Google assistant

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What happens if I disable it? It comes on by itself and blocks my phone screen. There is a lawsuit against Google over it on privacy grounds. It seems it listens and send info to Google for ad targeting. I just wonder what I will lose. I don't use it.

I wouldn't are what I lost. I've tried to shut off SIRI with little luck. Any ideas on how to turn it off would be appreciated.

I wouldn't are what I lost. I've tried to shut off SIRI with little luck. Any ideas on how to turn it off would be appreciated.
Don't know about Siri. There is an app for Google Assistant. You can't remove it but you can disable it. It is part of the phone.

Thanks, I knew how but it warns that other functions may not work. On another note, Facebook reads your private messages. My sister is an RN. So I was asking her in a PM about a new med I was getting. Next thing I know, ads are popping up for that med on Facebook.

Thanks, I knew how but it warns that other functions may not work. On another note, Facebook reads your private messages. My sister is an RN. So I was asking her in a PM about a new med I was getting. Next thing I know, ads are popping up for that med on Facebook.
Stop using Facebook to fix that problem.

Reading your content and selling adds is how they make money.

Ben

FB has always said your PMs are not private. That is how they also capture phone numbers and addresses. My solution was to select a relatively unusual fake name. A friend used to call me by it. Bless him. Did it to avoid former clients finding me (none have so far in 14 years) and being spammed with so many friend requests.

I turned mine off and I didn't have any issues.

Ben
Don't play with the machines. :mad:
They are very good at what they do, and are getting smarter by the day.
People think 'Alexa' is only listening after they say: "Hey Alexa" and they vastly underestimate what it is actually doing.

Don't play with the machines. :mad:
They are very good at what they do, and are getting smarter by the day.
People think 'Alexa' is only listening after they say: "Hey Alexa" and they vastly underestimate what it is actually doing.
My SIL gave 5he Princess an Alexa. I told The Princess to get that thing out of the house.

Re play with machines

I will kill everything I don't want. Worst that can happen is restarting etc.

Ben

A Smart TV, or any device connected to "the internet of things" will never be in our house.
Recently we needed a new clothes washer.
Wife spent a lot of time finding an uncomputerized one. Lowes, Home Depot, don't have them on the floor, they are only available online.

My SIL gave 5he Princess an Alexa. I told The Princess to get that thing out of the house.

Re play with machines

I will kill everything I don't want. Worst that can happen is restarting etc.

Ben
Exacty!
Nip it,
Nip it in the bud!:waiting:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/amazon-sidewalk.13046/post-364673
Or you will find yourself being a 'slave':

Imagine these junkies being told by their 'car' where they "cannot go", and where they must go instead.:(
Yes, the addiction is all around you... and it is growing.:mad:

Last edited:
THINK about something, and it will pop up! Seriously. I was talking to someone else about this. How absolutely bizarre is that? And how does that work?

My brother was bragging that his wife gave him an Alexa. I told him that if my wife brought one home I'd beat her with it.

Just got a new tankless water heater. They said it came with wifi built in. I told them to remove it. They said that they could turn it off. I told them that if they wanted a sale they would remove it completely. It saved me $300.

I have no smart TV's in my home, and no wifi, everything is hard wired.

Don't know about Siri. There is an app for Google Assistant. You can't remove it but you can disable it. It is part of the phone.
It may not like to stay disabled. On my old phone I'd shut it off, but whenever I restarted, there it was again. I got so sick of it popping up and asking what I wanted every time I tried to use the phone...

Devices don't necessarily need a WiFi connection to report home. Many include cellular connectivity. Device classes that are prone to this include alarm systems, electronic book readers, and medical devices. Not to mention smart phones and smart watches.

My fridge has it. It only uses the app to troubleshoot
There was some home electronic recently - was it a microwave oven perhaps? - that used it's network connection to automatically upgrade its firmware. Turned itself into a brick after a bad firmware update. I don't know what the company did for all the customers who suddenly and unexpectedly had their appliance stop working (and it could not be remotely fixed). This was just in the news sometime over the last few months.

