Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot of gardens here are already being tilled under. Mostly all you see are a few tomato plants and the sweet potato vines. I always think that's sad. No one plants for the fall. Still didn't get to picking grapes. Maybe tomorrow. It's 104 right now.
Mmmm, grapes. What variety (ies?) do you grow?

I’ll admit I’m not set up for fall planting, yet, but I’m planning to put garlic in where the tomatoes are, once it’s garlic time. The husband is really a summer veggie person. He’s not a big fan of the brassicas, so I should maybe focus on greens and carrots and beets for fall.

I have had no luck with beets here so far though. I’ve tried three times and gotten three beets. I’m not sure what’s wrong. They come up but don’t grow past itty bitty.

I've experimented with beets. The best ones grow in garbage soil. Too much potting mix, and they don't grow well. My first two plantings were eaten by rabbits. Then I bought good bagged mix and planted them in a bathtub. Itty bitty. Last year I planted in ground just in our garden, no special anything, and they did the best.
Grapes were here when we bought the place. They are purple with a seed, that's all I know.

I've experimented with beets. The best ones grow in garbage soil. Too much potting mix, and they don't grow well. My first two plantings were eaten by rabbits. Then I bought good bagged mix and planted them in a bathtub. Itty bitty. Last year I planted in ground just in our garden, no special anything, and they did the best.
Grapes were here when we bought the place. They are purple with a seed, that's all I know.
Ha! That would explain why they did so well in my previous garden beds. I think the guys who put them in topped them off with topsoil and that was it. I improved them a bit, but only a bit.

We do have rabbits. Well, rabbit, singular, that likes to visit our yard on the regular. I have caught him munching our currants, which is fine. They’re new and bitty and he can reach. So probably best if I put them in something elevated and/or protected, or plant so many that he (theoretically) won’t eat them all.

Well 2 days ago we had hundreds of tomatoes on our 50 plants. After the deer found them we have 2 tomatoes about the size of marbles. The green beans and peas are ate of at the ground and the 50 pepper plants look like sticks not a leaf on them. My wife got so mad she actually cried after all the work we put in. Over the winter we will clear and fence a new garden spot. The 3 plants I have indoors are thriving in different states of bloom.

9F085E26-F9F7-4879-AB46-DC2B1C40AC3C.jpeg
EF1F4F8E-6444-43F3-AB2A-1F6640B84706.jpeg
99CC555D-4B9B-42EA-B592-F4FED51B80AD.jpeg

Well 2 days ago we had hundreds of tomatoes on our 50 plants. After the deer found them we have 2 tomatoes about the size of marbles. The green beans and peas are ate of at the ground and the 50 pepper plants look like sticks not a leaf on them. My wife got so mad she actually cried after all the work we put in. Over the winter we will clear and fence a new garden spot. The 3 plants I have indoors are thriving in different states of bloom.

View attachment 92244View attachment 92245View attachment 92246
OMG now those are some beautiful green beans dude! I bet AMC hasn't even seen green beans like that! can I borrow one of those pix for my book? there's a section mentioning such things. can't give cred in the pic but I can give thanks in the forward.

As for myself I already have a micro fridge set aside, but do I use it for mushrooms or a mini starter box?

OMG now those are some beautiful green beans dude! I bet AMC hasn't even seen green beans like that! can I borrow one of those pix for my book? there's a section mentioning such things. can't give cred in the pic but I can give thanks in the forward.

As for myself I already have a micro fridge set aside, but do I use it for mushrooms or a mini starter box?
Sure do whatever you want wit those photos.

You live in the Garden State!!♥️
It ain't like it used to be. When I was a kid south Jersey was all farms and horse pasture. Now that all gone, it's condominiums and people. Lots of people. Remember going to Spotswood to see my godparents and stopping at roadside stands by the farms' edge so mom and dad could load up the car. Now I go down there to see the cousins and the traffic makes me want to get some Xanax.

But I'll keep plugging away at my little "garden state." LOL

Got another one of those animal ridders. It blinks lights and makes noise in addition to the ultrasonic annoyance. I hope it works. Dad came in from the garden and was royally pissed off. Two of my Brandywines were just starting their blush and those little b*****ds knocked them off the plants and chewed real good on them. I don't know what he's so worried about--until he gets his new teeth he can't eat them and won't have them for another 2 months.

It ain't like it used to be. When I was a kid south Jersey was all farms and horse pasture. Now that all gone, it's condominiums and people. Lots of people. Remember going to Spotswood to see my godparents and stopping at roadside stands by the farms' edge so mom and dad could load up the car. Now I go down there to see the cousins and the traffic makes me want to get some Xanax.

But I'll keep plugging away at my little "garden state." LOL

Got another one of those animal ridders. It blinks lights and makes noise in addition to the ultrasonic annoyance. I hope it works. Dad came in from the garden and was royally pissed off. Two of my Brandywines were just starting their blush and those little b*****ds knocked them off the plants and chewed real good on them. I don't know what he's so worried about--until he gets his new teeth he can't eat them and won't have them for another 2 months.
I grew up on a 600 acre ranch in South Jersey!! It's condos and a golf course now☹️!

who gets kissed sweet corn...a new modern heirloom corn i tried this year.i like the looks of it.its has larger ears than the top hat sweet corn i tried.

