GARDEN 2023

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted potato onions & some store bought garlic that sprouted.
Also three kinds of radish seeds & Bulls blood beets.

Lots of little sproutlings: peppers 5-6 varieties, tomatoes 5-6 varieties, basil - just 4 to fill the cells. Funny tomato story~ I had an envelope from 2017 that just said "tomatoes, good slicers and canners." That's it. So I planted them to see if any were viable - yep all of them 😂 Have no idea what kind so labeled them as "mystery." They were the first ones to sprout! If they are good, I might keep more seeds to have future mystery tomatoes 😉

Lots of little sproutlings: peppers 5-6 varieties, tomatoes 5-6 varieties, basil - just 4 to fill the cells. Funny tomato story~ I had an envelope from 2017 that just said "tomatoes, good slicers and canners." That's it. So I planted them to see if any were viable - yep all of them 😂 Have no idea what kind so labeled them as "mystery." They were the first ones to sprout! If they are good, I might keep more seeds to have future mystery tomatoes 😉
I have found seeds in my freezer with no labels! Always fun to find out what kind of tomato or pepper you might get!!

Checked my watermelon seeds a while ago, and they've already germinated... gonna plant this batch on the northeast corner of my property, as it is open and receives full sun. I'm just having a cold beer before I don work boots and grab the shovel... good thing I bought those sacks of soil & soil conditioner the other day, I didn't expect these melon seeds to sprout so quickly. These are NOT the melon seeds Weedy sent to me ("Thanks, Weedy!"), these are the ones I kept from last season. The ones Weedy sent will be germinated once these are out of the way and in the ground. I'm gonna have the largest melon patch south of Green River, UT, don'tcha know? :thumbs:

Might have to load some halite (rock salt) shells in the ol' shotgun, lol, per this Elvin Bishop tune... :oops:

Stealin' Watermelons

Meh, if the tweekin' crackerheads are busy stealin' melons, maybe they won't notice the weed plants, lol... ;)

Tomatoes are doing fantastic things. Peppers are pulling up the rear

21C0A2E4-9C89-4444-B18D-62BA4C9D135D.jpeg
638BE181-B441-4A69-B6D9-E36E20F7B5D6.jpeg

Got the first round of germinated melon seeds in the ground, we'll see how they do... I'll plant more once I get the seeds started, this is just the first round. I'm pretty sure winter is over here, but I wanna play it safe, lol. That goes double for the Purple African Magic seedlings, they weren't cheap but I have "high hopes" for 'em! Couldn't resist the bad pun, lol. :cool:

Fruit trees are happy & healthy, I'm gonna pick up an apple tree soon and get it into the ground... I'm a bit bummed because I apparently missed the "sale window" (February) for pecan trees at our local orchards, and pistachio nut trees are heller expensive. I'll figure out how to score those nut trees in due time, but I ain't payin' $300 for pistachios, lol... 😒

Got the first round of germinated melon seeds in the ground, we'll see how they do... I'll plant more once I get the seeds started, this is just the first round. I'm pretty sure winter is over here, but I wanna play it safe, lol. That goes double for the Purple African Magic seedlings, they weren't cheap but I have "high hopes" for 'em! Couldn't resist the bad pun, lol. :cool:

Fruit trees are happy & healthy, I'm gonna pick up an apple tree soon and get it into the ground... I'm a bit bummed because I apparently missed the "sale window" (February) for pecan trees at our local orchards, and pistachio nut trees are heller expensive. I'll figure out how to score those nut trees in due time, but I ain't payin' $300 for pistachios, lol... 😒
There seems to be an endless variety of apple trees. We have a cider pressing each Oct. The macintosh has been one of the favorites of many. I got one last year- so far it’s still alive 😁

started some seed today. it really got cold here during the night...low 20's and put a hurt on stuff in garden. onions and garlic even looked a bit haggered.

growing peppers from saved seed.i cant remember if i have grown peppers from my own seed. i saved so much seed and done so much i just forget.been awhile if i had.this doe hill pepper is the best...funny story..watching the waltons the other day corabeth godsey said she was leaving and going back to doe hill. thats the same doe hill where this pepper originated from.the seed folks got them there from an old timer in that area that had been growing them little fruity peppers forever and a day....lol

@Bacpacker grow doe hill ! trust me

https://natureandnurtureseeds.com/products/doe-hill-pepper?variant=12994879455320

Ill order some of those. I love sweet peppers. We usually do California wonders. But flavor varies a lot, some aren't so sweet.
Thanks for the heads up
only grew them twice so far. the first year all other bought peppers died of disease and doe hill didnt. i only seen about 2-3 leaves show disease and it might not been then they could have been broken during picking etc.

they can sit on counter a very long time and are thick walled too.

rain is headed in so i jumped in garden with tiller and tilled up a narrow section and put in two rows of oregon sugar pod2's. old lady gardener here use to plant her peas on feb 1st no matter what. this was back in late 1920's when my granny was young and she worked for her.

only grew them twice so far. the first year all other bought peppers died of disease and doe hill didnt. i only seen about 2-3 leaves show disease and it might not been then they could have been broken during picking etc.

they can sit on counter a very long time and are thick walled too.

rain is headed in so i jumped in garden with tiller and tilled up a narrow section and put in two rows of oregon sugar pod2's. old lady gardener here use to plant her peas on feb 1st no matter what. this was back in late 1920's when my granny was young and she worked for her.
Weel you sure steered me right on the Martins Heirloom Garlic. Gotta try these peppers too.

Edit: Got the peppers ordered. Also picked up some short vined butternutt squash I thought might work in a raised bed

Butterbush Winter Squash Seeds

Last edited:
glanced over at a pot and seen green. despite cold temps seed from skillcult i planted last year just popped up.its going to get cold tonight and might hit the teens. i am excited and these are red fleshed apple that were open pollinated and the little stems are redish in color.

I brought everything inside, glad I didn't plant anything yet. Freeze warning here tonight, until 9 a.m. tomorrow. Saw some little green buds popping out on a small tree. After all the rain the other day (Thursday) it looked like absolute spring, and now some more frosties.

I brought everything inside, glad I didn't plant anything yet. Freeze warning here tonight, until 9 a.m. tomorrow. Saw some little green buds popping out on a small tree. After all the rain the other day (Thursday) it looked like absolute spring, and now some more frosties.
Yep, it's 3:15am and it's 26°! Thank you global warming !

My rhubarb is sprouting up - maybe an inch up through the earth. Also, took a close look and it appears at this point that all of our fruit trees have lived through winter. I have them in gihugant pots so if we find a place to buy, we can plant them where they will go. I'm aware they will probably end up stunted, but for now, I'd rather have them than not.

I looked at the 10 day weather forecast this morning. Lows in the high 30s to low 40s; highs in the high 40s to low 70s; and Rain for 9 of the next 10 days. During my lunch break I went out and turned on my rain water collection system, checked the delivery lines, and closed the drain valve and sight glass connection. I need to make a short tee with a water spigot and sight glass connection inside my little greenhouse. This way I can easily check my levels in any kind of weather and can water the plants without carrying buckets of water through the house.

The wife say's I'm early, but I just couldn't wait :)

Reworked an apple tree whip i planted a couple of years ago for grafting on to it. its grown nicely so grafted black strawberry on it i got from skillcult and its a fuji apple tree.the scion is expensive but i was able to cut it into 4 sections as it was filled with buds. i had a hard time holding the short scions and had to have glasses on for sure with such close up work. but now the tree can be two kinds of apples.

more grafting to go.

Back