GARDEN 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit difficult going either way. We moved from zone 5a to zone 7a. I've had to learn to give plants more room because they grow sooo much!
Precisely my concern!

That plant is the smallest and least developed of the the four clones from the root ball thingies. The flowers may be a sign the plant is stressed and desperately try to produce fruit to propagate it's DNA before it dies. Sorta sarcastic seeing it is a seedless variety. ;)

Cutting the flower may be the right thing to save the plant. But the curious side of me wonders just how small a grape vine can produce fruit.

Options welcome.

Fo ahead and tell me what tou think I should do.

Ben

Today I finished raising the level in 1 of my raised beds, I used a mixture of recycled container soil and 2 bags of potting mix, in total I added about 12 cubic feet of material. I was able to plant some onions and spinach. Then I moved to working in the greenhouse, I installed 4 of the purple grow lights, then I started moving plants from the indoor growing station to the greenhouse, I moved brussels sprouts, eggplants, some bell peppers, a couple of greenhouse cucumbers, and some older tomatoes. Then I moved to working at the indoor growing station, I re-potted 3 of the new tomatoes (2nd generation SIAM tomatoes) and started moving the salad stuff around to give it more room to grow.

The temperature is 40F now, tomorrow we are forecast for snow/rain with a high of 35F, the low is expected to be in the mid 20s. Crazy weather at best.

Baby asparagus plants! I’m excited. These are the first few that popped up — not sure how many we’ll get, but I planted the whole packet, which was 35 seeds.
8E866EEA-C4A5-4DB2-8F31-856279F46376.jpeg

I'll be getting garden in next week while I'm off work for spring break. I usually plant mid-march anyways to avoid late freezes. Hopefully I'll have my chicken coop finished by then so all of my focus can be on the garden. I'm planning to do tomatoes, peppers, several types of squash, zucchini, beans, bit late but maybe some carrots, cantaloupe and watermelon. Might do a few cucumbers as well. Mainly I'm focusing on the things that I can/pickle and that we eat regularly. Not really a lot of time for experiments this year.

I'll be getting garden in next week while I'm off work for spring break. I usually plant mid-march anyways to avoid late freezes. Hopefully I'll have my chicken coop finished by then so all of my focus can be on the garden. I'm planning to do tomatoes, peppers, several types of squash, zucchini, beans, bit late but maybe some carrots, cantaloupe and watermelon. Might do a few cucumbers as well. Mainly I'm focusing on the things that I can/pickle and that we eat regularly. Not really a lot of time for experiments this year.
Might check out the 4 kinds of squash thread so you don’t end up with funky crosses. Don’t ask me why I suggest this 😗🎶 🙄

Might check out the 4 kinds of squash thread so you don’t end up with funky crosses. Don’t ask me why I suggest this 😗🎶 🙄
Haha, I grow the same ones ever year with no issues. Usually yellow summer squash, spaghetti squash, scallop squash and grey zucchini.

But that does bring to mind the year my sister grew spaghetti squah next to watermelon..... suffice to say, the kids were disappointed 🤣

I’ve never had problems with squash crossing with each other or with watermelon, but I also don’t save the seeds, because I do plant them all near each other.

I’m really interested that some people have had trouble with them just by planting them close by. That hasn’t been my experience, they seem to be fine for me.

I also picked up a new raised bed kit today, so that’s on my to-do list so that I can replace the ones we have, slowly. They’re old enough that they’re starting to break down. Debating if I want to paint this one to help it last longer, and blend in with the house better.

I’ve never had problems with squash crossing with each other or with watermelon, but I also don’t save the seeds, because I do plant them all near each other.

I’m really interested that some people have had trouble with them just by planting them close by. That hasn’t been my experience, they seem to be fine for me.

I also picked up a new raised bed kit today, so that’s on my to-do list so that I can replace the ones we have, slowly. They’re old enough that they’re starting to break down. Debating if I want to paint this one to help it last longer, and blend in with the house better.
My sister used fresh seeds and had them planted in containers near each other. They got really big and she though the watermelon plants lived and the squash died. Ended up with spaghetti squash that had watermelon color, pattern and size but squash inside 🤷‍♀️

I will draw my garden plans this weekend! I always draw a map of what's going where and improvements I must make over the last year. I keep notes on soil, pests, etc.! Hoping for a great gardening year!!
I have been planning mine as well. Was able to get my tomato plants this weekend. Already have my seeds. Just have to work on my raised beds and do a few more things to my greenhouse to get it ready. I love this time of year. Feels good to get things done around the house, inside and out.