DSC00688.JPG

In case it might help anybody: I have two "go-to" bean varieties "Blue Lake" and "Contenders". Both common varieties but that's what I planted to try to get beans before autumn. In 3 short rows the contenders have maybe 2 holes and are about 6" tall, planted about 10 days ago. The blue lakes about 50% came up and are a little shorter than the contenders. A few of them are just now coming up so can be a little slower.
Anyhoo just info for your use or not 😊

I had put out some cauliflower plants that I had started and I thought they had just died, I figured shock from going outdoors. But, today I was planning to plant some new plants there and discovered that something had eaten the leaves and stems down to the base of the plant, so it's not that they died, it's they got eaten before they could grow any more.

We have been getting hard rains in the afternoons and a lot of the delicate plants are just getting beat down.

My indoor tomatoes are going great! The put on flowers and fruit on a regular basis and the plants are still only about 10 inches high, but the branches are extending about 6" beyond the edge of their container. I have 8 new plants going from harvested seeds and I gave away 6 plants to a friend last night. I may try to get enough seeds to share with our DIL out in Utah, since our son died 5 years ago she has been raising the Grandkids on her own, but she does a garden and was talking to us Sunday about trying to get fresh veggies in over the winter, these would be a good addition to salads.

I wish I could find a small cucumber plant that produced nice cucs but only grew to about the size of a 5 gallon bucket..... any suggestions?

Wondered thru the garden and beds while out working tonight. My early kidney and great northern beans are ready. Gonna pull them Wed or Thur. Late beans have a few more weeks yet.
Dog days end Thursday, Sept 11th. Plan to dig the ones in the garden Friday or Saturday. The ones in the beds will be fine for a few more days if it keeps raining.
Cucumbers are close to done. Just getting a few a week now. But still have a few blooms coming on, so I'm gonna give them a while longer, maybe prune them up a little.
Tomatos have slowed down from a 5 gallon bucket every other day to maybe 2 gallons every 3rd day.
Late onions are about half way ready to harvest. Gonna pull whats ready this weekend. Shallots are ready to pull as well. Looks to be a good harvest of both. I'll spread them in the shop to dry.
We got a big surprise Saturday. We've got some honey crisp and golden delicious apples ready to pick. Looks like some bartlett pears too. Pretty excitied about those

I had put out some cauliflower plants that I had started and I thought they had just died, I figured shock from going outdoors. But, today I was planning to plant some new plants there and discovered that something had eaten the leaves and stems down to the base of the plant, so it's not that they died, it's they got eaten before they could grow any more.

We have been getting hard rains in the afternoons and a lot of the delicate plants are just getting beat down.

My indoor tomatoes are going great! The put on flowers and fruit on a regular basis and the plants are still only about 10 inches high, but the branches are extending about 6" beyond the edge of their container. I have 8 new plants going from harvested seeds and I gave away 6 plants to a friend last night. I may try to get enough seeds to share with our DIL out in Utah, since our son died 5 years ago she has been raising the Grandkids on her own, but she does a garden and was talking to us Sunday about trying to get fresh veggies in over the winter, these would be a good addition to salads.

I wish I could find a small cucumber plant that produced nice cucs but only grew to about the size of a 5 gallon bucket..... any suggestions?

I haven't tried these before. But they are a bush type with 18" vines. I'd bet there are other bush types available too. Just have to find one you like the taste and growth habit of

I haven't tried these before. But they are a bush type with 18" vines. I'd bet there are other bush types available too. Just have to find one you like the taste and growth habit of
Hey @Bacpacker what are these, I don't see a name or a link, but you definitely got my attention...
A bush cucumber is what I need to find.

Hey @Bacpacker what are these, I don't see a name or a link, but you definitely got my attention...
"Ferrymorse", (not the best), have a "Spacemaker" bush cucumber seed. I've had great luck with the plants in pots with tomatoes cage. They get about two feet tall and produce a lot of slicing cucumbers. I think I get these at Tractor Supply!?

who gets kissed is very new. it was released in 2015 after 7 years of breeding. several universities in u.s. are breeding up new heirlooms for farmers to be able to save seed and for better seed types for organic farming. top hat is one too and one called hawaii 7 of something like that.

https://ecals.cals.wisc.edu/2015/03/30/who-gets-kissed-sweet-corn-a-media-darling/
Thats very cool. 100 years since last OP sweet corn came out. It amazes me with the technology of today how far backward we have went in so many areas.

Sorry Urban, thought I included the link. Ill try and add with my phone. But may be tonight on my puter..
They are called Dar and I found them at Baker Creek seed

Thats very cool. 100 years since last OP sweet corn came out. It amazes me with the technology of today how far backward we have went in so many areas.

i know theres several individuals that have bred or are breeding up sweet corn. top hat has been out awhile...theres others out there. not sure why this corn has not taken off better. i think it has something to do with the name myself. i never even heard of the tradition that saying comes frome from..something about whoever back in the day shucked a ear of red corn got kissed at corn shucking. but anyhow..it doesnt roll off the tongue like it should and doesnt say corn to modern audiences.notice my picture mine are more white...i have plans for this corn to breed up my own variety to sale one day if possible. but before that i have to grow it out in volume to see how it produces. not 100% satisfied but it produced during heat and drought. i want to see it under great conditions and several 100 stalks.

Latest posts

Back