Growing Celery

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have tried several times to grow celery. I love it and want to be able to grow all that I want and need.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/celery

GROWING CELERY
PLANTING, GROWING, AND HARVESTING CELERY
celery_stalks.jpg

Celery is a long-season vegetable grown in the spring or fall. It has the reputation of being fussy; however, it’s really quite easy if you understand its specific needs. Here are tips from the pros on sowing, growing, and harvesting celery.
We enjoy growing celery because it’s not only crunchy, but also more flavorful than what you typically find in grocery stores. Plus, commercial celery is one of the most pesticide-laden crops so why not grow your own!

Celery has three critical needs:
  1. A long growing season (130 to 140 days of mostly cool weather). Celery will not tolerate high heat.
  2. A constant, unfailing water supply. The soil must stay watered at all times. If celery has a spell without water, it will be problematic (stringy, tough, and/or hollow stalks).
  3. Rich, fertile soil with plenty of organic matter mixed in. The crop is a big feeder and also needs to be fertilized during its growth period, too. Because celery roots are shallow (just a few inches deep), make sure nutrients are in the top of the soil.
Celery is often grown as a winter crop in the South, a summer crop in the far North, and a fall crop in most other areas.

Transplants are hard to find, so be prepared to start plants from seed.

PLANTING
  • Because the season is so long, celery seeds should always be started indoors for the best success rate. For a spring crop, sow seeds indoors 10 to 12 weeks before the average last frost date for your area. (See local frost dates.) For a fall crop, sow in summer, timing so that you can set out transplants 10 to 12 weeks before the first autumn frost.
  • Soak seeds in warm water overnight prior to planting to reduce germination time.
  • To get good germination, don’t cover the seeds with soil. Simply press the seeds into potting soil that’s formulated for seed-starting and cover the trays or pots with plastic covers to hold the moisture. Germination should take place in about a week
  • When the plants are two inches tall, transplant them to individual peat pots or to another, deeper, flat with new potting soil. If you use flats, put the plants at least two inches apart.
  • Plant celery outdoors when the soil temperature reaches 50 degrees F. or more, and when the nights don’t dip down below 40 degrees F.
  • Work organic compost into the soil prior to planting. (Learn more about soil amendments and preparing soil for planting.) Or mix in fertilizer (about one pound of 5-10-10 per 30 square feet).
  • Harden off seedlings before transplanting by reducing water slightly, and keeping them outdoors for a couple hours a day.
  • Transplant seedlings 8 to 10 inches apart. Direct sow seeds ¼ inch deep. These will need to be thinned to 12 inches apart when they reach about six inches high.
  • Mulch the plants after they are 6 inches tall to keep the soil moist and the roots cool.
  • Water directly after planting.
CARE
  • Celery requires lots of water. Make sure to provide plenty of water during the entire growing season, especially during hot, dry weather. If celery does not get enough water, the stalks will be dry and small.
  • Add plenty of compost and mulch around the plants to retain moisture. Sidedress with a 5-10-10 fertilizer in the second and third month of growth (one tablespoon per plant and sprinkle it in a shallow furrow three to four inches from the plant and cover it with soil).
  • Keep celery weeded but be careful when weeding as celery has shallow roots and could easily get distrubed.
  • Tie growing celery stalks together to keep them from sprawling.
PESTS/DISEASES
To control pests, cover the plants with garden fabric (row covers) during the first four to six weeks of the growing season

HARVEST/STORAGE
  • The parts of celery that are harvested are mainly the stalks, which will be above ground.
  • Pick the stalks whenever you want. Young celery is as good as the mature product.
  • Harvest stalks from the outside in. You may begin harvesting when stalks are about 8 inches tall.
  • Celery can be kept in the garden for up to a month if soil is built up around it to maintain an ideal temperature. Celery will tolerate a light frost, but not consecutive frosts.
  • Tip: The darker the stalks become, the more nutrients they will contain. Texture changes with color; dark green stalks will be tougher.
  • Keep celery in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Celery stores really well; you can keep it for many weeks with no trouble.
RECOMMENDED VARIETIES
  • ‘Utah 52-70R Improved’ is good for gardeners with limited space. Will only reach 18 inches tall.
  • ‘Alfina’ has slender stalks and is a dark green, quick-growing variety (60 days to maturity).
  • ‘Conquistador’ is tolerant of higher temps and watering shortage.

