Got beef?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ummm. I haven't bought beef in quite a while but WOW! Is anyone else seeing these prices?

Screenshot_20211223-225019.png
Screenshot_20211223-225052.png

I can go and buy better ribeyes than those at my local grocery's meat counter for $9.99/lb right now. I don't know what kind of joke that ad is supposed to be...

That's not an add. That's from their website. I looked at Costcos site and they had similar prices.

Prices are up, but haven't seen anything near those
Prices skyrocketed down here for a while and when none of it sold, they had to grind it all into hamburger-meat and sanity returned.
Imagine that! :rolleyes:
People would just say: "Do you know how many pounds of jumbo shrimp you can buy wit dat?"
Where's the beef?
This week's special:
extra_large.jpg

Last edited:
Prices for meat here are very similar. It's outrageous, I don't know about Sam's or Costco, I'm not a member of either one, but regular stores are charging about that much & sometimes more. Burger 80/20 or better, starts around $5lb. I do alot of the meat shopping in the markdown section that is either 30% or 50% off the regular price. Sometimes even then it's still more than I'm willing to pay.

Wow, that just doesn't seem real. I know prices haven gone up, but sheesh! Just yesterday I was feeling blessed by the full freezer of meat, and realized that I hadn't even looked at the meat aisle in a bit.

I do alot of the meat shopping in the markdown section that is either 30% or 50% off the regular price. Sometimes even then it's still more than I'm willing to pay.
That's how I've done it, too. I used to keep a document on my phone listing which cuts were due to expire at which stores, so I could target shop the discounts. Doesn't work so well since 'Rona came along, but sometimes I still try it with meats like bison.

I'm really thankful we buy direct from the farmer. Which reminds me, I need to schedule our order for this coming year...

Wednesday at Albertson's, a big chain grocery store in this area, had a special on bone in ribeye roast for $5 a pound if you used the one per customer offer in their savings app. CSe grabbed the biggest one and got a $240 roast for less than $60 but at the register the guy couldn't make the app price thing work so he gave her the price anyways. So when she walked out with the bargain roast she loaded up the groceries and drove across town to the other Albertsons and grabbed the biggest one they had and used the app at the register to get the $5 per pound price again. The second store got the app thing to scan but because the first store couldn't make it work she scored big time, twice. When she got home she cut off the ribs and set them in the freezer so we can BBQ some beef ribs in a week or two, then she cut the ribeyes into 1" thick steaks. Several were dinner Wednesday night and the rest are in the freezer.

We have been asking questions of the small butcher department in the small town grocery store north of us about bulk pricing on meat. Last month they had a special on ground beef that was a great price. We bought 20 pounds, had to wait 30 minutes for them to grind it up for us, and the bulk price was another 30 cents a pound cheaper than the sale price. They get their beef from one of the local ranches and it is delicious but their normal prices are a bit higher that the big stores in the city. In a month or two we are going to make a big purchase from them and fill our third freezer. Paying regular prices lately is out of the question. GF is getting good at hitting all the grocery stores and Costco for meat price specials on her once a week grocery visits.

I used to get riled at the store prices, now I don't even look, on the hoof price has gone way down, I talked to a local store meat manager, he said they are just getting enough to not take a loss, so maybe tyson foods is the profiteer. As LL said $ 4.00 a # is about right, cause processing beef is not nice work, so when you consider 50% butcher loss, they aren't charging that much. This kind of stuff will force people to plan a bit more and source locally

I will be looking into having a calf raised for us this year, and if I am lucky enough to get caught up, situated, and organized around her by the end of summer I will consider quartering it and cutting it up myself in the garage. Just make an all day event out of it. Between my GF and I we do really good at cutting out our favorite cuts from large chunks of meat and all the rest will become ground beef or stew meat.

Was at the local Hy-Vee grocery store last night. 80% ground beef was $3.99 if you bought a 10lb prepackaged tube of it. Most of the steaks were running $5.99 to 9.99/lb. Prime rib was $13.99 lb and they had roasts for $5.99/lb. It's high, but not as bad as what some of you are seeing. I bought a package of thin cut round steaks to make steak and cheese sandwiches, it was $6.10 for 1.06 lbs.

That gives new meaning to the term "sticker shock". Last week we went to one of our favorite restaurants. It had been closed for quite a while due to Covid. The prices had nearly doubled. I was shocked and very disappointed. I just couldn't bring myself to pay what I thought were exorbitant prices.

If an animal eats my food then it becomes my food.

Elk taste good, but they are a stored feed nightmare, what they eat is fine, but they like to pee on what they don't, not the best neighbors

I didn’t think high meat prices were for real, all over. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a grocery store, and wow! It’s for real! Looked like anything beyond chicken and hamburg starts at 24,99/. If you can get anything reasonable, you’re lucky.
I’m in no position for hunting, but might consider letting hunters use the land in exchange for a share on the meat. Venison is very good. Season is done now, but next year will be different.

Latest posts

Back