What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
going lots of places today and not looking forward to it...I would rather put up fencing..( but need more posts and tape)
bank to order Euros
Verizon store to make sure my phone will work there
TSP to get the posts and tape plus regular shopping
oh and Walgreens to drop off and pick up the last batch of photos, making one more album for my dad
( son loved his)

Was awake part of the night. 🥴 Woke up this morning and got going. Did a load of laundry, made lasagna for our lunch and left the house about an hour early so I could take the flowers l got for my mom and leave them on their porch. I forgot them yesterday when we went and had lunch with them and nieces. I got her early Mother's Day flowers to plant in her yard so she can get them planted. Made it back to town - stopped at PO. Had mail for two other people but none of our own :rolleyes: And a Monday at work begins.

So today we discover that the contractors framer did a piss poor job on the door frame. Things are not square, they didn't leave enough room for the door frame, etc. How hard is it to ensure that both sides of the door opening are square and on the same plane??!!!! WTHeck is wrong with these people? Either they are incompetent or they just don't care ... either way things have to be redone, and that's a waste of my time and their money. Worse still is that THEY didn't catch it, the tile guy did!!! And this is the second time the framing was done so poorly, as to require a fix. Sadly, the framer is the contractors brother. We have been micromanaging them for the past 3 weeks ... and this framer actually told my wife she was in his way!!!! He is very lucky I was not there to witness it, for if I was, he would not step foot on the property again.

There's no expertise or professionalism in the industry. It's all shoddy workmanship and inefficiency.

I'm running into some of that trying to get work done on my new house. I can't seem to get anyone to return an estimate on doing the roof. And it is constant arguments or roadblocks on everything. Yes, I want a woodstove and not a fireplace insert. Yes, I do know what an insert is, and no, I don't want one. Like I had to argue to get them to take my money for the woodstove! Now I'm trying to get tile. Found some I really liked but it was at a wholesale place. Ok, go to a local place to order it and the guy was so rude! Questioning me, what are you going to do with the tile, who is going to install it....then got all patronizing when I said I'm doing it myself and it's for a backsplash. Well, you know, most people don't use that sort of tile for a backsplash...good grief! They still haven't managed to order the tile for me.

I've decided that Casey was an odd name and hard to say, so the new dog is now called Katie. She's a bit of a goofball and the strangest dog when it comes to going for a walk; even after being in the house all night I can take her out in the morning and she just stands around staring at the trees instead of doing her business. A mid-morning walk seems to be the preferred time for accomplishing the necessary, though even then it takes a long time of walking around before she's ready. She is eating and drinking and otherwise seems normal. First vet visit is scheduled for later in May. Thankfully she's not pacing so much anymore and seems to be settling in. I've left her home alone for an hour or two and she hasn't destroyed anything. Though her stuffie is a bit the worse for wear, I'll probably get her a new one this week.

Got about 70 trees planted so far; my hired helpers and I got quite a bit done on Saturday. Some apples, apricot, and cherry; sugar maples and white pines and fast growing popples. Still have about 50 seedlings left to get in the ground.

Storms and rains coming through, glad I got as much grass cut as I did on Friday. Been watching what's happened out on the plains, hope everyone is ok. So sad to see homes and towns destroyed.

Large qualities of coffee and chilli crackers, because I snack a lot when I'm writing. Quarter of the way through my dissertation. I worry there isn't enough coffee...
Todays been spent at the desk,(raining) but yesterday was hot and sunny so weeded, painting gates and fences, lots of little outdoor bits. A good day.

So today we discover that the contractors framer did a piss poor job on the door frame. Things are not square, they didn't leave enough room for the door frame, etc. How hard is it to ensure that both sides of the door opening are square and on the same plane??!!!! WTHeck is wrong with these people? Either they are incompetent or they just don't care ... either way things have to be redone, and that's a waste of my time and their money. Worse still is that THEY didn't catch it, the tile guy did!!! And this is the second time the framing was done so poorly, as to require a fix. Sadly, the framer is the contractors brother. We have been micromanaging them for the past 3 weeks ... and this framer actually told my wife she was in his way!!!! He is very lucky I was not there to witness it, for if I was, he would not step foot on the property again.

There's no expertise or professionalism in the industry. It's all shoddy workmanship and inefficiency.
We deal with this daily. It's both not caring and inept. We get certified welders who have been through 2 years at CC and can't read a tape measure.

Cooked breakfast for Mom and have been chatting with my friend online after watching a newer episode of Midsomer Murders-- season 24.

Friend has a 2nd job on Mondays where he installs breathalyzers on vehicles at a body shop. He said the vehicle he worked on today was a rough job and that he spent more time on his back than his exes. LOL. Later he's going with me to HomeDepot. He wants to look at flooring for the toddler's room and I need to pickup some stuff I ordered.

Today I watched my son in law defend his dissertation for his doctorate at Johns Hopkins University. His parents and my daughter and several other people were present in the room and others of us were on the Zoom call. It lasted 2 hours and was impressive. SiL was cool and collected throughout. My daughter's nervous tell was showing - she jiggles one knee when under stress.

He did well and afterwards those who were there celebrated with champagne and cake. We will be there in Baltimore for his graduation next week, but - he has officially received his doctorate. We're very proud of him.

Husband's doc appt and pharmacy pickup in town took awhile. He'll get another midline put in Wednesday, so for now, I'm infusing into an IV. Talked to Florida Sis for awhile, Hospice called and talked awhile, and my favorite cousin just called and talked awhile. She's in Ohio for the month visiting a daughter. Got the baby chicks in the basement brooders moved to the milkhouse, and set up there. Lots of laundry. Finished cleaning and doing bedding in one of the guestrooms, and have run out of day.