WIT & WISDOM
  • Keep in mind the grocery store celery is lighter in color and bigger than homegrown celery because the commercial varieties are grown in greenhouses and/or protected from the sun; they often carries a lot of pesticides, too.
  • Celery stalks can be frozen. Cut the stalks into half-inch pieces and store in freezer-grade bags.
  • The ancient Romans believed that celery had healing powers, especially when it came to headaches.
  • Bland or boring? You may be delighted to discover that celery has many benefits. See why celery is heathy and happening.

Thanks! I grew some this year. they did okay. I fed them but apparently not enough. I think I could've added some granulated fertilizer to the top of the soil and had better growth. I'll know next year now

When I clean my celery for eating, I chop the root side off about 1 to 1.5 inches from the bottom in one chunk. If you just put that in water (root side down) in a shallow dish and put it on your window sill for sun, it will grow. You could start them that way and then transplant them when they start growing, although I think you'd likely need a good amount of sun so I'm not sure it would work in the winter. I actually tried this once and it worked, but it took a while. I can't remember what time of year I did it. Give it a go, there's nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

When I clean my celery for eating, I chop the root side off about 1 to 1.5 inches from the bottom in one chunk. If you just put that in water (root side down) in a shallow dish and put it on your window sill for sun, it will grow. You could start them that way and then transplant them when they start growing, although I think you'd likely need a good amount of sun so I'm not sure it would work in the winter. I actually tried this once and it worked, but it took a while. I can't remember what time of year I did it. Give it a go, there's nothing to lose by giving it a shot.
I have tried this before and it didn't work. It rotted. But I consider these kinds of things to be science experiments. I have a stalk of celery in the fridge now. I will give it another try.

The article said to use the outside stalks. I wonder how many plants a person would have to have to keep you in celery?

One thing I did know is that the stalk is supposed to be tied together to keep it from sprawling. I used over sized twist ties on mine. They seem to be doing better now that we have had slightly cooler weather.

I've never tied my celery up. When the stalks get big enough I just cut off what I want to eat and leave the plant in the ground. I dehydrate the leaves to use in cooking. I prefer the stalks with peanut butter.

I have tried this before and it didn't work. It rotted. But I consider these kinds of things to be science experiments. I have a stalk of celery in the fridge now. I will give it another try.

The article said to use the outside stalks. I wonder how many plants a person would have to have to keep you in celery?

Depends on how much celery you used.

Truth! I know people who do not like celery. I do know it has been recommended as something that is good for preventing headaches. I have found that to be true.

The other thing about trying to grow celery is that in my many attempts, I have never had success, until a little bit this year. I went to a plant sale this year where there were celery starts. I bought one and when I got it home realized there were 4 plants in the pot. I separated the 4 plants and planted them all in a very large pot that I will bring in before it freezes outside. I would have liked them to be larger than they are now, but that is the life of a gardener. They are growing and getting larger. I think if they had another month of a little cooler weather they would be closer to store size.

I find that there is a learning curve in gardening. I think I will also try again to plant some seeds and to keep trying. I wonder how long a plant would last if I just kept removing the outer stalks as they grow? That is another experiment for me.

I bought 2 pots of starts and managed to separate the seedlings into 9 plants for in the window boxes I used this year. They were in a spot where they got shade in the morning then sun and then later afternoon shade. They seemed to be okay with it. The shade helped to keep them cooler I guess lol

I just can't imagine chicken salad or potato or macaroni salad or even stuffing without celery lol

I bought 2 pots of starts and managed to separate the seedlings into 9 plants for in the window boxes I used this year. They were in a spot where they got shade in the morning then sun and then later afternoon shade. They seemed to be okay with it. The shade helped to keep them cooler I guess lol

I just can't imagine chicken salad or potato or macaroni salad or even stuffing without celery lol
Will you let them die when it freezes this fall/winter? The article said they have shallow roots, so they could possibly be transplanted. I have no idea about your window boxes. I have several of the long rectangular planters that I am considering putting inside, by windows, maybe with special made stands to hold them there.

