Gardening on the dark side

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I started all the seeds, using wet plain white paper towels inside taped-up "clamshells" (coated paper plates taped together to hold and protect the seeds as they germinate), and I placed everything in the kitchen dishwasher that I never use anyway, that'll be a warm dark place for the germination. I'll check the seeds & wet the towels morning and night, and once the majority have popped, I'll transplant them into a large rectangular foil pan filled with soil. For each separate strain, and for the feminized seeds as well, I used a separate starter kit (or "clamshell") and I taped the empty vial with label to the underside of the "lid" so I don't lose track of which seeds are which. When I transplant the seeds into the soil-filled foil pan, I'll place each strain in a row and tape the vial to that section of the foil pan, so I still know which are which... sound confusing? Meh, lemme take a shot of the "clamshells" and show y'all what I mean. 😬

IMG_8000.JPG

IMG_8001.JPG

The "clamshells" come in two sizes, I used the smaller ones for the smaller groups of seeds. I seem to have miscounted too, I actually have more seeds than previously listed, lol. When I pulled these out to take the pics, I noticed the coated paper plates were already a bit soggy beneath the towels, and I don't want any of that dye or coating cr@p on my seeds, so I wiped the plates dry, added a layer of plastic wrap beneath the towels, and replaced everything into the dishwasher. That foil pan is the one I'll use when I transplant the sprouted seeds, it seems to be a convenient size and I should be able to put all the seedlings into it if I space 'em out correctly. Just trying to keep this simple, and I can toss the paper plates & towels once the seeds have sprouted. Maybe I'll line that foil pan with plastic wrap too, just in case it has some funky coating, lol. I like my weed to be 100% organic, no added chemical cr@p, 10-4? 😒

Okay, I started all the seeds, using wet plain white paper towels inside taped-up "clamshells" (coated paper plates taped together to hold and protect the seeds as they germinate), and I placed everything in the kitchen dishwasher that I never use anyway, that'll be a warm dark place for the germination. I'll check the seeds & wet the towels morning and night, and once the majority have popped, I'll transplant them into a large rectangular foil pan filled with soil. For each separate strain, and for the feminized seeds as well, I used a separate starter kit (or "clamshell") and I taped the empty vial with label to the underside of the "lid" so I don't lose track of which seeds are which. When I transplant the seeds into the soil-filled foil pan, I'll place each strain in a row and tape the vial to that section of the foil pan, so I still know which are which... sound confusing? Meh, lemme take a shot of the "clamshells" and show y'all what I mean. 😬

View attachment 105220
View attachment 105221

The "clamshells" come in two sizes, I used the smaller ones for the smaller groups of seeds. I seem to have miscounted too, I actually have more seeds than previously listed, lol. When I pulled these out to take the pics, I noticed the coated paper plates were already a bit soggy beneath the towels, and I don't want any of that dye or coating cr@p on my seeds, so I wiped the plates dry, added a layer of plastic wrap beneath the towels, and replaced everything into the dishwasher. That foil pan is the one I'll use when I transplant the sprouted seeds, it seems to be a convenient size and I should be able to put all the seedlings into it if I space 'em out correctly. Just trying to keep this simple, and I can toss the paper plates & towels once the seeds have sprouted. Maybe I'll line that foil pan with plastic wrap too, just in case it has some funky coating, lol. I like my weed to be 100% organic, no added chemical cr@p, 10-4? 😒
I can’t wait to watch them grow!

