What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preparing for a trip next Friday. I stress before trips.

We are going to Baltimore to be there when our son in law receives his doctorate from Johns Hopkins University.

I may be absent from posting for a few days in there. Wish me well .... travel is difficult these days.
Hope you have a smooth and easy trip!! And a safe one! Congratulations to your son in law!

Just got back from a trip to Costco. It is a bit of a drive as the closest one is in Rockwall. Last time we went we only got enough food to tide us over for a few weeks. We also drove through Rowlett and it has been built up even more than I saw on google maps/earth. Sad seeing the small hole in the wall development with just a 7-11 and a pizza place I grew up in turned into a large city with country clubs and small yachts on the lake! I mentioned it to my dad and he said "it must be true that you can never really go home."

Where we are now is even more built up than Rowlett was but it is still a fifth of the size of the town we were in in California.

The girls are crawdad hunting in the yard while K mows. Juju wants to eat the ones they catch but after the storm we had I'd rather not. The wash out front was foaming from construction chemicals and debris not to mention the trash that got pushed into it from the flood waters. They are also putting woollybears in a jar and trying to sneak them in the house. Cute as they are I will not have caterpillars inside!

I got the new weather radio set up so Roo will calm down about tornados. She is freaked because we had a confirmed tornado warning yesterday in the evening. It touched down briefly just south of us before skipping over our town and moving north to Canton. We had a weather radio I got back when we lived in the cabin in the mountains and had a few wildfire scares but it is 10+ years old and Roo doesn't trust it. I made sure to get batteries for it and put it in the utility room for the next warning. It has the normal FM/AM bands as well so that might help keep her from freaking.

We are sitting in our RV watching the weather.
Supposed to get thunderstorms with wind, hail, and lots of rain (3+ inches) starting around 3AM.
If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow we are going to continue our trip.
Next stop will be somewhere North of Ft. Smith, Arkansas.
The one thing we didn't plan on for our trip was weather.
I guess that comes from living in an area where weather is a non factor.
I'm hoping we don't have to spend the early morning in the storm shelter at the RV park.

Preparing for a trip next Friday. I stress before trips.

We are going to Baltimore to be there when our son in law receives his doctorate from Johns Hopkins University.

I may be absent from posting for a few days in there. Wish me well .... travel is difficult these days.
I stress before trips too, mine is coming up in about 2 weeks....
at least you don't have to go far ( I am flying to Germany)

Hope you have a safe trip and congrats to your sil. Mine is currently on a Navy ship probably getting attacked by drones in the middle east ( hope not)

Went to work for a couple of hours this morning, came home and washed the Hellcat and headed to a local car show. Had lunch at my favorite pub came home and mowed a couple of acres. I really had a nice day!

IMG_3242.jpeg
IMG_3243.jpeg
IMG_3245.jpeg
IMG_3246.jpeg
IMG_3248.jpeg
IMG_3249.jpeg

Nothing planned today but solving the electrical problem in the shop. Turns out there was no problem. Dad got confused trying to use a new battery charger I bought and was convinced the power to the shop was off.

But I still got a few things done. A neighbor called, had some sugarcane. I got a few pieces planted in the garden. I ran the weedeater a bit, even cleaned out the path to the chicken pen for dad.

No plans tonight but tv.

I got up and went to work to check on everything this morning. Been there a couple of hours before I noticed I was wearing 2 different boots. I guess that’s what happens when you leave before daylight in the morning. 🤣

View attachment 128883
I've done this a few times. This is what happens when it is still somewhat dark out when I get dressed.

Last edited:
I've done this a few times. This is what happens when it is still somewhat dark out.
That was a first for me! Jake and I wear the Sam size boot and we always leave them on the back porch and it was dark when I left for work this morning. I had one of his boots and one of mine on when I got to the job. 🤣🤣🤣

I stress before trips too, mine is coming up in about 2 weeks....
at least you don't have to go far ( I am flying to Germany)

Hope you have a safe trip and congrats to your sil. Mine is currently on a Navy ship probably getting attacked by drones in the middle east ( hope not)
Yikes! I remember those days. I lived in Sardinia, Italy for 2 years and went back and forth a couple of times with my 5 year old son. Long flights!

My husband was in the Navy stationed in Sardinia and I taught in a Dept of Defense school in La Maddalena (island between Sardinia and Corsica). That's where we met. We will never get back there but our son took his family to Sardinia this last summer so he could see where he lived when he was 5 to 7 years old. He had a pretty good memory of it.

Prayers for your husband's safety and also for yours as you fly out. Are you staying or just visiting? I loved Germany. We went to Bavaria a couple of times. Beautiful!

