Got beef?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, hoping it doesn't happen but when/if the time comes my entire calendar will be "the season". After dark that is, and only what is necessary.
I suppose 2022 I will put in for a deer tag and an elk tag to fill the freezer, unless I arrange a calf to be raised for me by a local rancher.

Local store ad. My wife loves these steaks and we always have some in the freezer for her.
1.111.JPG

This past summer a local rancher gave us two grown bulls . One broke it's neck in an automatic head catcher and the other had a broken leg . We hung them from a oak limb and butchered them . Before the butchering was completed another rancher called and offered us a third animal that got trampled to death . We ended up giving away most of the meat to various local families for free . Just thought I would mention this as some of you might want to leave word with any nearby rancher that you are willing to take any animals that has meet a similar fate . Granted the meat from a bull is tough but a pressure cooker will solve that problem .

Elk taste good, but they are a stored feed nightmare, what they eat is fine, but they like to pee on what they don't, not the best neighbors

Ever go camping and set up your tent in an elk 'wallow'??? It's where the bulls pee on themselves then roll or 'wallow' in it during the mating rut. We did....we were late heading out and didn't get to where we were going until after dark, found a spot and pitched our tent. Thankfully it was an old one, but the smell still lingered. Come morning we moved far away from it.

This past summer a local rancher gave us two grown bulls . One broke it's neck in an automatic head catcher and the other had a broken leg . We hung them from a oak limb and butchered them . Before the butchering was completed another rancher called and offered us a third animal that got trampled to death . We ended up giving away most of the meat to various local families for free . Just thought I would mention this as some of you might want to leave word with any nearby rancher that you are willing to take any animals that has meet a similar fate . Granted the meat from a bull is tough but a pressure cooker will solve that problem .
Neighbors have called us a couple times about free beef. But our freezers are almost always full. :(

Ya know........elk are pretty good tasting and comparable to beef.....Just sayin

I know, we have one in the freezer. The main problem with that is they disappear opening day and reappear the day after the season ends. They go to the wildlife preserve and hide out.

I know, we have one in the freezer. The main problem with that is they disappear opening day and reappear the day after the season ends. They go to the wildlife preserve and hide out.

It is odd how they seem to know what day it is. Hubby would complain of it often. He lived for elk season and we'd call him an Elkaholic.

Story??? Years ago I was in the grocery store, and all of a sudden heard an elk bugle. As I'm looking around in surprise to find out where that sound was coming from, a man walks by me struggling to get his phone out of his pocket......he had that as his ringtone. Guess what my hubs got for his birthday that year. LOL

Yes. One we have for the neighbor. 2 are ours, Dexter's and will be feeding 5 people.

Do you raise the Dexters yourself or buy from someone else???

Ever since I learned of this breed......being multi-purpose and smaller sized (less feed, less space and less damage to pasture)....I've been curious about them in a real life situation.
The old standby, is that it takes 1 acre for 1 cow per year, but with Dexters that could be less acreage or more cows per acre....yes???

Then I'd be curious to know just how much meat you get back on that and how many meals can be made from one animal. Sorry, kinda thinking out loud here, but would welcome an answer if you have one.........or maybe I'll start a thread on that topic

Getting meat processed has become an interesting thing. If you have someone you've used and trust, you are fortunate. Many get old and are no longer butchering. Often, they sell their shops to someone who has been an employee. Not all of these guys are ethical. People end up with fewer steaks and less burger.

Cousin raises beef and has for decades. He raises several hundred. Of course, he always gets one butchered when the freezers at home get low. He told me that one year, his butcher, the one he has been using since his uncle who was a butcher died, added some kind of fat to his burger and the whole batch was not good tasting.

Getting meat processed has become an interesting thing. If you have someone you've used and trust, you are fortunate. Many get old and are no longer butchering. Often, they sell their shops to someone who has been an employee. Not all of these guys are ethical. People end up with fewer steaks and less burger.

Cousin raises beef and has for decades. He raises several hundred. Of course, he always gets one butchered when the freezers at home get low. He told me that one year, his butcher, the one he has been using since his uncle who was a butcher died, added some kind of fat to his burger and the whole batch was not good tasting.

Last year there was a long waiting list for butcher dates....and that could become a real problem in the future too and may force some people to do their own.

My cousin uses a friend of his, unlicensed. There's been stories of licensed places giving you someone else's meat. Or them keeping the grass fed and giving you inferior meat.

I've heard of this happening and may be why those mobile butchers have become so popular. Where they do the butchering in their truck right on your property......atleast I think that's how they do it

My cousin uses a friend of his, unlicensed. There's been stories of licensed places giving you someone else's meat. Or them keeping the grass fed and giving you inferior meat.
My cousin's uncle used to be a well respected butcher, but he has been deceased for a few decades. It is really hard to find reputable people in most fields now.

We've never taken wild game in - have always processed it ourselves. Beef is a different story. We let the butcher do our beef and hogs - they are better equipped for it. We have very little waste when we clean up a critter. Then the bones go into the cauldron for broth, then when pulled out, they go to the chickens. (We no longer have chickens, but that was our process so about every morsel of the critter was put to use.)

We are now having to butcher our own cows for the freezer. We’re currently trying to work out the details. Should be interesting.

The hard part is having a good spot/time to hang them for aging.
I like 21 days. Use a reciprocating saw to cut them in half and remove the spine. It's faster then a hand saw.

I have a meat band saw I picked up at an auction, a heavy duty grinder and a good how to book. I would like to have a walk in cold room for hanging.

The hard part is having a good spot/time to hang them for aging.
I like 21 days. Use a reciprocating saw to cut them in half and remove the spine. It's faster then a hand saw.

I have a meat band saw I picked up at an auction, a heavy duty grinder and a good how to book. I would like to have a walk in cold room for hanging.

21 days is what we have always done at the lockers but now… We will be unable to hang it most likely at all. We’ve been waiting to see if we get cold enough temps coming but so far no. So a friend is thinking hanging 1/4’s in fridge or freezers with a temp unit (used for beer making) to make them the proper temps for a time. I don’t know. Not sure how your going to hang 1/4 in a fridge.
Definitely a reciprocating saw although we do have a meat hand saw worst case.
a good book I’ve yet to find. I have plans to put a walk in fridge when we move but not doing it here. Hope to not be here much longer.

Latest posts

Back