Too late to send seeds, as they are already germinating, but maybe I can send some bud later, lol... I know my friends in Idaho will appreciate that Purple African Magic grown in the high desert sunshine of the Southwest. Should be a good crop, lol... I gotta start those melon seeds soon, and start some hot pepper seeds as well, those hot pepper plants do well here. New Mexico is famous for its chili peppers... Hatch & the Deming area offer some real beauties, with excellent flavor and texture. Here in Alamo, conditions are favorable too, just gotta water the plants and keep 'em growing... soil amendment is also necessary if you want good growth. 😬

I guess the big question that hasn't been asked is: how much does a 1-oz bag of really good MJ sell for? Since most people raising it, are doing so for cash income.
Back in my youth 'a lid' (one oz), four-fingers tall in a baggie, went for 20 bux.
Have the times changed? :dunno:

I guess the big question that hasn't been asked is: how much does a 1-oz bag of really good MJ sell for? Since most people raising it, are doing so for cash income.
Back in my youth 'a lid' (one oz), four-fingers tall in a baggie, went for 20 bux.
Have the times changed? :dunno:
I understand it’s anywhere from $100 to $300 an ounce here but we just give it away.

I understand it’s anywhere from $100 to $300 an ounce here but we just give it away.
Now waita minute! You do all of that work, don't smoke the stuff, and just give it AWAY? gaah
You must have a long list of "best friends" by now.:huggs:
I never liked the stuff, but I bet my arthritic joints would:thumbs:.
And if DW caught me burning a doobie, she would divorce me within a week.:(

I saw a sign here in Oregon $50 an ounce. No idea on quality but I am guessing it's pretty good. I see $3 grams all the time also. 3x28=84

Funny story I outed myself in a college math class. The instructor was figuring out a problem on the board and said how many grams in an ounce. I answered 28 way too quick. Also fyi you can calibrate your scale with a dollar or any other US bill. They all weigh a gram.

Now waita minute! You do all of that work, don't smoke the stuff, and just give it AWAY? gaah
You must have a long list of "best friends" by now.:huggs:
I never liked the stuff, but I bet my arthritic joints would:thumbs:.
And if DW caught me burning a doobie, she would divorce me within a week.:(
I grow it for my wife, she enjoys it. With what we grow we have more than enough to pass around. We have egg customers that I know that buy eggs for the freebies that come with those purchases. 🤣

Here, let me out myself, @Cascadian
How much weight was a nickel bag? A dime bag? There was also the never mind. What am I talking about?!!
I think it'd be scary to try a doobie these days as they say it is so much more potent now.
I was having a lot of hip pain a few months back and my wife talked me into taking a gummy. About the time I threw it in my mouth she said to take half of it. I thought I never took half of anything in my life. Shortly after that I was in bed curled up in a ball wishing I had listened!

I was having a lot of hip pain a few months back and my wife talked me into taking a gummy. About the time I threw it in my mouth she said to take half of it. I thought I never took half of anything in my life. Shortly after that I was in bed curled up in a ball wishing I had listened!
But did your hip feel better?

We went to a concert quite a few years ago. My wife ate a whole brownie. Apparently she missed the only eat half part. It pretty much ruined the last half of the concert for us. I believe the whole you can't OD on THC but it ain't fun when you puke and want off a ride that's not stopping. 😒

Last edited:
I don't smoke a whole lot of weed, but I used to eat a thumb-sized nugget of heller chronic before riding my dirt bike in the White Mountains of Arizona... chewed it like a cow, then washed it down with beer and went for a ride, lol. Some of that weed was strong enough to make me gag at first, but once it was digesting in my stomach, it made for a nice solid & steady buzz while riding. Took a little while to really kick in, but by then I'd be tearing along Rim Road 300 at high speed, laughing my fool head off as I enjoyed the scenery. Those were some great rides, except for the one where I banged up my left knee in a hellacious wipeout... might have been a little out of control on that ride, lol. Meh, ya keep the good memories and discard the rest, just like playing poker, 10-4? And that's the way it is when you're an old school party animal and rogue dinosaur... and yes, I have the scars to prove it, lol. :oops:

Here's the foil pan I rigged for the current crop of seedlings, I kept things simple and taped the bullet vials in place along the upper edge of the pan, with the bullet end indicating which way rows of specific seeds were planted. That way I don't lose track of the feminized seeds or the strongest strains... it ain't rocket science. ;)

