What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting with Bear watching thunderstorms! Almost 2:30 am!!
We got a tornado watch at about 1am. I stayed up for a bit after that waiting for the thunderstorms.

Gotta mow the front yard today, clean the chicks pen.
Set up a tent I found at the thrift store for my chicks so they can get some safe outside time. The other outside nursery I have needs repair that I never got to last year after my chicks escaped it and something got them.
So I'm going to put them in a tent during the day n inside at night for a few more weeks.
Dog walk ..
I've got alot to do and not enough time to do it.

Jake and I went down to the shop to fix an oil leak on my old Shovelhead. We had been working on it for a few minutes when I noticed a Pygmy Rattlesnake coiled up maybe 2 feet from where we were laying. Yep, that’s enough for the day…. It had seven buttons.

IMG_3275.jpeg
IMG_3274.jpeg
IMG_3277.png

1714323832345.png
Gotta mow the front yard today, clean the chicks pen.
Set up a tent I found at the thrift store for my chicks so they can get some safe outside time. The other outside nursery I have needs repair that I never got to last year after my chicks escaped it and something got them.
So I'm going to put them in a tent during the day n inside at night for a few more weeks.
Dog walk ..
I've got alot to do and not enough time to do it.
I saw a really simple a inexpensive and effective Chicken tractor on face book market place, I will see if I can find it again ang link to it, basicly the took an IBC tote apart, used the tank as a "House, and split the cage in half , put the halves end to end and covered it with chicken wire I have no idea why the pic pasted in both parts, not like it matters
1714323832345.png

Last edited:
Busy unpacking and dealing with life. Just trying to make everything fit in the new place or get rid of it if we don't need it. The girls have been bugging me to got crawdad hunting since they found out they live in our front yard! Frogs too.

As with every move we are dealing with the change of scenery and nosy neighbors. The ones that live behind us like to make noise in the morning while the ones across the street spy on us when we do yard work! I have taken pictures of them to prove they are watching us!

Here are our neighbors in the back.
View attachment 128871

Here are the ones across the street.
View attachment 128872
Grimm,
I could live with those type of nosy neighbors.

I hope everyone is safe from those tornadoes.

Been busy and not using the computer quite as much. I've been trying to get to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. The nurse said it was important for Mom to eat more regularly so I've been making sure she's awake before noon to make breakfast for her. But we are running low on some of the food since the freezer is not working right and fridge is stuffed. I really need to go through and do some spring cleaning of the fridge and the pantry.

I primed the door in my bathroom. Still need to do a 2nd coat but think I will use foam brushes and rollers instead of a regular brush for next coat.

I worked today. Switched with the Sunday technician. It was a fairly easy day and I get a three day weekend coming up for it.

Ordering a small chest freezer from Lowe’s for delivery Saturday. I have beef coming from my brother and have no desire to overstuff the standing freezers.

Waiting to hear, seems Star whacked Lori in her face with her big nose. She (lori) is at the emergency dentist, and I wait. Star is fine.
Lori is OK, has to wear her mouthguard for a couple days, then we will see.

We are at DEFCON 3

Readiness conditionExercise termDescriptionReadiness
DEFCON 1COCKED PISTOLNuclear war is imminent or has already begunMaximum readiness. Immediate response.
DEFCON 2FAST PACENext step to nuclear warArmed forces ready to deploy and engage in less than six hours
DEFCON 3ROUND HOUSEIncrease in force readiness above that required for normal readinessAir Force ready to mobilize in 15 minutes
DEFCON 4DOUBLE TAKEIncreased intelligence watch and strengthened security measuresAbove normal readiness
DEFCON 5FADE OUTLowest state of readinessNormal readiness

Nothing but rest today aside from a little research. Had a dilemma, whether to attend the bluegrass event at the alabama folk school like last year (4day event) or the 26th annual bluegrass showcase put on by the Alabama bluegrass association, a one day event.