Yikes! I remember those days. I lived in Sardinia, Italy for 2 years and went back and forth a couple of times with my 5 year old son. Long flights!

My husband was in the Navy stationed in Sardinia and I taught in a Dept of Defense school in La Maddalena (island between Sardinia and Corsica). That's where we met. We will never get back there but our son took his family to Sardinia this last summer so he could see where he lived when he was 5 to 7 years old. He had a pretty good memory of it.

Prayers for your husband's safety and also for yours as you fly out. Are you staying or just visiting? I loved Germany. We went to Bavaria a couple of times. Beautiful!
thanks and I am only visiting for a few weeks, visiting my dad and brother's family plus cousins and uncle
my dad is very old and not healthy so it might be the last time I see him
oh and my husband will stay here to take care of the animals , son is coming along this time

thanks and I am only visiting for a few weeks, visiting my dad and brother's family plus cousins and uncle
my dad is very old and not healthy so it might be the last time I see him
oh and my husband will stay here to take care of the animals , son is coming along this time
Hah! Well I certainly wrote some wrong information. I thought maybe your husband was military.

Enjoy your trip and I hope it's smooth. It will be good to see your family again.

My health took a huge hit last year and this will be the first trip I have taken since then. Things were so bad I thought I would never be able to travel again. My kids came here for Christmas - a rarity. But I have a kind, gentle, and very patient husband who will be with me and help me do what I need to do. I know it won't be easy, but I want to take this trip.

Hah! Well I certainly wrote some wrong information. I thought maybe your husband was military.

Enjoy your trip and I hope it's smooth. It will be good to see your family again.

My health took a huge hit last year and this will be the first trip I have taken since then. Things were so bad I thought I would never be able to travel again. My kids came here for Christmas - a rarity. But I have a kind, gentle, and very patient husband who will be with me and help me do what I need to do. I know it won't be easy, but I want to take this trip.
no lol, my daughter's husband is on the Navy ship. She is too but since she just had a baby last year she is stationed in Norfolk and doesn't get deployed

sorry your health problems make it difficult for you to go on trips, I can relate to that also, I have mental health problems that make trips a problem for me ( panic attacks/anxiety especially in a plane) , already got my pills from the doctor to get on that plane

no lol, my daughter's husband is on the Navy ship. She is too but since she just had a baby last year she is stationed in Norfolk and doesn't get deployed

sorry your health problems make it difficult for you to go on trips, I can relate to that also, I have mental health problems that make trips a problem for me ( panic attacks/anxiety especially in a plane) , already got my pills from the doctor to get on that plane
I am usually fairly calm on a plane, but walking in the airport is difficult. I used to get very panicky on planes ... especially when I had to fly across the country alone. I took calming pills. Now that I am old, I won't take the calming pills because they cause me more panic than just sucking it up.

Listen to this.... Our nephew stayed with us while his parents were doing Desert Storm. He was with us 6 months. They were stationed in Germany and when they were back there, we put that little 6 year old child on a plane from Seattle to somewhere in Germany. Scares me to even think about doing that. Yikes! He did fine. He's a dad of 5 kids now and survived that flight just fine.

Wife was sick this morning, so I was late getting started. Finally finished one of the spots I've been trying to clear. Glad to get that finished. Mowed about half my stuff, part of which I hadn't even gotten to this year. That was slow going.
Hope to finish up tomorrow. Gotta work next weekend. so I want to get everything I can done up this weekend

Watching tornadoes south of me.... coming into University of Oklahoma campus. I have family in that area. Hope they are safe.
Two tornadoes about a mile apart. Yowch.

They are coming my direction but they will not last long enough to get to us here. I'll be watching though. Won't bother hubs. He's playing video games with friends and doesn't care about weather.

Wife was sick this morning, so I was late getting started. Finally finished one of the spots I've been trying to clear. Glad to get that finished. Mowed about half my stuff, part of which I hadn't even gotten to this year. That was slow going.
Hope to finish up tomorrow. Gotta work next weekend. so I want to get everything I can done up this weekend
Hope your wife feels better!!♥️

Took my daughter, GF, and GF's dog to a local county park for a nice walk before the rains came in this afternoon. This park has a small lake, probably around 80 acres, and there is a pea gravel trail winding around it that is 3.2 miles long. There is also a nice bridge to a little island about 75 yards off the shore. We walked out too the island and found that there were many geese nesting out there including a pair with eggs in plain sight of the path. Mama and Papa goose were swimming a few yards away and didn't seem to bothered by us checking out their nest.

