Gardening on the dark side

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting to see some amber, I usually chop at 30% amber.

361E842E-A0B0-4469-AA19-AD74658A174F.jpeg
668E891C-BA2D-4CE6-ADA2-25F1C9D1082B.png
79378F80-5BC4-45A2-BC2A-AE82F985639B.jpeg

I'm chapped because every last one of those fancy seeds I bought wound up dying as a seedling... I might as well have taken that $140 and torn it up, yeah? But I started 'em too soon, then couldn't put 'em in the ground because the goldurned subfreezing nights would've killed 'em anyway... also, I think that foil pan somehow helped to kill 'em, perhaps through some sort of electrolysis with trace elements in our community well water. I'll only use plastic next time around. Furthermore, I couldn't put the seeds in the sun at first because of those high winds we had, so the stems grew spindly trying to reach the weak light coming through the window above... all of these factors helped kill off the seedlings. Gonna buy seeds from a different supplier, I'm thinking feminized 'White Widow' seeds and feminized 'AK-47' seeds, the AK seeds come free with any order. I don't like the thought of wasting that $140 on seeds that failed, but once the new crop grows to maturity, there'll be enough bud to make up for the loss. I'm not starting any seeds (of any sort) until I know for sure that the goldurned freezing nights are done for this time of year. Mid-April is looking like the time to start planting... :confused:

I'm chapped because every last one of those fancy seeds I bought wound up dying as a seedling... I might as well have taken that $140 and torn it up, yeah? But I started 'em too soon, then couldn't put 'em in the ground because the goldurned subfreezing nights would've killed 'em anyway... also, I think that foil pan somehow helped to kill 'em, perhaps through some sort of electrolysis with trace elements in our community well water. I'll only use plastic next time around. Furthermore, I couldn't put the seeds in the sun at first because of those high winds we had, so the stems grew spindly trying to reach the weak light coming through the window above... all of these factors helped kill off the seedlings. Gonna buy seeds from a different supplier, I'm thinking feminized 'White Widow' seeds and feminized 'AK-47' seeds, the AK seeds come free with any order. I don't like the thought of wasting that $140 on seeds that failed, but once the new crop grows to maturity, there'll be enough bud to make up for the loss. I'm not starting any seeds (of any sort) until I know for sure that the goldurned freezing nights are done for this time of year. Mid-April is looking like the time to start planting... :confused:
I have a couple of White Widow seeds I was thinking about for my next round. I’m not starting anything until I harvest the remaining plants out of the grow room. It’s looking like I might get a pound and an half dry weed out of them total. Not the harvest I was looking for but that’s still a pile of weed.

Well, rather than stew over it, I'm just gonna chalk it up as an expensive lesson in seed-starting, and move on from there... bottom line is that I started 'em too early, used the wrong container, and couldn't put 'em out in those 50-m.p.h. winds which probably would've killed 'em anyway. I'm not happy about the lost $140, but meh, I've wasted more cash than that on other ventures in my time. Best to just put it behind me and order new seeds, now that the weather is FINALLY easing up a bit. I won't even THINK about planting ANYTHING till tax time, that'll be easy enough to remember, lol. I was gonna start some produce seeds (melons, peppers, corn, etc.), but there was ice in the birdbaths the other morning, so I'm gonna wait until I KNOW for sure that the freezing nights are over and done. At least the fruit trees are all healthy and happy, those can withstand the cold better than any seedlings... I'm also thinking of buying a single grow light just for starting seedlings in the home, that might give 'em a better shot at survival. 🤔

Looks like I’ll finish up tomorrow
107884-E9528341-F254-4BCE-BE94-8BBAE5D21314.jpeg
When you aren't busy, I would love to know more about the 'snippers' the Mrs is using in the above photo.
They aren't scissors, pruners or wire-cutters, so they are :dunno:.
Close-up photo would be great! :thumbs:

Back