

@Amish Heart I don't know any thing about fruit in your area. Let us know if you find a good variety. My figs like a lot of water.

Yep, your are probably getting frozen every winter... If you could protect them in some manner it'd be helpful.

Just occurred to me... do you know of a "port-a-potty" company going out of business? Cut out the bottoms, hang a light bulb... instant fig tree shelter (I know, I think of the oddest things sometimes... funny, I used to get paid for it 😁)

@Amish Heart I don't know any thing about fruit in your area. Let us know if you find a good variety. My figs like a lot of water.
Wife would shoot me if I stuck a port a John out in the yard. 🤣🤣🤣.
Hay bales might, maybe with a layer of plastic

Had good rain yesterday afternoon, so plants & trees are doing well. Spent two hours pulling or hoeing puncturevines in the yard... including some larger mats that were loaded with goatheads. Thank goodness I caught this problem in time, I must have pulled or hoed a couple hundred vines today, including small ones which still needed to go. I have more work to do, I'll be on 'goathead patrol' for the next few weeks in my effort to reduce & eradicate the puncturevines which are thriving in my yard. Partly my fault, as I was unknowingly watering them: "Look at the pretty ground cover!" :confused:

There are three or four areas in my yard where a carpet of young puncturevines has sprouted: before I waste money on torch & propane, I believe I'm gonna try burning a layer of pine needles on top of the puncturevines. Those needles burn fast & hot, so they should kill the puncturevines... if this plan works, it'll save me the trouble of trying to pull hundreds of small individual vines out of dirt, gravel, etc. The young vines are easy to scrape off at ground level with a hoe in the dirt, but not so easy in gravel... the hoe is not as effective in the gravel, so I reckon the pine needle method is worth a shot. ;)

Peanut, I read on the web that puncturevines are used in herbal remedies... they've been used for centuries in Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurdevic medicine. Evidently, the 'Class B Noxious Weed' can also boost testosterone, solve ED, and work a number of other minor miracles, lol. Nature's way of balancing things, I suppose: to me, the puncturevine is a monumental PITA, and I intend to eradicate it from my property. I'm not the kind of guy who messes with natural hormonal levels in my body, no need for any ridiculous testosterone boost. No ED either, just gettin' old, lol... :oops:

Peanut, I read on the web that puncturevines are used in herbal remedies... they've been used for centuries in Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurdevic medicine. Evidently, the 'Class B Noxious Weed' can also boost testosterone, solve ED, and work a number of other minor miracles,

no need for any ridiculous testosterone boost. No ED either, just gettin' old, lol... :oops:

Sometimes closely related plants have the same medicinal qualities. Most often there are differences other than location. The N. American goathead might have the same medicinal properties as the one in China but it might be weaker or stronger... or have extra "bad" properties.

What ever the reason goathead is not mentioned at all in western herbalism, not a word. It is not used. I don't know what that reason is but I would not attempt to use the one growing here.

World wide there are 12 species of goathead...

Notes on Taxonomy and Nomenclature

Tribulus, a genus of about 12 species, is one of approximately 25 genera in the Zygophyllaceae family. Tribulus is from the Latin tribo, meaning 'to tear', and was the Latin name for 'caltrop', referring to the similarity in shape between the fruit of the plant and the spiked metal ball used in medieval warfare as a weapon thrown under the feet of horses; terrestris is Latin for 'of the earth' and refers to the plant's prostrate growth habit (Holm et al., 1977; Parsons and Cuthbertson, 1992). The taxonomy of species surrounding the T. terrestris complex is in need of a world revision (Barker, 1998).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"taxonomy of species, world revision" seems like a harmless statement... what it tells me is that the goat head species in India or Africa isn't the same as the species here. Botonist haven't figured it all out yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes on Natural Enemies

The importance of T. terrestris as a weed has led to searches for natural enemies in several countries. These searches have resulted in the discovery of Peronospera tribulina in Southern Africa (Scott, 1990); Ephysteris subdiminutella, Tegostoma comparalis and Eriophyes tribuli in India (Ramaseshiah, 1976; Sankaran and Ramaseshiah, 1981; Scott, 1990); Aristotelia turbida in Australia (Squires, 1979) and Microlarinus lareynii and M. lypriformis in Italy. The latter two species have been successful as biological control agents against T. terrestris in North America (Julien, 1992).

