Garden 2022

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just cut a limb of one of my plants, cut off the lower leaves, and stick it in water for a few days. This one rooted in less than a week.
If you want you could dip the stem in rooting hormone. When you plant if, bury it up to the lowest leaves left. The entire stem will root.

I've literally taken broken tomato plants, pulled out the disconnected roots and stuck the stem in the same hole and they survive. I just give them some extra water for the first few days until they start to perk up, they do look completely wilted and dead when you first replant them but they recover usually.

I've literally taken broken tomato plants, pulled out the disconnected roots and stuck the stem in the same hole and they survive. I just give them some extra water for the first few days until they start to perk up, they do look completely wilted and dead when you first replant them but they recover usually.
Same here. I think they suffer more, but once they take off you can't tell much difference

I watched a guy talking about collecting and replanting tomato seeds. It looks simple enough he said to just collect the seeds and they will just sprout if you keep them on a moist paper towel. Wow have I been over thinking this thing!

I watched a guy talking about collecting and replanting tomato seeds. It looks simple enough he said to just collect the seeds and they will just sprout if you keep them on a moist paper towel. Wow have I been over thinking this thing!
I had been letting fallen fruit provide all of my tomato plants for years. They are latter than inside sprouts but work good for me.

Elderberry update.

20220714_172821_HDR.jpg

The Princess is about 5'4"

20220714_172830.jpg

Ben

So here are the tomato plants that I want
P_20220714_175857_p.jpg

I took 2 tomatoes and gathered some seeds
P_20220714_180534_p.jpg

And planted them in a starter cup.

P_20220714_180642_p.jpg

I covered them lightly, added water and placed the cup in my growing station. Now for the HARD PART... I have to wait and see........

I have been busy, at the indoor growing station I now have 6 pots of carrots going, 2 are ready to go outside for the final little bit before harvest. I have a bunch of lettuce ready to move outdoors and I have another starter pot with lettuce ready to subdivide. My Siam tomatoes are producing about 4 tomatoes per plant per week now. I am still waiting for my seeding attempt to show signs of life. I also have 6 broccoli plants ready to move outdoors as soon as I can find a place for them.

The outdoor garden is doing well and other than a second ground hog visit things are getting ready for harvesting. My cucumbers are not 7' tall and full of flowers and tiny fruit. Just good times watching things grow. Oh, the new bed that I just made (the one in the shade) has already sprouted beets, so that will keep the wife going till October.

I'm feeding a few thousand grasshoppers...
:/ they have ate most everything. My squash plants do ok but they keep eating the flowers. Tomatoes have survived so far. The bigger onions are ok.
They dont like rosemary or lavender
I broke down and am utilizing sevin but still ..there are probably millions in this high valley..its overwhelming.
I could get bait but to risk my chickens is unacceptable.
I guess in a shtf situation, I'd try to grow as much indoors as possible n kill as many of the lil bastards that I could n save them for chicken winter feed. Or grasshopper stew..lol..
Gah...

I'm feeding a few thousand grasshoppers...
:/ they have ate most everything. My squash plants do ok but they keep eating the flowers. Tomatoes have survived so far. The bigger onions are ok.
They dont like rosemary or lavender
I broke down and am utilizing sevin but still ..there are probably millions in this high valley..its overwhelming.
I could get bait but to risk my chickens is unacceptable.
I guess in a shtf situation, I'd try to grow as much indoors as possible n kill as many of the lil bastards that I could n save them for chicken winter feed. Or grasshopper stew..lol..
Gah...
Any way to get the thickens to help?

Ben

What are you using Azomite for.
I plan to use it as a soil admendment. Something like 70 trace minerals and nutrients in it. I've never used it before, but Peanut has recommended it a few times on here. I finally found some I could get sent here reasonably. Peanut has been growing food long enough, I'll take his word on it.

Still picking maters, cukes, and peppers every other day. I had to freeze 2 gallon bags on maters tonight, more later this week as they get fully ripe. Canning has been put on hold with the wife laid up. But we are sure enjoying eating what we are harvesting.
On the down side, deer ate up all my green beans and sweet taters I just harvested. Doubtful they'll come back. Okra still looks good.

