Google assistant

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This probably has to do with radio frequencies used to control devices made by this manufacturer (iRobot?) AFAIK, the Rhomba vacuums are "controlled" by bumping into things. They hit something, they turn a different direction and cruise along until they hit something else. Like a game of pinball. But other devices that the manufacturer makes are probably controlled differently. I think they were considering making lawn mowers at one time (maybe they make them now). That is a device that might benefit from tighter control than just smashing into something with blades-a-spinning and then turning around. If the radio frequencies used to control something like this example lawn mower are anywhere near the frequencies used by cellphones, they will have to be certified not to interfere (and probably "not be interfered with by") cellphones operating on adjacent frequencies. I'll be willing to bet that something like this was the certification you were looking at on your vacuum (it may use common parts with the lawn mower), not that it uses the cellular network to phone home. But who knows without reading the exact FCC regulation specification in play.

In our house, a Rhoomba would be like a 1 inch pinball trying to operate in a 3 inch playing field. It might break free of its confines after a year or so of trying, then head off down the basement stairs or something.
The Princess is on her second roomba and gave the one to her sister. They are a bit more intelligent than bump and turn. They don't run downstairs. Thet do a good job and don't miss any spots. They have sensor to judge how much dirt is being sucked and will repeat high traffic areas.

So your sister knocks a pot of dirt of the grow station shelf... Use the "spot" mode and it cleans up that area.

2 issues

If it gets too far from the base station it can forget how to get back to the recharge station. Unlike a dog you cant just call for it. Found it under a sink once.

Don't leave the end of a roll of kite string where the roomba can get at. It will keep eating the string until it jams the drive wheels.

Both roombas and lawnbas...

Can be controlled from an smart phone app.

The Princess WILL be acquiring a lawnba for the remodel place. Set it up to mow twice a week.

Ben

In that Lawmba video, I can't tell any difference in the area before it mowed it, and after it mowed it.
Agreed!

Mowing multiple rimes a week does that. I worked as a caddy at a golf course. Greens and aprons mowed every day.

Ben

This probably has to do with radio frequencies used to control devices made by this manufacturer (iRobot?) AFAIK, the Rhomba vacuums are "controlled" by bumping into things. They hit something, they turn a different direction and cruise along until they hit something else. Like a game of pinball. But other devices that the manufacturer makes are probably controlled differently. I think they were considering making lawn mowers at one time (maybe they make them now). That is a device that might benefit from tighter control than just smashing into something with blades-a-spinning and then turning around. If the radio frequencies used to control something like this example lawn mower are anywhere near the frequencies used by cellphones, they will have to be certified not to interfere (and probably "not be interfered with by") cellphones operating on adjacent frequencies. I'll be willing to bet that something like this was the certification you were looking at on your vacuum (it may use common parts with the lawn mower), not that it uses the cellular network to phone home. But who knows without reading the exact FCC regulation specification in play.

In our house, a Rhoomba would be like a 1 inch pinball trying to operate in a 3 inch playing field. It might break free of its confines after a year or so of trying, then head off down the basement stairs or something.
The new Roomba does phone home with GPS info about your home size and layout. Likely how often it is used and cleaned. Don't underestimate how much data they collect. With a phone in it it may well be listening.

Latest posts

Back