goals for 2019

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for this thread, Timmie. I have thought of starting one, but just never got to it.

My goals: get my rain barrels set up, 40 day challenge (maybe we can do a thread about that), replacing a window that desperately needs to be replaced, entry way and winding stair case wall repair continued (ladder work, lots of scraping, repair of plaster, paint).

I want a better garden this year. Less weeds and more produce. Hopefully my knees don't go bad this year.
Get rid of stuff we do not need. I'm already making progress on that. Took 1 trailer load to the dump and have a second load ready to go.
Get a new metal roof on my small barn.
One thing I would like to do but most likely won't get to is replace the fence between me and my neighbor.
He makes repairs when his cows or goats get out but they seem to like my side of the fence. If you have ever seen a fence built by Mexicans you know what I'm talking about.
Anything will work as a fence post and a pallet makes a passable fence repair.
It's pretty bad so I'm going to have a talk with him and see if he is willing to help.
First I need a translator. His English is about as poor as my Spanish.
I am also going to keep losing weight. Down 55 pounds and still losing.

Lose another 25 pounds and learn to maintain. 68 pounds down now. Make toning up more of a priority.
Plant more of a garden than last year. Would like to either breed pygmy goats or get rid of them, but they belong to DH as pets.
Clean out shed -- 30X40 ft.
Serve more at Church or hospice.

Plan a better garden, can, dehydrate, freeze everything I grow this year.
Lose the last 24.5 pounds to my high end of Army weight.
Primary care doctor would like 50 more pounds and learn to maintain it better.
Walk more in all kinds of weather.
Exercise more especially in stomach area and legs.
Lost another shoe size as of last week.
Down to size 4.5 or 5 depending how they are made.
Buy some clothes that actually fit.
Eat healthier, leaner(not giving up meat).
That's already been discussed several times.
Donate a little more time to Charity projects: Veterans, children or read to the elderly.
Get my donation basket filled back up with hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, car seat blankets, lap robes.
Go back to school to learn something I want too.
Not something I need for the next promotion points board.
Take time for me: travel, cruise, do something on my bucket list.

Goals for this year and thank you @timmie for the post :) .

- Increase our food storage more.
- Pay as much as we can off our home mortgage.
- Organise the 4 sheds we have in the property and find homes and shelves to put everything on.
- Finish levelling out the back shed so we can fit the equipment in there without dog holes and divots.
- Build raised garden beds and start all our other ones in around April/ May when it is cooling down and buy shadecloth/frost cloth to cover them with.
- Preserve as much garden produce as we can.
- Work on my sewing and listing on eBay to bring in more money/ and or any other paid jobs I can get.
- Spend more us time together as a husband and wife using our splurge money as a treat to go out more often.
- Enjoy life to the fullest.

After reading this thread (and the newest Organic Prepper article), we have decided to make a much bigger effort to pay down our few bills, increase savings, and pay extra on our mortgage. We have a couple of smaller bills to pay off first so we have money to accomplish this since we are on a small income, but that is added to my goals!

Make two car payments a month to get my new to me Fiat paid off sooner.
Put more into savings account at bank and saving account at home.(stash).
All I owe monthly is the following:
car payment
car, renters insurance
internet(could go to library and use theirs for free that would save me $40 a month).
electric
rent
food
Pretty much cut everything out.
Live below my means pretty much now.

Are you going to eat the guinea pigs, Tank Girls?

Yes I am.

I live a state that prohibits domestic rabbit ownership.
There are massive fines and even jail time if you're caught with them even though there are wild rabbits hopping
around every field in the state.
Go figure.

So, guinea pigs are the next best thing and they are a handy single meal sized animal like quail but will breed
and raise young without needing a incubator.
I'm toying with the idea of meat pigeons because their eggs don't need artificial incubating.
There's a quite the squab industry here in this state so finding King meat pigeons wouldn't be
too difficult.

Some people in my immediate area don't have a vehicle for one reason or another..so they'll pay someone to take them somewhere. Especially if it's a out of town trip.

Edit..i forgot to mention.i do take 2 people here n there,here in town without charging them anything. On account it's right here in town.and the car don't use much gas for that.plus i do lil bit of shopping of my own time to time.

Last edited:
jimLE. that is cheaper than owning a car or paying a taxi. When I get to the age where I don't drive I'd gladly chip in a few bucks for gas and other driving expenses.

I want a better garden this year. Less weeds and more produce. Hopefully my knees don't go bad this year.
Get rid of stuff we do not need. I'm already making progress on that. Took 1 trailer load to the dump and have a second load ready to go.
Get a new metal roof on my small barn.
One thing I would like to do but most likely won't get to is replace the fence between me and my neighbor.
He makes repairs when his cows or goats get out but they seem to like my side of the fence. If you have ever seen a fence built by Mexicans you know what I'm talking about.
Anything will work as a fence post and a pallet makes a passable fence repair.
It's pretty bad so I'm going to have a talk with him and see if he is willing to help.
First I need a translator. His English is about as poor as my Spanish.
I am also going to keep losing weight. Down 55 pounds and still losing.

Congrats on the weight loss.:thumbs:

Lose another 25 pounds and learn to maintain. 68 pounds down now. Make toning up more of a priority.
Plant more of a garden than last year. Would like to either breed pygmy goats or get rid of them, but they belong to DH as pets.
Clean out shed -- 30X40 ft.
Serve more at Church or hospice.

Congrats on weight loss to you too Snappy:thumbs:.

We have both cut cigs in half and hoping to get garden ready to plant and easy to care for.

Plan a better garden, can, dehydrate, freeze everything I grow this year.
Lose the last 24.5 pounds to my high end of Army weight.
Primary care doctor would like 50 more pounds and learn to maintain it better.
Walk more in all kinds of weather.
Exercise more especially in stomach area and legs.
Lost another shoe size as of last week.
Down to size 4.5 or 5 depending how they are made.
Buy some clothes that actually fit.
Eat healthier, leaner(not giving up meat).
That's already been discussed several times.
Donate a little more time to Charity projects: Veterans, children or read to the elderly.
Get my donation basket filled back up with hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, car seat blankets, lap robes.
Go back to school to learn something I want too.
Not something I need for the next promotion points board.
Take time for me: travel, cruise, do something on my bucket list.

Good Mobook, nobody dies saying they wish they had of worked more and enjoyed less. That what I keep telling myself while I work,lol.

Goals for this year and thank you @timmie for the post :) .

- Increase our food storage more.
- Pay as much as we can off our home mortgage.
- Organise the 4 sheds we have in the property and find homes and shelves to put everything on.
- Finish levelling out the back shed so we can fit the equipment in there without dog holes and divots.
- Build raised garden beds and start all our other ones in around April/ May when it is cooling down and buy shadecloth/frost cloth to cover them with.
- Preserve as much garden produce as we can.
- Work on my sewing and listing on eBay to bring in more money/ and or any other paid jobs I can get.
- Spend more us time together as a husband and wife using our splurge money as a treat to go out more often.
- Enjoy life to the fullest.

Good plans Sewing. like I said ,life is not just about work and survival, need to fun in there too.

You sound like a "driver", JimLE. My family doesn't drive in Kansas (except tractors) and they hire drivers if they need to go to the big town 15 miles away for shopping. They'll use horse and buggy if it's the little town mainstreet. My cousin pays $40 round trip for a driver into the big town and back. Usually though, they go to Aldis, Walmart, and Chickfilet for lunch. I drive for free when I'm there because I'm shopping and hanging out with them, too.

Latest posts

Back