Getting cold for the rabbits

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We're sitting at 15 below now. When the sun comes up it drop some more. And its supposed to continue to drop. Expect wind chill effect tom50 below. This is where is gets dangerous out. Our rabbits are out of the wind and have nesting boxes in them.
But that's kinda my problem. The kits are 6 weeks old and demand their space. Which leaves my breeding does exposed. Not good. Kits crowd the box . Mama would never get any rest.
I'm going to have to try to protect my does. And put the 30 kits on the 4 does I have in the now empty grow out pen. I can cover the sides up to block the wind on the ground out pen. As I haven't got it moving under cover yet. Because I just got done butchering the 20 friers that were in there yesterday. Except that I still have 2 grey colored kits that are 12 weeks old. My beautiful wife wants to keep one if we have a doe to replace the doe that had issues this year. Basically just replacing one doe with a new doe from our best doe. Who has great traits. And since the grey babies came from her , we will keep one of the greys if it's a doe.
I haven't got to sexing them yet. They get along together great so I suspect they are both does. So they can go in the pen that the doe I need to cull is in. This doe will also attack your hand if your not careful n we have grandkids.
Animal husbandry in cold climate is a challenge. All this because we started with 3 does n 1 buck. Our daughter adopted a stray so now 4 does. 1 buck . But looks like we will meet our goals of 125 friers.
But we should be ok. We're prepared enough to plan. Hopefully. I can say I don't remember ever loosing a rabbit after birthing issues. Kits including. Probably a few but far between. And this week is going to be a challenge. But I believe we're ready.

Would some straw help keep them warm? In the mountains the rabbits burrow to stay warm.

We're sitting at 15 below now. When the sun comes up it drop some more. And its supposed to continue to drop. Expect wind chill effect tom50 below. This is where is gets dangerous out. Our rabbits are out of the wind and have nesting boxes in them.
But that's kinda my problem. The kits are 6 weeks old and demand their space. Which leaves my breeding does exposed. Not good. Kits crowd the box . Mama would never get any rest.
I'm going to have to try to protect my does. And put the 30 kits on the 4 does I have in the now empty grow out pen. I can cover the sides up to block the wind on the ground out pen. As I haven't got it moving under cover yet. Because I just got done butchering the 20 friers that were in there yesterday. Except that I still have 2 grey colored kits that are 12 weeks old. My beautiful wife wants to keep one if we have a doe to replace the doe that had issues this year. Basically just replacing one doe with a new doe from our best doe. Who has great traits. And since the grey babies came from her , we will keep one of the greys if it's a doe.
I haven't got to sexing them yet. They get along together great so I suspect they are both does. So they can go in the pen that the doe I need to cull is in. This doe will also attack your hand if your not careful n we have grandkids.
Animal husbandry in cold climate is a challenge. All this because we started with 3 does n 1 buck. Our daughter adopted a stray so now 4 does. 1 buck . But looks like we will meet our goals of 125 friers.
But we should be ok. We're prepared enough to plan. Hopefully. I can say I don't remember ever loosing a rabbit after birthing issues. Kits including. Probably a few but far between. And this week is going to be a challenge. But I believe we're ready.
Heat lamps might help, also if you put bricks in the oven on low (or set them on a wood stove.) Then before you go to bed, put a brick in each hutch with them. The does can get as close to it or as far from it as need be and as it cools off, can sit on it since it won't be frozen - for a while at least. Just a temporary help, not a fix.

Our rabbits are in our milkhouse and in large cages. I think tonight will be in the low 20's, so haven't worried yet. Our thrift store sells "pet blankets", or not perfect bed quilts for a buck, so I get a bunch. Wrap the dog kennels in them, wrap the rabbit cages with a quilt, and put straw in them when it gets colder. Just had the electricity checked and fixed in the milkhouse, so can use a heater in there if necessary. Bricks or water bottles are a great idea. Cats go in the basement, they have a small opening to get in and it doesn't freeze down there. Chickens have a coop with straw floor. The turkeys were a challenge. There is no coop, just a giant run, so we wrapped all but one side with heavy tarping. There is a three sided hut in there, too, with straw.
I can't imagine it getting as cold as you get. Do you have a garage they can go in?

I just looked at the long range weather forecast and it looks like you have another 4-5 days of this cold front to deal with. You are getting the worse of it compared to me as I show no real wind where I’m at. Hopefully the wind doesn‘t become too big of an issue for you. Good luck and I wish I had something useful to offer.

Thanks all. We're doing OK. I put some heated water bowls I have out so they all have fresh water and stuffed hay in the boxes as I do every day.
We will stay the course. I just got done butchering 18 of friers n they have a lot more fur than in summer.
These rabbits have to be able to develop so they can withstand our wether. I can say this. Beyond the birthing process we didn't loose any kits. Out of 125. This last batch was good. Of our 4 does, 1 has 7 kits, 2 have 8 kits, 1 has 10 kits. So they are producing good n taking good care of the kits.
The 15 below for a week isn't too bad. It's when it gets into the minus 40s n 50s for a week or so. That weather is kinda tough. I can still get my chores done in my longhandles in this balmy minus 15 stuff

I guess my rabbits are spoiled. Their hutches are in the house right now. They were inside for the hottest part of the summer and now in the winter/cold months. No kits right now but if we had any during the cold months I would keep them in the garage (there is a window in there for light). I do have some clean old rags in the nesting boxes with them so they can burrow in the boxes for warmth.

Once we make the big move I told K I want a rabbit barn or a travel trailer I can convert to the rabbit barn. The idea is to keep the weather off the buns and protect them from predators.

I do find this thread interesting and worth adding to as time goes on for the future.

Back