Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been ruminating on the bald facts that David the Good has been speaking on in regards to focusing on carbohydrates....things that fill you up and then adding higher food value crops.
I already know that Irish potatoes are a bust here in this part of the world even in what passes as winter.
I'm going to need to focus on cassava and sweet potatoes which do grow here.
My back yard soil isn't developed and it's rocks the size of my head held together with red clay.
So, I'm going to need to build raised beds to grow these root crops in.
The cheapest, 'easiest' way is to use roofing iron sheets and star pickets/ t posts and line the walk ways with weed mat.
I'm tired just thinking about it.
There's a lot of part shade out there from the mango trees and the bamboo and sweet potatoes are the only root crop I can think of that seems to thrive in a partical shade situation.
I have 4 useless raised beds that I spent a fortune on that I need to empty and take to the dump.
They are in the only full sun spot in the entire backyard.
I did want to plant either corn or cassava there.

I don't know where I am going to get the energy from to do this but if I'm serious about ramping up my food production it has to be done.

I've been ruminating on the bald facts that David the Good has been speaking on in regards to focusing on carbohydrates....things that fill you up and then adding higher food value crops.
I already know that Irish potatoes are a bust here in this part of the world even in what passes as winter.
My back yard soil isn't developed and it's rocks the size of my head held together with red clay.
The cheapest, 'easiest' way is to use roofing iron sheets and star pickets/ t posts and line the walk ways with weed mat.
There's a lot of part shade out there from the mango trees and the bamboo and sweet potatoes are the only root crop I can think of that seems to thrive in a partical shade situation.
I have 4 useless raised beds that I spent a fortune on that I need to empty and take to the dump.

I don't know where I am going to get the energy from to do this but if I'm serious about ramping up my food production it has to be done.
Do you like winter squash/pumpkins etc.?
@UrbanHunter I like beet tops in salad. I don't even like beets but plant them. Hubby likes beets so at the end of the season he get those - kinda a dual purpose plant. I think about 6" sounds right for harvesting the leaves.
The little try of spinach I planted last week is sprouting. It was old seed (2015) I gathered from a crop up the mountain. It says spinach takes 8-10 days to germinate & today is day 7 so hoping more sprout up. Yum.

@Tank-Girl
Go with hydroponics. You can do the Kratky Method that takes no electricity.
You can make the net cups from yogurt containers and a wood burning tool. Just make sure to do it in a well ventilated place.
You wouldn't even have to get rid of your raised beds. Just sit some storage containers on top of them with the right sized hole cut in the tops.
Just make sure the containers are black or you can cover them so the sun doesn't get to the water and turn it into algae

Theres videos on youtube about this
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Kratky+Method+Hydroponics

Love beets! On my list of things I want to plant. Not sure how they grow here. No one we know grow them around here.
Working on getting our seed order together. Going to order from baker creek this year. First time so pretty exciting. Going through seeds first to see what we want to plant from previous years and what we want to try new of.
Went through seed starting supplies yesterday to see what we will need for this year.
Tillers hooked up to the big tractor. Grounds getting pretty hard already with the lack of rain. Tilling “early” is better for our equipment but if we finally do get rain will turn the ground into a sloppy mess.
Getting excited about the 2022 garden season. Worked out a lot of good canning recipes last season. Can’t wait to get seeds started.

Can you get old tires? You can fill the tire wells with straw or wood chips, then the center with soil & compost and plant in them. Or even push them together to create a larger planting bed in the center. You can also paint them if it gets too hot in your area so the black of the tires don't overheat the soil & plants.

If you don't like the idea of the rubber tires and whatever chemicals......then what about other containers? There is a channel on YT that tells how to do self wicking container gardening. I have a friend that did this and she said it worked great. You can use whatever type of containers to plant in that you have or easy to get.

Filling Wick Tub with soil and fertilizer Ep 20A - YouTube

I have not used the wicking method, but do have a few containers that I plant in, in addition to my in ground garden. I'm all about reduce, reuse, recycle and have some old ice chests that the leak caps are missing or cracked inside that I use and old kiddie wading pools that have holes in the bottom (makes for good drainage). It may have that 'redneck' look, but I don't care what it looks like if it will help grow more food. Just some ideas for easy beds

PS......I've been hearing alot about planting in cardboard boxes as well

Seedless grape vine clones are starting to bud.