Still picking maters, cukes, and peppers every other day. I had to freeze 2 gallon bags on maters tonight, more later this week as they get fully ripe. Canning has been put on hold with the wife laid up. But we are sure enjoying eating what we are harvesting.
On the down side, deer ate up all my green beans and sweet taters I just harvested. Doubtful they'll come back. Okra still looks good.
Hope she's healing BP. Also, deer have helped themselves to some of my scarlet runners - erg!

Hopefully getting some rain today, went to Walmart, everything has gone up since last week, I can’t afford groceries any more, no chicken at all, I just cannot understand why they cannot keep chicken stocked! We have 5-6 chicken plants around here, I know they have N O shortage, just greedy government and people.

Raspberries a plenty here- and our first blueberries- I only have 8 bushes, and probably won't get enough to freeze so might up them, depending on the cost. Started to collect nasturtium seed and popping them about for next year flowering. Have to transplant the chamomile I grew from seed and pick blackcurrants. I've been harvesting chard and spinach as lettuce and using kale and cabbage also.
Is there a seed swop thread here? Though maybe I'm too far away.

Raspberries a plenty here- and our first blueberries- I only have 8 bushes, and probably won't get enough to freeze so might up them, depending on the cost. Started to collect nasturtium seed and popping them about for next year flowering. Have to transplant the chamomile I grew from seed and pick blackcurrants. I've been harvesting chard and spinach as lettuce and using kale and cabbage also.
Got around fifty blueberry plants, five varieties & I only got a hand full because of a late May frost that killed the little green berries.
The rows of Raspberries have grown into a patch, I have to mow the path or furrow out in the spring just to get to the berries.
Pear, Japanese pissimons & grape do well here.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a particular thread on Seed Swaps. I usually will just post something in this thread.

Chickens n turkeys....they help till they are beyond full...but millions of them..uggh..
Need more fowl, chicks cleaned out fleas in a pen we kelp dogs in after the dog found a new home.
It sounds like you have locust.

Last edited:
This is a nice day starting out. Last night I mowed the lawn with the temperatures at 90 with 90% it took its toll on my body, had leg cramps and chills last night.

Woke up and checked my indoor growing station and was pleased to find a dozen Siam Tomatoes up, this was really exciting for me because I collected the seeds and planted using 2 methods, what was really surprising was that both starter cups came up on the same day. I had collected and dried seeds and then planted them 2 weeks ago, then I collected and planted wet seeds last week, they both came up today. It really made my day. I plan to keep collecting as many seeds as I can off my 2 parent plants.

I need to do some weeding and go to W-mart to get makings for some slug traps as they ate a batch of my spinach sprouts (not happy).

My squash are now making fruit and the squash bugs have arrived, I need to figure out how to contain them before it gets out of hand.

The storm that rolled through knocked over one of my pole bean trellises, it rotated clockwise still leaning against the house, the plants didn't seem to be impacted much, but it did make the total length of the beans about 6' longer.

I have 2 starter cups of lettuce that need to be subdivided and 19 plants that need to go outside, this should fill up this weekend.

My San Marzanio Tomatoes are starting to turn red, I can see canning on the horizon. ;)

The cucumber plants are now 8' tall and are covered with flowers and small cucumbers.

Yep, with so many things growing it is just a good day.

Took a few photos this morning- the random heat we had means things are not as lush as they were!
Anyway in the polytunnel are winter cabbages, peas, potatoes and strawberries - seeds I'm trying out such as lupin and chamolime, poppy and pumpkin
then in the middle and at the back are tomatoes, broccoli, swiss chard, corn, parsnip and sunflowers. The hens are next to the raspberry patch, then in the outside veg garden are a few empty beds, I just lifted potatoes - rhubarb, apples, blueberries, onions, peas, cabbage, turnip, kale, broccoli, more corn and leek.
IMG_20220721_112930.jpg

IMG_20220721_112935.jpg

IMG_20220721_112942.jpg

IMG_20220721_113007.jpg

IMG_20220721_113401.jpg

IMG_20220721_114019.jpg

IMG_20220721_114038.jpg

IMG_20220721_114048.jpg

Latest posts

Back