Gardening on the dark side

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I have a friend who was a biology major in college. He discussed poppy seeds with a professor. Evidently they are treated somehow so that they won't sprout. Professor told him that if he tried to grow some from the spice jar you can buy in the grocery store, some might likely sprout. He tried, they did. My Czech g grandmothers grew poppy seeds for kolache, buchty and poppy seed cake.
We have them here and there on the property. nobody knows how they got here.

Hmm. poppy seed and Mary bitters? now that sounds like a plan!

We have them here and there on the property. nobody knows how they got here.

Hmm. poppy seed and Mary bitters? now that sounds like a plan!
You have the poppies that the kind that are banned in America?

There are many kinds of poppies. The ones that are used for cooking are illegal to grow. I do have some seeds for Hungarian poppies grown for bread making.

You may remember me telling about my g grandmother, who like most Bohemian and Moravian women from the Czech Republic, grew their own poppies for baking. They used them in kolaches, buchty (poppy filled roll) and poppy seed cake. When g grandma had a fussy baby, she would break off one flower and put the stem in the baby's mouth to calm them down. I heard my grandmother and great aunts talk about how they were not allowed to grow their own poppies for seed now because of the illegality, so they bought them for their Bohemian rolls.

No idea. they're red and get about 3' tall.
I don't know if they are or aren't the kind that are seeds for cooking. There are many varieties of poppies and I don't know which ones are edible or not, but I did find this online:
poppy seeds poppy varieties.JPG

Well, you can eat or smoke those legally now in most of the states. Marijuana has thousands of uses medically, in food or just chilling out.

I never smoked grass/weed but I did smoke cannabis resin back in the day.
Even better! A bit of hash is good for the soul.

Ditto. Nobody to blame but yourself if it all turns south am I right?
I hate having underlings myself. I always got yelled at for their foolishness.

Likewise. Most of us here are like that. Like a circle of porcupines.

Now me, I'm that creepy guy at the end of the road who lives behind uncut hedges in the trailer with
the big short wave antenna on the roof, the grass that gets cut three times a year, and the sign on the gate that says "Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here!" Often seen cleaning multiple guns on the porch and drinking PBR with a lime twist. Kits/punks don't troll me. I'm that "devil-worshipping" nut with a sword and all the cats, possums, and raccoons running around.

I'm the big guy with a full beard and long hair that is always dressed in camo.
that guy that talks to the animals.
We sound like kindred spirits dude.
I have a colony of raccoons and 4 opossums that have dinner with me every night. most of them answer to their names as well. Of course, I'd never grab one up and pet it, unless they wanted me to. One of the little raccoons knows to come get me out of bed when he's hungry or the others root him out. then there's Hoover the possum, he vacuums the floor for me. I'm wondering what Ma Wildcat will think when she finally circles in to spend the winter. LOL
Pity badgers don't live here.

we have badgers living on one of our country walks but they only come out after dark.
our largest wild animal is a Red deer, no Moose or Elk over here. no Bears.
plenty of small game Rabbits, Ducks, Geese, Pheasants, Wood Pigeons, Squirrels, Wild Boar, the most vicious is Wild Mink but dont see them unless your a fisherman/angler.

Last edited:
Did I hear you say you were a trapper? Do you have any tips? I'm a snare man myself. I hate the paperwork you have to fill out for game traps in some places. I know some truly sadistic traps poachers use, but I don't think I'll be posting any here, they kind of make me a bit ill.

Latest posts

Back