Ruby the dog saw some other geese on the shore and thought she could catch them. It's a good thing she didn't. I don't quite think she knows that pissed off geese tend to get really anti social.

The rest of the walk was beautiful until the last quarter mile. We were all talking and not paying much attention to Ruby, and she started rolling in the grass. That's normal and we didn't think much of it until she got up. The damn dog rolled in fresh raccoon poop! Of course we couldn't put her back in the car like that. Guess who got to take her in the park restroom and clean her up with foamy hand soap and no gloves? Yuck. She still stunk when we left but I got the poop off her outer coat. She got a full bath in the tub when we got back to GF's house.

After that we went out to eat at a local Mexican joint out in the country along Highway 30. I had Chile Colorado and it was fantastic. GF had fajitas and daughter had the Burrito Loco. Daughter's eyes were a little bigger than her stomach and she couldn't finish it. All in all, it was a nice Saturday. Tomorrow we are all going over to my sister's house for lunch...

Last edited:
Oh boy. I’m whooped. We went over the mountain- always a gorgeous drive - to my favorite nursery. See garden thread. I finally slept through the night last night- woke up exactly as I went to sleep, didn’t move all night long. Stopped and saw some friends- they are moving to AZ. Happy for them but will miss them. We will get to see them once or twice more before they make so I am grateful for that.
Of the 34 books I came home with yesterday, 3 will be gifts, and 1 will be donated. The rest look good so far. There are one or two that might get passed on after reading but am overall pleased.

Busy day with dogs and daughter not feeling well. I took some bone broth to her, and then back with some aspirin for her headache. Two dogs staying with me and a visit to two dogs. Rain, snow, and now rain. Dogs don't want to go out in the rain, but want the door opened so they can check it out. Did a little hydroplaning on the highway today, so I drove slower than I usually do, and some people were not happy about that. Oh well.

Took my daughter, GF, and GF's dog to a local county park for a nice walk before the rains came in this afternoon. This park has a small lake, probably around 80 acres, and there is a pea gravel trail winding around it that is 3.2 miles long. There is also a nice bridge to a little island about 75 yards off the shore. We walked out too the island and found that there were many geese nesting out there including a pair with eggs in plain sight of the path. Mama and Papa goose were swimming a few yards away and didn't seem to bothered by us checking out their nest.

Ruby the dog saw some other geese on the shore and thought she could catch them. It's a good thing she didn't. I don't quite think she knows that pissed off geese tend to get really anti social.

The rest of the walk was beautiful until the last quarter mile. We were all talking and not paying much attention to Ruby, and she started rolling in the grass. That's normal and we didn't think much of it until she got up. The damn dog rolled in fresh raccoon poop! Of course we couldn't put her back in the car like that. Guess who got to take her in the park restroom and clean her up with foamy hand soap and no gloves? Yuck. She still stunk when we left but I got the poop off her outer coat. She got a full bath in the tub when we got back to GF's house.

After that we went out to eat at a local Mexican joint out in the country along Highway 30. I had Chile Colorado and it was fantastic. GF had fajitas and daughter had the Burrito Loco. Daughter's eyes were a little bigger than her stomach and she couldn't finish it. All in all, it was a nice Saturday. Tomorrow we are all going over to my sister's house for lunch...

'Yo Quiero Taco Bell'? 🤣

tacobell.jpeg

Hey y’all, I have been having a big ol’ time.
Storms expected here starting now.
IMG_4148.jpeg

@Peanut I wish I would’ve recorded these guys. What a tight band! Older guys except the lead singer was maybe a little younger than me. I love Texas country music and the crowd at the “stockyards” on a Saturday night was thick. Bars and live bands all up and down the streets. Never seen anything like it. Sorry I didn’t trim the photo.

Planning on doing some more gardening today, I have some more little plants in pots that are not looking too good and need to go into the ground
husband put up the electric fence around the one large garden in the pasture so the sheep don't eat the plants ( goats don't go in that one, they would find a way, 3 strands of electric tape is not enough for them that only works for the sheep)
no storms here, no rain at all, it is very dry for spring and it's starting to worry me. If there is no rain, the grass won't grow
No grass, no hay, no food in the pasture either
Plus we have to water the gardens every day

Now I'm watching the rain flood all of y'all east of Ft. Worth!! I got 3", looks like some around the Dallas area got 5+"!! My county is still under a flash flood warning. Going to clean my building as soon as I can get out of my road. Have a small cleaning job after that! Not a whole lot planned for later! Definitely a nap, not much sleep last night!

Latest posts

Back