If you have no WiFi, how was the WiFi enabled water heater going to connect?
For what?!
We got a new WH last year.
They are simple... 2 thermostats, 2 heating elements. That's all!
There is absolutely no reason for it to be connected to robots. gaah
But I will confess, back when I was a bachelor, I had mine on a timer and it only needed to run 30 minutes a day, but I always had control over it.
I ain't gotta be a tightwad no more.:)
We got 50 gallons of hot water available 24/7, and nobody can limit that, but me.:thumbs:
Edit: Oh, and it is not the 'government-mandated' 125°:mad:, but real 140° hot water because I turned the screws.:D

Last edited:
Wifi or it may have been cellular, whatever, they wanted to be able to control my hot water from their office. Whatever it is their sales pitch sounded a lot like my sales pitch on a high school date.

Let me see if I can express myself more clearly. It is the IOT. They put a smart meter on my house, I couldn't stop that. It will talk to every smart appliance in my home. I neither know nor care how they communicate, the specifics are immaterial, the fact that they can and do is enough. The only way to keep them from communicating is to not have smart appliances.

A few years back the wife came home with a new Roomba. It had a label saying that it complied with FCC regulation XXX. I looked it up and the regulation had to do with cell phones. It went back in the box and was returned to the store. Roomba doesn't need to know where I live or how my furniture is arranged. I keep rebuilding the old Roomba and it does fine. I don't need the water heater installer or manufacturer selling how many showers I take or how long. Why would anyone pay to know when I wash my hands or run my dishwasher? I don't want them turning down the water temperature or shutting it down if my shower is longer than approved.

Some decades ago the cable company offered a service where they would watch your living areas, any room with a TV, and call the police if there was a home invasion or fire. The outcry was huge and the offer was retracted. People were outraged. That was before smart TV's.

Let me see if I can express myself more clearly. It is the IOT. They put a smart meter on my house, I couldn't stop that. It will talk to every smart appliance in my home. I neither know nor care how they communicate, the specifics are immaterial, the fact that they can and do is enough. The only way to keep them from communicating is to not have smart appliances.

A few years back the wife came home with a new Roomba. It had a label saying that it complied with FCC regulation XXX. I looked it up and the regulation had to do with cell phones. It went back in the box and was returned to the store. Roomba doesn't need to know where I live or how my furniture is arranged. I keep rebuilding the old Roomba and it does fine. I don't need the water heater installer or manufacturer selling how many showers I take or how long. Why would anyone pay to know when I wash my hands or run my dishwasher? I don't want them turning down the water temperature or shutting it down if my shower is longer than approved.

Some decades ago the cable company offered a service where they would watch your living areas, any room with a TV, and call the police if there was a home invasion or fire. The outcry was huge and the offer was retracted. People were outraged. That was before smart TV's.
Re: Roomba

Oh no!

You didn't report the FCC spec but all electronics and electrical devices have to be designed not to emit RF and be able tolerate RF going back to the 80s.

Remember when TV would go nuts when the neighbors vacuumed?

Not any mire.

Ben

Re: Roomba

Oh no!

You didn't report the FCC spec but all electronics and electrical devices have to be designed not to emit RF and be able tolerate RF going back to the 80s.

Remember when TV would go nuts when the neighbors vacuumed?

Not any mire.

Ben
This was specifically about cell phones. They didn't have cell phones in 1980. I didn't report the regulation number because I didn't write it down, I just returned the Roomba.

Quote: I looked it up and the regulation had to do with cell phones.

A few years back the wife came home with a new Roomba. It had a label saying that it complied with FCC regulation XXX. I looked it up and the regulation had to do with cell phones. It went back in the box and was returned to the store. Roomba doesn't need to know where I live or how my furniture is arranged.
This probably has to do with radio frequencies used to control devices made by this manufacturer (iRobot?) AFAIK, the Rhomba vacuums are "controlled" by bumping into things. They hit something, they turn a different direction and cruise along until they hit something else. Like a game of pinball. But other devices that the manufacturer makes are probably controlled differently. I think they were considering making lawn mowers at one time (maybe they make them now). That is a device that might benefit from tighter control than just smashing into something with blades-a-spinning and then turning around. If the radio frequencies used to control something like this example lawn mower are anywhere near the frequencies used by cellphones, they will have to be certified not to interfere (and probably "not be interfered with by") cellphones operating on adjacent frequencies. I'll be willing to bet that something like this was the certification you were looking at on your vacuum (it may use common parts with the lawn mower), not that it uses the cellular network to phone home. But who knows without reading the exact FCC regulation specification in play.

In our house, a Rhoomba would be like a 1 inch pinball trying to operate in a 3 inch playing field. It might break free of its confines after a year or so of trying, then head off down the basement stairs or something.

Latest posts

Back