What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to watch the ratting videos of dogs.

No wonder dogs react to squirrel like They do.

Ben

Heidi will lay under the maple for an hour just waiting for one to come down the tree. She did that the other day. One came down and never had a chance to go back up. She grabbed it, shook it and tried to bring it to grandpa

Heidi will lay under the maple for an hour just waiting for one to come down the tree. She did that the other day. One came down and never had a chance to go back up. She grabbed it, shook it and tried to bring it to grandpa
In the end most are bread to kill rats.

Ben

It's been a busy week. Work has been good and easy. I told the boss yesterday that, get this, I did not want a raise. He was confused. I mentioned his interest in putting me on the book hours pay scale for jobs completed, meaning if the book claimed something required 4 hours and I finished in 3 he would pay me 4 hours for that job. I told him I know I am (old) slow and I have tried to speed up the past few months since he mentioned that and I know I am not getting faster. And, somedays my back and hips keep me moving slow. I am happy with my current pay and don't need the stress of trying to work faster just for more money. I know, sounds goofy, but I am paying my bills, have money left over, and I am happy working for him. I guess I am not normal. =-)

After work today I chipped some branches and brush for a neighbor. It took about 90 minutes and I charge $20 an hour. He paid me $50. I was not happy he overpaid but it turned out to be a good job for me and he has plenty of beneificial wood chips for his gardens.

Tomorrow my friend pulls the transmission out of my truck and Saturday morning I pull it apart and rebuild it with the high tech fancy good parts. If all goes well it get reinstalled in the truck and I am good for another 20 years or so.

I am tired, time for dinner, then a shower, and hopefully soon to bed.
Sweet dreams.

Lots of people for dinner tonight, and one sis and her son go back to California early morning. Oklahoma nephew and wife left for home. Little granddaughter goes to Topeka for their class trip for the day tomorrow, is super excited. My sis volunteered to get her up at 5, and to the school by 5:30 am. Very sweet. I can sleep an extra hour before infusion time. Husband's pic line is coming out, and that is not good, so we may be at the infusion clinic tomorrow getting another. Two daughters go back to Tuscon late morning tomorrow. Took a tour with some of them of the amish cemetary, great grandpa is there, and a number of other relatives.

Lots of people for dinner tonight, and one sis and her son go back to California early morning. Oklahoma nephew and wife left for home. Little granddaughter goes to Topeka for their class trip for the day tomorrow, is super excited. My sis volunteered to get her up at 5, and to the school by 5:30 am. Very sweet. I can sleep an extra hour before infusion time. Husband's pic line is coming out, and that is not good, so we may be at the infusion clinic tomorrow getting another. Two daughters go back to Tuscon late morning tomorrow. Took a tour with some of them of the amish cemetary, great grandpa is there, and a number of other relatives.
Wow!

Big event for you. When my father passed there where aunts uncles and cousins everywhere. They only go once.

Ben

I hope you are taking your vitamins AH. You’ve had a lot on your shoulders. It’s usually 7-10 days after the “stressful event” that your system wears down. If you do what you can to take care of yourself now, it will help. Glad you get an extra hour of sleep - you need it :huggs:

the market went ok , sold all my bread but not all my sweet stuff surprisingly. There goes the diet again...
Did not sell much meat but didn't really expect to , many students don't have kitchens to cook in I would imagine
A lot of them didn't know there was a weekly market a few miles down the road, wow, I thought we had enough signs everywhere for it

today I am making pasta sauce for lasagne tomorrow and bake husband and son a cake for their birthdays
need to finish the photo album also

Oh something bad happened yesterday morning, one of the one year old goats got his horn stuck on a piece of fencing, it was pretty bad. It's amazing how goats find ways to hurt themselves. I cleaned him up and put iodine on it and gave him a shot of slightly expired LA200 , need to call vet to see if I can get a prescription for a new bottle since now you can't buy it anymore. Put the little guy in the barn too, he was not happy. The fencing is attached to the gate to keep the animals in. Husband bent all the pokey edges over but a few are just sticking out a little .

