Garden 2024!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours is blooming, along with the Mayapples and Blackberries
Our weather seems pretty close to yours normally (zone 7). It was sorta expensive- a Japanese honeysuckle with crystal white blooms and just a fringe of pink around the edges. Was beautiful last year and went into winter looking fine.

I hate losing expensive plants. Our honeysuckle is native. And quite a pestilence. It does smell wonderful in bloom
Ditto That!

We had a sub 10 degree F with high winds that result in lower than freezing in the greenhouse. Killed a $50 coffee tree! Bummer.

Ben

1714019009764.png

In bloom for seven days

I hate losing expensive plants. Our honeysuckle is native. And quite a pestilence. It does smell wonderful in bloom
If you have an expensive vine set a flat rock/stepping stone(1-2" thick) against the base of the trunk. This will keep the roots cool in the heat of summer & warm in the coldest winter night.

I ended up with a bunch of volunteer strawberries (thought they died) and carrots that were planted a year ago, didn't expect them. Another pleasant surprise was my 2 year old okra seeds, I planted 2 in each starter cup expecting poor germination, so for it looks like I got about 90% germination.

Last edited:
You counted them 😲. I didn’t know I was supposed to be counting them- I just plant til the plot is full 🫣

Does anyone have honeysuckle? Mine still looks dead. It shouldn’t be and maybe just late but ??? 😕
Which one, the wild red honeysuckle or the Asian yellow/white one.
Or are you talking about a hybrid from over one hundred honey suckles?

My garden is now on pre-spring hold... I am having some good luck with cool weather plants, but a lot of the stuff that does not like cool nights is going to have to stay indoors. The few warm days we had really put a hurt on the cool weather plants in the greenhouse, I think it saw 105F just before we had 3 nights of frost...

Last night I harvested rosemary per wife's request... she was wanting 7 Table spoons of finely chopped rosemary. To be honest I was not able to harvest enough to meet that demand without seriously damaging the plants. I did harvest about 4 hand fulls, but after cleaning (she only wanted soft green leaves) and chopping it really compressed the volume. I only have 2 rosemary plants, but I may need to plant some more....

Tonight I need to harvest parsley, she says she needs a lot! I have two plants outside that are about 2' high and across, hope there's enough.

I'm waiting for her to ask for oregano, my plant is 10 years old but it keeps coming back.

I admire that. It's so... 'go with the flow.'
I don't know how to do that. :oops:
Charting every square foot and drawing it up is my favorite part of gardening. 😅
We should work together - we'd either get along great or kill each other 😂 The mapping it out is the worse part for me. I only do it because I am forced to if I want to "remember" which tomato did well or what grew best in this space sort of thing. If my brain would just remember it accurately, I wouldn't put anything on paper 😊 I've always thought it would be interesting to track the harvest, but by that time, I am in canning/preserving mode and don't waste the time to do that.
Which one, the wild red honeysuckle or the Asian yellow/white one.
Or are you talking about a hybrid from over one hundred honey suckles?
I kept the tag. I will take a pix of it this evening. I doubt it's an heirloom variety.

I've always thought it would be interesting to track the harvest, but by that time, I am in canning/preserving mode and don't waste the time to do that.
I'm guilty of this too. I do really good detailing what is planted where. Even when I fertilize or amend stuff early on. But by the time harvest starts I don't record anything. I really need to get back on that better this year

Got the last of my plants for the year... 6 bell and 2 tabasco peppers. Happened to see 2 lemon balm plants. Need to make a batch of shingles medicine this summer. Lemon Balm mixed with Self Heal will put the Zoster virus into remission in a couple days.

The cilantro is from last week, needs to be in the ground today!

20240425_1pl19.jpg

Planted a raspberry amd black berry in the raspberry bed. Trimmed the old shoots and wedded. This has to be done delicately because that is where my pest control system is frequently found. Found 3 today.

20240425_145623_HDR.jpg

20240425_145932_HDR.jpg

20240425_151652_HDR.jpg

I need more mulch.

20240425_152015_HDR.jpg

Ben

I’ve been planting my broccoli a few every night after supper. Still have about 5 but those are going in a raised bed. The others are in either pots or grow bags. Cabbages are next and half of them will be going up to my brother’s next trip up. I’ll be moving the tomatoes and peppers out to the greenhouse this weekend.

Big bear roaming around the last bit...he tore a blue bird house off fence post thats been there since 80 or 81...that thing has raised as many as 3 clutches a year in it. Old guy built it is dead and gone for a long while.

The garden has a decent start this year. 1st pic, got 30 pepper plants set out, jalapeno, cayenne, tabasco, bell and sweet peppers. And 6 basil plants.

Lettuce and cabbages looking good. Have a few turnip greens too. Last fall’s onions are going to seed.

The first row of sweetcorn is up, gonna plant every 10 days. Should enjoy sweetcorn for over a month.

20240426_grd519a.jpg20240426_grd541a.jpg20240426_grd547a.jpg20240426_grd620a.jpg

The garden has a decent start this year. 1st pic, got 30 pepper plants set out, jalapeno, cayenne, tabasco, bell and sweet peppers. And 6 basil plants.

Lettuce and cabbages looking good. Have a few turnip greens too. Last fall’s onions are going to seed.

The first row of sweetcorn is up, gonna plant every 10 days. Should enjoy sweetcorn for over a month.

View attachment 128844View attachment 128845View attachment 128847View attachment 128848
How do you keep deer out of your garden?

Back