EVERYTHING here is early.... soooo...i planted some potatoes early just to knocked the winter stink off me....20 hills of purple fingerlings and 7 hills of Makah Tribe fingerlings. transplanted some hoss tool thom onions and planted some shallot sets i had. tilled and cultivated the collards and kale that survived winter in hopes of getting some greens before they bolt.

ordered more apple scion to graft with.

EVERYTHING here is early.... soooo...i planted some potatoes early just to knocked the winter stink off me....20 hills of purple fingerlings and 7 hills of Makah Tribe fingerlings. transplanted some hoss tool thom onions and planted some shallot sets i had. tilled and cultivated the collards and kale that survived winter in hopes of getting some greens before they bolt.

ordered more apple scion to graft with.
Sorry if you've already said it previously, but where do you get your seed spuds?

Sorry if you've already said it previously, but where do you get your seed spuds?
local...the purple fingerlings came from local organic market over 6 years ago. the Makah Tribe potatoes came from my garden friend Martin Longseth who is now deceased. the Makah is super hard to get and not seen them available in years online. you could/should be able to find some in certain markets in Washington.

they go by a couple names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozette_potato
i had some red fingerlings but they failed last year. i hope to see them at market here to grab some.

seed potato cost is through the roof here now. was $21-22 last year now $29 a 50#.the other place is $50 for 50#.

local...the purple fingerlings came from local organic market over 6 years ago. the Makah Tribe potatoes came from my garden friend Martin Longseth who is now deceased. the Makah is super hard to get and not seen them available in years online. you could/should be able to find some in certain markets in Washington.

they go by a couple names

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozette_potato
i had some red fingerlings but they failed last year. i hope to see them at market here to grab some.

seed potato cost is through the roof here now. was $21-22 last year now $29 a 50#.the other place is $50 for 50#.
Thank you! I know you've spoken of your friend Martin re. garlic also (if I'm remembering correctly). I've not found a really good spud variety for flavor, growing, and storing. I've not gone too deeply into figuring it out, just seem to try a few different ones each year. I would like to find a good one or two varieties.

You all are helping me realize that I am way behind. I need to clean up the garden from the fall and add some mulch. I'll start my seeds next week. Plant outdoor stuff around April to avoid any frost. Going to be a smaller garden for the next couple of years as my job will take me out of state for a while. Wife only wants the minimum in the garden while I'm away.

Thank you! I know you've spoken of your friend Martin re. garlic also (if I'm remembering correctly). I've not found a really good spud variety for flavor, growing, and storing. I've not gone too deeply into figuring it out, just seem to try a few different ones each year. I would like to find a good one or two varieties.

kennebec variety

for my entire life a local distributor ordered a tractor trailer or two each year of seed potatoes and surrounding little stores and feed stores always sold them. up until plague hit and maine had a crop failure and a limited harvest of seed potatoes one year also. until then i never seen potatoes not available in my region.

i couldnt imagine cost of shipping a single sack 50# of seed potatoes at current rates.

things are changing and i dont like it one bit. multi generational family stores closing,mom and pop feed stores gone,little produce stands gone and so much more.

something else is onion slips. either cant find them or been sold out as soon as they get them the last 4 years. buddy says he only seen slips once. plenty of sets to be bought though.i want slips to get better variety types. just goes back to do everything yourself with minimum outside inputs.

i will be making two type onion sets come mid summer for next years spring planting. martins yellow amish bottle onion and a red french onion for keeping.

Last edited:
Got another load of compost. It only filled 3 of the 4 remaining. 2 of them were near half way down. The wood I loaded in them is rotting and compost settling. Shoveled all after noon. Had to haul 2 of the beds filling in 5 gallon buckets. Gonna have to get another load and hope that'll finish them off. I one left to build and it'll take a lot to fill it, plus nearly half of the remaining 12' bed..
Also received my 50lb bag of 0-46-0 fertilize. I couldn't source it locally, so ordered it on-line. The Fed Ex driver was bitching about the weight.
Seems like I never have enough time...or energy to finish all I want to.

Back