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/54447
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You want testosterone? Have you seen the yellow pine pollen that gets all over cars in spring. The pollen is almost pure testosterone. It's common for folks here to spread a tarp under a pine tree and beat it with a stick, collect the pollen, put in capsules...

You want testosterone? Have you seen the yellow pine pollen that gets all over cars in spring. The pollen is almost pure testosterone. It's common for folks here to spread a tarp under a pine tree and beat it with a stick, collect the pollen, put in capsules...

Seriously? Omg I curse that stuff every year, it gets on and in everything! My sinuses hate it. To think I could be putting it in capsules and selling it. lol

Seriously? Omg I curse that stuff every year, it gets on and in everything! My sinuses hate it. To think I could be putting it in capsules and selling it. lol

Once I was telling a couple ladies I knew about pollen. One was in the middle of a nasty divorce....

She said... "Pine pollen? testosterone?" "Oh gawd... now I know why I hate spring"

It was funny! 😅

From one of the many websites selling pine pollen... general info.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What makes RAW Pine Pollen so special?

The original forest tonic, Pine Pollen is highly valued for its phyto-androgens (similar to testosterone), adaptogens and deep nutritive qualities. It’s been used in medicine for around 2000 years and has recently blossomed in popularity for the same reasons people have cherished it for generations.

Its positive actions on the endocrine system (and the phyto-androgens it contains), its deeply nutritive properties, and its many other key qualities* are what make it so important and beneficial. In short, people love Pine Pollen because it’s a safe, strong and effective adaptogenic tonic herb.*

RAW Pine Pollen benefits

Pine Pollen may help:
Promote and restore healthy testosterone;
Slow down the aging process;
Reduce fatigue and encourage vitality;
Increase the body’s resistance to the negative effects of stress;
Improve cardiovascular health;
Enhance skin’s appearance;
Boost prostate health;
Lower bad cholesterol levels;
Promote a healthy immune system;
Detoxify;
Better libido levels and male fertility;
Aid healthy weight management.*

----------------------------------------------------------

This site is selling their "special" pine pollen from the Himalayas.

https://www.rawforestfoods.com/blog/raw-pine-pollen-capsules-powder-tablets/

I walked up to 5he garden on The Ridge to see survived the wildlife.

20220729_141000_HDR.jpg

Couple of pumpkins doing ok and setting flowers.

20220729_141152_HDR.jpg

Potatoes have been nibbled but still trying.

20220729_141543.jpg

Two of the smaller varieties of sunflowers escaped the notice of the deer. I will have to put fencing around the larger varieties next time I try.

20220729_141420_HDR.jpg

20220729_141407_HDR.jpg

In the backyard garden I collected 3nough wax beans for a meal or three.

20220729_150552_HDR.jpg

One of the vines of a grape vine was long enough to reach the ground so I stuffed it in a pot to clone it. I did sample a pair of grapes and they were excellent. The variety is called Reliance and are seedless.

20220729_151321_HDR.jpg

Nice day in the gardens.

Ben

There are some good looking gardens in here! So I've lurked a bit, a few folks here will know me ( Angie, Elk, BK etc... ) but I'm kind of quite. Mostly I just like growing stuff ... I do stupid things from time to time ... mostly edible though ;) It has been a good year for us so far ... but always subject to change. I'm still practicing ;)

An example of dumb stuff is the squash patch. I have let it die down, will save seed .... but the freezer is full ;)
you must have a wife ,3 concubines and dozen or 3 childrens ....roflmao....or ya feed a pack of zombies !

app grows and harvests by the loader bucket full yall !

My weed plants are coming along, but they aren't quite to that stage yet... closer to the last photo, I reckon, but mine are outdoors and I don't have the grow lights, lol. I don't mind, they're just experimental plants anyway, though I will eventually smoke the buds or give 'em to friends I meet. :cool:

My weed plants are coming along, but they aren't quite to that stage yet... closer to the last photo, I reckon, but mine are outdoors and I don't have the grow lights, lol. I don't mind, they're just experimental plants anyway, though I will eventually smoke the buds or give 'em to friends I meet. :cool:
I won’t smoke any but I have friends that will. It’s just fun growing it legally for me.

Latest posts

Back