Garden is being neglected , fruit trees need to be sprayed, not enough time

Hope your goat boy is ok Sonya. I'm home today!! Doing laundry, changing sheets (looks like a German Shepherd exploded all over the bed), brushing animals hoping they shed more quickly!🙄 Making chicken pasta salad and potato salad. Got a new client to replace my little lady who moved to the nursing home! I used to clean for her mom a few years ago. When her mom died she got the house but had a nice lake house at the time. Now she lives in mom's house and wants me to clean. This house is really awesome. If I were to design my own floor plan, this would be it! So I'm excited to get my house back, lol!

the market went ok , sold all my bread but not all my sweet stuff surprisingly. There goes the diet again...
Did not sell much meat but didn't really expect to , many students don't have kitchens to cook in I would imagine
A lot of them didn't know there was a weekly market a few miles down the road, wow, I thought we had enough signs everywhere for it

today I am making pasta sauce for lasagne tomorrow and bake husband and son a cake for their birthdays
need to finish the photo album also

Oh something bad happened yesterday morning, one of the one year old goats got his horn stuck on a piece of fencing, it was pretty bad. It's amazing how goats find ways to hurt themselves. I cleaned him up and put iodine on it and gave him a shot of slightly expired LA200 , need to call vet to see if I can get a prescription for a new bottle since now you can't buy it anymore. Put the little guy in the barn too, he was not happy. The fencing is attached to the gate to keep the animals in. Husband bent all the pokey edges over but a few are just sticking out a little .

Garden is being neglected , fruit trees need to be sprayed, not enough time
It’s the end of the month. Next week’s market will be better (after the first).

Husband's pic line is coming out, and that is not good, so we may be at the infusion clinic tomorrow getting another.
We are waiting for appt. for DH to get a picc line or mid line. He has something new besides the Psuedomonas aeruginosa. It is Kluyvera intermedia. Doc said Tobramycin but that isn't on the list of drugs to treat the new one. We will definitely be asking for an infectious disease doc!

Today, I will walk first.
Clean at Church.
Make burgers and prep brats -slice and add string cheese and wrap with bacon- to grill tomorrow.
I have help coming to move lick tubs filled with dirt. Planting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Have you searched for their grave memorial on Find a Grave? That was how I found my gg grandfather's grave in Nebraska. Actually, that is how I found him. I didn't really know who he was until then.
Yes we did.
That's how we found the cemetery.
I called a few funeral homes and I actually contacted a guy that had information about grave locations.
He was very helpful and was able to lead us to where we should look.
We were in the correct section but we couldn't find a marker.
I guess in this case close is as good as we can get.

Gonna Un-Cover the HVAC Unit and store the cover away in the Back Shed...!!! Nothing else much on Me Plate except getting a Coping Saw, Wood Chisel or maybee just use Me Drill and drill small holes and then use some sanding wheels to Finish up Me Wood Project in that Backyard...!! Hope You All Have A "Blessed Day" in what-ever it is You 🐝 doing...! ☃️ 👻

Yes we did.
That's how we found the cemetery.
I called a few funeral homes and I actually contacted a guy that had information about grave locations.
He was very helpful and was able to lead us to where we should look.
We were in the correct section but we couldn't find a marker.
I guess in this case close is as good as we can get.
As someone who has done lots of cemetery visits, I know that many graves do not have headstones. Also, the person responsible for cemetery records, called sexton, was often a volunteer position, and many cemetery records were not well kept.

In a cemetery where I have 22 relatives buried, around 10% of the graves were not marked. During tough times, people would sometimes drive to the cemetery, dig a hole and bury their deceased infant or young child. This particular cemetery has been well maintained, always mowed for holidays especially. It is about 20 miles from the nearest town, so people have to drive a ways to get to it. They maintain a board of directors. One of my cousins was more recently the board president. They found someone who would engrave bricks which were then placed with a square of concrete surrounding it so that it would not be easy to remove and steal the brick markers. I believe they also did some kind of work to determine where all the unmarked graves were. I'm attaching one of the brick grave markers they placed.

I know I have some relatives whose graves have never been found, and also died in a time in the U.S. before records were kept.

Attachments

• grave marker.JPG
    grave marker.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
We visited an old Army Fort and cemetery outside Oklahoma City and almost half of the graves were children.
Very depressing.
There was a separate area for WW2 POWs.
German and Italian.
It was originally planned to hold Japanese POWs but they captured so many solders in Africa they changed the plan.
That must have been a shock to be captured in Africa and then sent to the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

Tired this morning. Not a chance I get to rest though. Trying to get in touch with a small engine guy I heard about. I have 2 lawn mowers and 2 generators that need work. Might as well load them on a trailer and let this guy do all the work.