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8036.JPG

IMG_8037.JPG

In a few days, I should have rows of seedlings in the pan, and I'll let 'em get large enough before I transplant 'em into the ground. I'm thinking a couple of weeks, maybe? Maybe longer, I don't want the seedlings to be easy prey for bugs and other varmints, and bug season is just around the corner... I've noticed more insects with the advent of warmer weather. 😒

P.S. When I'm done using the foil pan to get the weed plants started, I'll remove the vials, blast the pan with a hose nozzle, let it sit in the sun for a couple hours, then make a big ol' pan of chicken & rice with it, lol... cuz y'all know I'm a cheap b@stard and I'll get my money's worth outta that pan, lol. Any specks of dirt or mulch remaining in the pan when I cook the chicken & rice will be favorably regarded as "extra fiber!" 🤣

Why are the leaf tips burnt like that, is it the grow light or is it some additive like fertilizer? Just curious... I started my seedlings and they are steadily growing, so I'm looking forward to putting 'em in the ground in a couple weeks or so, whenever they look ready and able to withstand wind, insects, etc. 😒

I don't smoke a whole lot of weed, but I used to eat a thumb-sized nugget of heller chronic before riding my dirt bike in the White Mountains of Arizona... chewed it like a cow, then washed it down with beer and went for a ride, lol. Some of that weed was strong enough to make me gag at first, but once it was digesting in my stomach, it made for a nice solid & steady buzz while riding. Took a little while to really kick in, but by then I'd be tearing along Rim Road 300 at high speed, laughing my fool head off as I enjoyed the scenery. Those were some great rides, except for the one where I banged up my left knee in a hellacious wipeout... might have been a little out of control on that ride, lol. Meh, ya keep the good memories and discard the rest, just like playing poker, 10-4? And that's the way it is when you're an old school party animal and rogue dinosaur... and yes, I have the scars to prove it, lol. :oops:

Here's the foil pan I rigged for the current crop of seedlings, I kept things simple and taped the bullet vials in place along the upper edge of the pan, with the bullet end indicating which way rows of specific seeds were planted. That way I don't lose track of the feminized seeds or the strongest strains... it ain't rocket science. ;)

View attachment 105366
View attachment 105367
View attachment 105368

In a few days, I should have rows of seedlings in the pan, and I'll let 'em get large enough before I transplant 'em into the ground. I'm thinking a couple of weeks, maybe? Maybe longer, I don't want the seedlings to be easy prey for bugs and other varmints, and bug season is just around the corner... I've noticed more insects with the advent of warmer weather. 😒

P.S. When I'm done using the foil pan to get the weed plants started, I'll remove the vials, blast the pan with a hose nozzle, let it sit in the sun for a couple hours, then make a big ol' pan of chicken & rice with it, lol... cuz y'all know I'm a cheap b@stard and I'll get my money's worth outta that pan, lol. Any specks of dirt or mulch remaining in the pan when I cook the chicken & rice will be favorably regarded as "extra fiber!" 🤣
Do you sprout your seeds first or right in the dirt with them?

Why are the leaf tips burnt like that, is it the grow light or is it some additive like fertilizer? Just curious... I started my seedlings and they are steadily growing, so I'm looking forward to putting 'em in the ground in a couple weeks or so, whenever they look ready and able to withstand wind, insects, etc. 😒
Some of my plants seem to do that right at the end. I’m not really sure.

Do you sprout your seeds first or right in the dirt with them?

I sprouted 'em and they're in that foil pan in the 'War Room' (where the cats can't mess 'em up by digging in the dirt, lol). I'm gonna wait until they're hardy enough to withstand wind gusts, insects, etc., before I put 'em in the ground. As you may recall, I'm going the natural outdoor route in growing these plants, as I was impressed with how well the previous round of plants did last year... nothing wrong with this high desert sunshine when it comes to growing weed, lol. :cool:

Latest posts

Back