Goat Barn Done!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
1118171433.jpg
1118171433a.jpg
1123171053.jpg
1206171226.jpg
1206171336.jpg
1206171336b.jpg
1206171336c.jpg
Well i finally finished the wifes goat barn! Well finished enough that they are spending their first night in it. Total bill for barn, ZERO! Sometimes i feel like the king of repurposed materials! I love being a scavenger!

Man, you had me worried, the first picture just showed the little pink topped castle and I figure they were going to be some very crowded and gender challenged goats. Glad the follow up pictures cleared up the misconception. Like the staircase for the goats.

Man, you had me worried, the first picture just showed the little pink topped castle and I figure they were going to be some very crowded and gender challenged goats. Glad the follow up pictures cleared up the misconception. Like the staircase for the goats.
Haha ya. Ended up being 14x14. The milking / entry area is 7x7 giving the rest to the goats. I was going to do a ramp where the stairs are but stairs worked better for space reasons. The goats seem to love the platforms. Im pretty darn happy with it and the wife thinks im husband of the year so double win!

Very nice! Planning to get some goats again soon, thinking to build a small barn on skids so it can be moved between pastures.

--Dwight

I try to build verything possible on skids, not only can they be moved, but that saves on m6 property tax. Being on skids means they are not permanent hence not taxable. I know some farms with 75 year old buildings on skids that have never moved an inch but could be moved

@Redbeard brilliant job and I also love recycling everything too :) .

Why buy it when you can scavenge it or find it in nature for free.
It really amazes me what people throw out...
Very nice! Planning to get some goats again soon, thinking to build a small barn on skids so it can be moved between pastures.

--Dwight
What breed are you getting? We have 4 mini alpine and one nigerian doe and a mini alpine buck. Working on acquiring another.
Conversely, this is me building a shed/barn. ;D

DSCN2587.JPG
Your hired! What's your labor rate? Do you work for beef jerky?
I try to build verything possible on skids, not only can they be moved, but that saves on m6 property tax. Being on skids means they are not permanent hence not taxable. I know some farms with 75 year old buildings on skids that have never moved an inch but could be moved
Same here on the taxes. This spring the barn will be put on skids. It will never move but the town can bite me!

Your hired! What's your labor rate? Do you work for beef jerky?

I am like someone with a Higher Ed degree in Feminist Studies, I will work for food but don't expect me to accomplish anything. :D

Redbeard: Thinking of getting a couple Nigerian Dwarf... sort of depends on what we find.
They are good goats! Love their milk! The one we have is Lilly and she is very friendly she is the one in the thread lazy goat. She is prego from our mini alpine buck. To bad you weren't closer she is for sale and comes from very good lines. You said you had goats before? Nigerians then too?

Love the barn built out of repurposed materials! When we added the expansion to our goat barn we used old rollup garage doors for the sides and rooftop. Even have the garage door windows on both ends for natural light. I like the idea of an added staircase and platform. I know mine would have loved that.
Ya i know they can jump but i figured it would be nice for them to have the option. They seem to love to run in the barn and right up the stairs. I have to put some roof shingles on them to give them a little more gription. Heard it helps with hoof wear as well. Garage doors, that's a good idea!

Latest posts

Back