Of course by noon this plan will have gone out the window and something new will need attention. :)

It’s the end of the month. Next week’s market will be better (after the first).
no this was not a regular market, it was a one time thing at the university, our regular markets we always sell a lot, did last week
they are almost done with the semester , we might do another one in the fall sometime but I don't think we will go, not worth it and I can't do 2 in one week, we are better off going to our regular one

Hope your goat boy is ok Sonya. I'm home today!! Doing laundry, changing sheets (looks like a German Shepherd exploded all over the bed), brushing animals hoping they shed more quickly!🙄 Making chicken pasta salad and potato salad. Got a new client to replace my little lady who moved to the nursing home! I used to clean for her mom a few years ago. When her mom died she got the house but had a nice lake house at the time. Now she lives in mom's house and wants me to clean. This house is really awesome. If I were to design my own floor plan, this would be it! So I'm excited to get my house back, lol!
goat seems ok, sprayed come bluecoat on his horn and put him back out with the others
oh and yes German Shepherds shed like crazy ( that is why mine is not allowed on the furniture....)

@Amish Heart Glad you are winding down and may finally get some peace of mind and release for yourself in this trying time,,, Prayers for you and your family to find solace and peace of mind.

I never have a plan it wastes too much time, My mind gets changed on the fly and the next task never gets done.

The only things that get done are those that are on the mind right now.

Need to change a taillight on the trailer, grease the bearings get the SBS ready to go.

fix the float on the 4whlr, load and get rid of the junk I sat out of the white C20 and clean up this yard.

Get the pasture mowed before it gets head high, change the shaft clutch disk on the 7 foot Bushhog.
Fuel the 4000 Ford tractor.

Get the S 10 (completely disassembled lowrider) off of the 20 foot trailer, put tires on trailer and paint the floor on it again.

Finish the SS 440 and the light build 383, reseal the B&M 727, finish front brakes and pull some more chrome off the 67.

Gonna bare metal the top hood and upper fenders on it with a DA this month.

Bug Man coming to spray the shop for spiders and ants Monday so I have to lay stuff out and move it back from the walls.

Anyone got a clone machine yet.

Now for the next hour,, HEHEHEHEHEH.

Last edited:
We are hosting a birthday party for a friend's 55th birthday today. We have 8 people coming for dinner, which will include rib eye steaks, baked potatoes, grilled veggies (zucchini, squash, red onion, artichoke hearts, green onion, etc), cheesy garlic bread, and of course, a birthday cake. It is drizzling currently, so unless it warms up considerably, looks like this will be an indoor party.

Hey Snappy....husband's tried the tobrimycin in the nebulizer for the pseudomonas twice. After five days, his lungs start seizing. It's supposed to work, but he doesn't tolerate it well. We're waiting for the new sputum results, meanwhile his picc line came entirely out, so we had to go into the hospital this afternoon and they just put in an IV line, since he possibly finishes this med on Tuesday. So it's a little bit different, but not difficult. Came back to find the Oregon sis and her husband going thru mom's doll collection and boxing them and arguing with Florida sis. So I changed that mood quickly...said ok...you pick one, she picks one, I pick one, etc etc....That Oregon sis is such a money grubber, it's made me sick to watch. Doubt that she'll ever be down here again, and that's ok. They'll stay for supper, then get dropped off at their Airbnb, and they fly out early tomorrow. Florida sis and oldest daughter still here till late morning tomorrow. I enjoy those two.

It's been kind of a lazy worthless day. I sent some messages and made some calls, did dishes, and cleaned a little. I'm at the gym now. Daughter will come over at 7:30 after she gets done with her shift at McDonald's. Tomorrow I'm going to make her go out and do some kind of activity with me. Not sure what yet, but she's not sitting around playing on her phone Tomorrow. 😉

I won't lie, yesterday & today I was depressed. I'm not normally depressed but I get that way every 5 to 7 years. I don't normally know why, but this time I do. Oh well, it's nothing that I can change. So I told my wife that todays a beer day & that's my solution. I drink beer all day & tomorrow I feel better about life in general. And no, I don't have hangovers, nor do I drink that much. I drink to stay mellow all day. I'm feeling less depressed now & have shifted to drinking tea. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Latest posts

Back