The folk school was a blast!! Most fun I’ve had in years but it put me flat on my back for 2 months. Don’t want to risk that again. I think I can handle the one day event. Since I’m an assoc. member I feel obliged to attend anyway. 5 bands will play the main stage. Of course there will be non-stop backroom picking which I know will be fun.

I’m getting a hotel there for friday night. Make sure I’m rested and can enjoy all the activities on Saturday. Old bluegrass friends from around the state will be there, lots of catching up to do. I hope one in particular is there. A decade ago he and I played at a restaurant in Tuskaloosa every weekend. Heck, we’ve been picking buddies since the early 70’s. I heard his health is bad, hope he will be there.. or hope someone there will have his current phone number. The number I had stopped worked when he got divorced.

I have to make a few calls tomorrow then I can choose a hotel and book a room. Tonight, nothing but tv and a little pickin’. :)

Went with daughter and GF over to my sister's for Sunday lunch. Sister made some good black bean and chicken enchiladas. We stayed a little later than I realized and I had to hustle to get GF home and then get daughter to her dance pictures. It's her last recital before she ages out of the dance program there and she is a little sad. Now I've got laundry going and she's doing homework. I'll leave for work at Mason City around 4:45 am tomorrow. We'll see if the trainmen derail a train for the 3rd weekend in a row up there...

Good day today. Worked in the yard for a good part of the day. Didn’t make it to church. Went to a town about an hour away to have lunch/dinner with folks and 2 of the nieces and future nephew in law. Nice visit. Me tummy is full!
Tomorrow is Monday all over again. I was on the go a lot this weekend and could really use a full day home alone. Maybe next weekend.

ok so I did something today that really did not need to be done right now and it was a huge amount of work...why did I do this? I am very wiped out and my back hurts
I cleared a path by cutting brush , blackberry bushes , poison ivy, wineberry bushes, those florarosa bushes, whatever , then weedeated it then hammered in temporary fence posts and started to attach temporary electric fencing to it to enclose the large area around our house that is not fenced. This is in a steep area full of rocks . I got the top tape attached but need to do at least 2 more rows
I really need to take a photo of this....anyway been wanting to do this since we moved here but it just never gets done and I have to free range the goats and watch them if I want them to clear that area. Then I still have to put the rest of the fencing up, this is just one side , but the worst one. Need to go buy some more posts and some more tape tomorrow
my arms are all scratched up, should have worn a jacket. I did spray Repell on me everywhere to not get attacked by the ticks

this is really not what I had planned today LOL

Got out in the woods doing some photos and GPS readings for our upcoming guidebook. The forest service wont give us a tour permit for some really good areas of interest so we are going to put out a guide so others can go exploring for ancient megaliths.....We have a guide permit for other areas but the bearocracy is playing games.
While out and about we stopped in a tiny town with the only buisness a bar cafe. had a snack of some of the best bread pudding I have ever tasted....
Brought some home since it turns out the cook makes extra and wont let the staff see what she puts in it..
They had a outdoor seating area and were playing "hook and ring" evidently ernest hemingway mentions it.

Lori is OK, has to wear her mouthguard for a couple days, then we will see.

We are at DEFCON 3

Readiness conditionExercise termDescriptionReadiness
DEFCON 1COCKED PISTOLNuclear war is imminent or has already begunMaximum readiness. Immediate response.
DEFCON 2FAST PACENext step to nuclear warArmed forces ready to deploy and engage in less than six hours
DEFCON 3ROUND HOUSEIncrease in force readiness above that required for normal readinessAir Force ready to mobilize in 15 minutes
DEFCON 4DOUBLE TAKEIncreased intelligence watch and strengthened security measuresAbove normal readiness
DEFCON 5FADE OUTLowest state of readinessNormal readiness
I remember one time (I was like 12), my Dad telling me NOT to try to ride the new pony!!🙄 Well, I did, he was an awesome pony, except he reared up and smacked me in the nose with his head!! Dad just said it looks like he has some smooth gaits, and hope you learned your lesson!

Latest posts

Back