Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my notes somewhere... I have 6 or 7 species listed that I know are used for migraines. World wide there are more than 20 species. I'm not sure of the others or your vine.

There is a species in Australia that the aboriginals used. They actually named it 'headache vine'.

So sorry, i've never heard of your vine. :(
I will have to look and see if there’s a more accurate name I kept the tag.

1713677357278.png

This is the pine bark fines that I going to mulch my blue berry plants with & use are potting median.
Not as good or as cheap as Peanuts acre of sand dust, but it will do. We cleaned out old sawdust piles in this area thirty years ago.
Rotten sawdust is like gold here.

We had rain all day yesterday (that's crazy where I live) so I checked my plants this morning. They are producing like all get out. I've even got 4 baby cucumbers. The bad news is that my wife got to tell me "I told you so" in that I had to replace the hooks that I have the sun screen on because the plants have gotten so tall that they reach the screen. I also have to retie them to the braces.

Understand that them looking great now means nothing. Last year looked to be a great year & then the sun came out. Two weeks of sun & nothing was alive.

I was surprised to see small grapes forming on one of my grape vine clones today.

20240421_143310.jpg

I got all of my spuds in the ground except the True Potato Seeds. The TPS got transplanted into their own 4x4 inch pots.

20240421_143330_HDR.jpg

I still have almost a month until I am past the threat of frost. The TPS seedlings will be allowed to stay inside until there is a window free of frost before they move outside.

Ben

Today we had fresh salad out of the outdoor garden... Spinach and 3 kinds of lettuce, it was pleasant. We have enough ready to harvest to start eating large salads every night now.

I gave up on the over-wintered broccoli, it just bolted and was taking up valuable space, so I pulled it. Then I dug up that bed, there was a thick mat of roots about 3 inches down, so I kept digging down till I had removed most of them... I ended up digging down about 18"... :(

I amended and replanted that bed with spinach and onions. I had a couple of bare spots in other beds so I planted some radish seeds...

Final note, we are expecting a freeze tonight, I went back out an closed the raised bed lids and covered my squash plants... I am so glad that my tomatoes are still safe in the house. ;)

It is going to dip into the low 40's here, then sixty & higher for the next month, so still hoping that my blue berries will not freeze this year.

Old sayin' in these parts... Pecan trees only flower after the last frost. They are flowering here now.

Funny, i had forgotten about this sayin', hadn't heard it since i was a kid. Heard it again yesterday.
Old saying I learned here in Texas, " don't take your flannel sheets off until Mother's Day"!! 🤔😧 Will be in the 40's here tonight!!

Old sayin' in these parts... Pecan trees only flower after the last frost. They are flowering here now.

Funny, i had forgotten about this sayin', hadn't heard it since i was a kid. Heard it again yesterday.
The same s said about blackberry plants, which are blooming & setting fruit.

Old saying I learned here in Texas, " don't take your flannel sheets off until Mother's Day"!! 🤔😧 Will be in the 40's here tonight!!
I'm starting to think that Mother Nature heard the talk about Global Warming & figured that she would make liars out of all of them. This is starting out to be a record low year for us here in San Angelo. And yes, I'm still tired of the cold weather!

I'm starting to think that Mother Nature heard the talk about Global Warming & figured that she would make liars out of all of them. This is starting out to be a record low year for us here in San Angelo. And yes, I'm still tired of the cold weather!
It's 39° up my way this morning!! I'm ready for some global warming!!😧

year round here !! i like the feel of them after a hard day.

I’ll be picking the flower heads later today and tomorrow before I mow the lawn. I’ll be saving them, dried, for using as natural dye for my yarn.
How about using them in Potpourri...?!?

Looking Out thru the carport... 1st is left side, 2nd is the Right Side...

Attachments

• Apr232024 001.jpg
    Apr232024 001.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Apr232024 002.jpg
    Apr232024 002.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Greenhouse update.

Newly potted grape vine clones.

20240423_192359.jpg

TPS seedlings

20240423_192413.jpg

Tomato seedlings

20240423_192418.jpg

Blackberry seedlings

20240423_192436_HDR.jpg

Second pot of grape vine clones

20240423_192454_HDR.jpg

Tomorrow night we have a hard freeze scheduled. I have to wait to get things outside.

Ben

Got a garden planted at the new place. Everything is doing well and coming up. HOWEVER, the dagblamed caterpillars are terrible this year! I'm knocking dozens off and killing each day. Dusted everything with DE this evening so I hope it helps.

Welp...DE did nothing and I just killed 2 dozen piters on and around my sprouts 😡 So tomorrow I'll see if I can dig up the BT at the other place to spray this weekend. I'm sick of the dangblamed piters everywhere!!!

Planted 183 potatoes yesterday! Yay!
Got them in before the rain, and on a day for planting root crops (according to Farmer's Almanac).

Varieties:
Early Ohio
Goldrush
Kennebec
Huckleberry Gold
Norkotah
Carola
Montana
Butte
You counted them 😲. I didn’t know I was supposed to be counting them- I just plant til the plot is full 🫣

Does anyone have honeysuckle? Mine still looks dead. It shouldn’t be and maybe just late but ??? 😕

Back