I already harvested them and didn't think to keep the roots. My 9 plants gave me 24 muffin cups of chopped celery to freeze and a quart jar of dried leaves ( but if they were smashed down it's probably be a pint jar)

Truth! I know people who do not like celery. I do know it has been recommended as something that is good for preventing headaches. I have found that to be true.

The other thing about trying to grow celery is that in my many attempts, I have never had success, until a little bit this year. I went to a plant sale this year where there were celery starts. I bought one and when I got it home realized there were 4 plants in the pot. I separated the 4 plants and planted them all in a very large pot that I will bring in before it freezes outside. I would have liked them to be larger than they are now, but that is the life of a gardener. They are growing and getting larger. I think if they had another month of a little cooler weather they would be closer to store size.

I find that there is a learning curve in gardening. I think I will also try again to plant some seeds and to keep trying. I wonder how long a plant would last if I just kept removing the outer stalks as they grow? That is another experiment for me.

My plants lasted until I pulled them before a freeze.

I had the best luck I've had so far with growing celery this year. I have not harvested it yet. I covered it when we had our snowstorm and it survived.
celery1.jpg

As the information I posted earlier says, it will have a stronger taste and will be darker in color than the celery we buy in the store. It is true. Article also says to keep heavily watered. I do. I added a good amount of peat moss to the soil before I planted the celery. I have seen earwigs on it, but not for a while. There are six plants and whenever I go out and water, I usually pull one of the single stalks off and chew on it.

A recipe calls for celery flakes. Does anyone dehydrate the leaves and use those for celery flakes?

I had the best luck I've had so far with growing celery this year. I have not harvested it yet. I covered it when we had our snowstorm and it survived. View attachment 50868

As the information I posted earlier says, it will have a stronger taste and will be darker in color than the celery we buy in the store. It is true. Article also says to keep heavily watered. I do. I added a good amount of peat moss to the soil before I planted the celery. I have seen earwigs on it, but not for a while. There are six plants and whenever I go out and water, I usually pull one of the single stalks off and chew on it.

A recipe calls for celery flakes. Does anyone dehydrate the leaves and use those for celery flakes?

For generations we just chop up the leaves for spice in our dishes. Espeically conrbread dressing. But to preserve its probably a good idea to dry it.:dunno:

I would need about 4 plants... to feed the rabbit I was going to eat.
Yummy.gif

If you catch me eating raw celery, you can be sure I have already gnawed all of the legs off of the dining-room chairs :oops:.

The wife & MIL love celery though.:)

I would need about 4 plants... to feed the rabbit I was going to eat.View attachment 50880
If you catch me eating raw celery, you can be sure I have already gnawed all of the legs off of the dining-room chairs :oops:.

The wife & MIL love celery though.:)
I like it and use it when I cook soups and some salads. I have tried to grow it a few times, and somehow this year, I was able to give it what it needed. If the weather will hold up for a while, it will continue to grow. It does have a long growing season.

I like it and use it when I cook soups and some salads. I have tried to grow it a few times, and somehow this year, I was able to give it what it needed. If the weather will hold up for a while, it will continue to grow. It does have a long growing season.
Yes, and remember my opinion is coming from someone that loves Brussel sprouts so it can't be sane.
I still think they can give celery a run for the money in 'tons per acre yield' category.

Yes, and remember my opinion is coming from someone that loves Brussel sprouts so it can't be sane.
I still think they can give celery a run for the money in 'tons per acre yield' category.
You can have my share of Brussel sprouts! They may give celery a run for the money in productivity, but if I had the Brussel sprouts, they would not get eaten, they would rot!

Thanks

I've had a heck of a time getting celery to start from seeds. I can & have, but after sowing several seeds and only getting one or two to grow when transplanted. I've had better success with buying starts or using store bought stumps to regrow. I know celery is a hungry feeder and I grow it with or near beans....and if I get it just right, they grow well when planted inside the center of my pole bean towers that gives them shade & keeps it a bit cooler in the summer.

I've never gotten large or fat stalks though & usually look more like really long pencils with leaves, but they still work great in recipes. yes very dark green and much more stronger taste, so it takes less to add flavor.