20220213_165808_HDR.jpg

A good signs but it is the roots that make the difference.

Ben

I was a wonderin'. It's pretty early.
I couldn't handle it, planted some hollyhocks in a tray today. Also, worked out in the yard as it was gorgeous out! Have a small raised bed that I prepared and next weekend will plant some scallions and radishes for hoots and giggles. By Oct. I will be dragging!

Today I separated some cherry tomato plants, I was hoping for 4 but ended up with 8.. I also repotted a cucumber, bell peppers, and a cabbage plant. I am using nursery containers in shallow tubs this year. During today's activities I discovered that I was out of the 2.7qt nursery pots that I was feeling good about, so I had to stop and order some....

I am hoping that the snow we had today provided enough water for the onion sets to get started. I did notice that the celery that was left in the ground over winter is starting to show some fresh green leaves.

Yesterday I saw some Easter displays out. I noticed that the HD and Lo's had their seed displays out, about half the size of previous years. I guess they don't expect people to be doing much gardening this year.

I saw a video of people growing strawberries in baskets, I asked the wife about it and her response was why put the plants up closer to the birds?

I noticed that about HD, too, not a whole lot out there. I keep checking the nurseries for when fruit trees are coming in, would like to plant more. I did get some big planting flats with the bottom and the plastic top at HD at good prices, about $5.98. I'm used to buying seeding soil mix, but I think I'll start screening the potting soil mix. I've seen that twice recently on youtube, and it's a good idea.

Outdoors it is still cold and frost/snow is still a regular thing so I think I will just keep doing mini-gardening inside until it warms up. That doesn't mean that I can't put out a bulb or two.

I need to get one of those little shovel things to remove the wild onions all over the yard, they come up first so if I am ready I could just dig them out and replace with soil... I also need to get wheel barrow handles, I was given one for free but it has a broken handle...

Now is the time between shadow and light when we must make our preparations for the coming day. :)

Outdoors it is still cold and frost/snow is still a regular thing so I think I will just keep doing mini-gardening inside until it warms up. That doesn't mean that I can't put out a bulb or two.

I need to get one of those little shovel things to remove the wild onions all over the yard, they come up first so if I am ready I could just dig them out and replace with soil... I also need to get wheel barrow handles, I was given one for free but it has a broken handle...

Now is the time between shadow and light when we must make our preparations for the coming day. :)
Look at the shape of some wheelbarrow handles on older wheelbarrows before you purchase some. Usually the most economical and straight sticks. If they curve a little a the back of the trough, it makes a difference when you are using it. I'm sure those manufacturing wheelbarrows and parts today have never had the pleasure of using one. Anyways, some are easier to use than others.

Today I made up some grow juice and watered the indoor plants (not the root plants), many of them had been growing for over 2 months and I was getting the feeling that they had stalled. I need to find some potassium or other food for the root plants, but I will need to do some more research on that.

My mid-sized (3 qt) nursery pots arrived, they will be the final home for my broccoli and cabbage plants. I may treat the cherry tomatoes in a similar manner only using larger pots....

I love the Totally Tomatoes seed catalog. This is where I found the Umberto seeds. They are small 2 oz tomato, but they produce up to 250 per plant.

They are heirloom.
I buy from many different companies, but totally tomatoes Is one I use.
I have got push back from people who do not understand that all Heirlooms & open pollen are hybrid.

I love the Totally Tomatoes seed catalog. This is where I found the Umberto seeds. They are small 2 oz tomato, but they produce up to 250 per plant.

They are heirloom.
I got a sample pack of 10 seeds of Umberto last year with a Gurney’s order. I started last weekend (I know early for my area but I’m getting antsy). The just broke through. I‘ve been using my cast iron radiators as heat mats.

Not sure if this is helpful for folks, but it's the kind of info. I think makes sense wherever you live. Thought I'd post it since we are coming on spring.
When locust blooms: transplant tomatoes, melons, etc.
When daffys bloom: plant root crops.
When apple blossoms fall: plant squash & legumes.

Latest posts

Back