When we made the move we opted to ditch the wooden hutches we had in the rabbitry. They don't collapse or come apart to make moving easy so they were left. I had ordered some nice wire cages a year ago in anticipation of the rabbitry growing and needing more housing for breeders. We decided to go with that style cage for the new setup. Once we got to the new house I ordered some more from the same company now having to pay shipping since we were able to pick them up from the factory when we were in California.

Well, with the new cages and setup the rabbitry is more open feeling and there is better air flow. It also is more lit up since there is no wood roofs to block light from the lower cages. All the rabbits seem happier as they have binky room as the cages are taller and wider. Not much left to do for them other than daily feeding and weekly cleaning. I do need to upgrade to bigger litter boxes but that is no big deal. I want to add a shelf or ledge to the cages to give them all a bit more floor space but I didn't want to pay $30 extra per cage for something I can add myself with a $35 roll of wire mesh and j-clips.

Roo wants to start showing the bucks but I want to go to some of the local shows this summer and see about the local 4-H groups. I do have goals of adding 2 new breeders in the next year when I can add more cages to the rabbitry. I want a breeding pair of REW Rex rabbits so I can finally see what the rest of my buns carry color wise.

I have a list of different things I need to look in to for the kids as summer gets closer.

Not nearly as much as I think I'm going to be doing. Anyone else? I can drink coffee in the morning and think of a million things I want to, and need to, get done, then I run out of steam....

Slow and steady .. and all that jazz.

We got started on the last of the 3 major projects. All three are underway now, and all three are waiting on facility electricians to do their part so we can continue with ours. But I'm glad to have them underway. Working this weekend to install 2 more systems for the Air Sampling group. That'll make 5 of those completed.
Got home and had a nice supper, then went and let the birds roam around while I smoked a cigar. Bout ready for bed now.
Been a good day Tater

I thought of Grimm when I saw a rabbit on my road today.

Friend wasn't able to go with me because his wife was sick again. Pregnancy is not being kind to her. I went and picked up my order from HD, popped into Samsclub to grab some tie CAT tie downs for when the freezer comes in, and grabbed Chinese takeout.

I have been working on the garden planting out broccoli. I planned two 4x4 raised beds and sprouted seedlings for as much. But when pre-weeding one bed I discovered a plethora of volunteer broccoli and well developed. So I have three beds of broccoli.

Tomorrow is rain.

Wednesday will have to be tomatoes.

Ben

I have been working on the garden planting out broccoli. I planned two 4x4 raised beds and sprouted seedlings for as much. But when pre-weeding one bed I discovered a plethora of volunteer broccoli and well developed. So I have three beds of broccoli.

Tomorrow is rain.

Wednesday will have to be tomatoes.

Ben
Volunteer broccoli? 😲. Wow! The garden gods are smiling on you.

It was a Monday in full force today 🫨. But on a happier note, my needle slide I ordered from Germany arrived today. Color me happy.
Hey @sonya123 when you are over there, if you happen to see a Ted Stone thumb thimble, nab it and I’ll pay ya 😁. She retired so they are no longer in production 😢.
Otherwise- sitting here watching the wind race by. 💨 🌬

It was a Monday in full force today 🫨. But on a happier note, my needle slide I ordered from Germany arrived today. Color me happy.
Hey @sonya123 when you are over there, if you happen to see a Ted Stone thumb thimble, nab it and I’ll pay ya 😁. She retired so they are no longer in production 😢.
At the end of the season I let the broccoli go to seed so I can collect seed pods. Invariably I miss some hence volunteers. Either that or they sprouted from seeds I broadcasted last year. Not sure. I think it is worth a trial of volunteer vs greenhouse sprouted. I like experiments.

Ben

Working on the yard, planting some flower seeds. Weeding, prepping garden, amending soil. So much to do.

Dog park this morning and afternoon.

Two sweet male dogs are staying with me. They only met last week, but I thought they would get along. One, Z, has been my client for almost 6 years and gets along with just about every dog. He also makes the rounds and greets humans at the park. The other, O, is more my daughters client, but she had a big presentation at work today, so I agreed to watch him for a few days to give her time to prep for her presentation. Daughter's client dog was nervous and shaking when I first got him, but he is a pistol! He got Z to chase him and they ran around and played a bit of hide and seek, peek a boo together. I figured that they would get along. Z is snoring on the couch now, dreaming and thumping his tail.

we got most everything done yesterday, but I had to order Euros at the bank, and have to pick them up when they get there. I was in the bank for like an hour, they only had a few people working, and there woman in front of me was dealing with counterfit money someone gave here. I think she was turning in cash from a store or something and some of it was fake, didn't hear the whole thing

Husband got a new Iphone. It was not a cheap as mine ( $60 last year) but reasonable. The store told us only people that already have iphone get good deals like I did, people that have other brands do not. He had a Samsung and hated it. I got tired of him complaining on what a piece of crap it is, so I told him just get a new one, since we were already at the store making mine will work in Europe .

worked on the fence some more yesterday evening will hopefully finish it today. We need to figure out where to put the "gate". We just use 2 t posts and a wooden pallet for gate, works great for sheep and goats, for some reason they won't jump over those ( the goats, the sheep don't jump)

chickens need their feathers trimmed, they are flying over the fence. Need to do goat hoofs again and finish planting the garden....not sure how we will get all this done, plus do the market Saturday but it needs to get done

At the end of the season I let the broccoli go to seed so I can collect seed pods. Invariably I miss some hence volunteers. Either that or they sprouted from seeds I broadcasted last year. Not sure. I think it is worth a trial of volunteer vs greenhouse sprouted. I like experiments.

Ben
I somehow get volunteer cherry tomotoes everywhere and I have only planted them ONCE , pumpkins come up all the time too

I don't think I know what that is?!

Latest posts

Back