You can leave the base in the ground and keep harvesting from it as long as it keeps growing though it will need some kind of protection in the colder temps of winter or in some areas anyway. I currently have 2 plants still growing in my garden that happen to be between some cabbages I left to go to seed and since we've had snow & cold temps in the 20's for a week or more already this winter I guess the cabbages were their protection, IDK but the celery seems to be doing fine. Though I have not harvested from it since last fall. This season they will go to seed as well, if I leave them long enough and when they do, they get huge.

I've dehydrated both homegrown & store bought celery and have been considering maybe grinding to a powder & adding salt for a homemade celery salt.

Don't tell the canning police, but I also have canned celery on hand as well. Shhhh, mums the word

I've had a heck of a time getting celery to start from seeds. I can & have, but after sowing several seeds and only getting one or two to grow when transplanted. I've had better success with buying starts or using store bought stumps to regrow. I know celery is a hungry feeder and I grow it with or near beans....and if I get it just right, they grow well when planted inside the center of my pole bean towers that gives them shade & keeps it a bit cooler in the summer.

I've never gotten large or fat stalks though & usually look more like really long pencils with leaves, but they still work great in recipes. yes very dark green and much more stronger taste, so it takes less to add flavor.

You can leave the base in the ground and keep harvesting from it as long as it keeps growing though it will need some kind of protection in the colder temps of winter or in some areas anyway. I currently have 2 plants still growing in my garden that happen to be between some cabbages I left to go to seed and since we've had snow & cold temps in the 20's for a week or more already this winter I guess the cabbages were their protection, IDK but the celery seems to be doing fine. Though I have not harvested from it since last fall. This season they will go to seed as well, if I leave them long enough and when they do, they get huge.

I've dehydrated both homegrown & store bought celery and have been considering maybe grinding to a powder & adding salt for a homemade celery salt.

Don't tell the canning police, but I also have canned celery on hand as well. Shhhh, mums the word
Mmmmm, canned celery would be good for making celery soup! I've never had it, just bought it a couple times to use in casseroles.

Celery is tricky to grow. Where I had my successful patch was in the shade. It had a strong flavor but, not bitter. Since celery has so much water in it, I always thought it would need to be heavily watered and that is what I did with my celery patch, watered it heavily every day.

Mmmmm, canned celery would be good for making celery soup! I've never had it, just bought it a couple times to use in casseroles.

Celery is tricky to grow. Where I had my successful patch was in the shade. It had a strong flavor but, not bitter. Since celery has so much water in it, I always thought it would need to be heavily watered and that is what I did with my celery patch, watered it heavily every day.

You've bought store canned celery??? I don't think I've ever seen it here.

If you try home canning it, just know there isn't an acceptable or FDA approved recipe or process for canning it. When I did it, I just pressure canned it in half pint jars, but don't remember for how long. Probably about the same time as most other vegetables. I've only used one jar in a pot of soup, and was fine.

You've bought store canned celery??? I don't think I've ever seen it here.

If you try home canning it, just know there isn't an acceptable or FDA approved recipe or process for canning it. When I did it, I just pressure canned it in half pint jars, but don't remember for how long. Probably about the same time as most other vegetables. I've only used one jar in a pot of soup, and was fine.
No, I just purchased cream of celery soup. I have purchased some dehydrated celery, and with my new to me dehydrator, plan to dehydrate a bunch of it.
I understand why some places recommend not canning some things, because it is not commonly done and there is not enough data to support that it is a safe thing to do. I also understand that some things are not safe to can, but I would believe if you canned celery like other vegetables, it should be fine.

ive trtied growing celery with mixed results but had better luck growing lovage. its a cousin to celery, tastes a bit stronger but the leaves i save and dry to add to what im cooking. works pretty good. grows like a weed . ive tried the tender stalks and they are like a strong celery so id use less in a recipe. the planets cang et tall and you can harvest a good bit.

i also have kept a celery 'stump' on the window sill in a glass with some water and it sprouts pretty good to be able to use some. ive planeted those sprouting stumps and theyve done ok.

ive trtied growing celery with mixed results but had better luck growing lovage. its a cousin to celery, tastes a bit stronger but the leaves i save and dry to add to what im cooking. works pretty good. grows like a weed . ive tried the tender stalks and they are like a strong celery so id use less in a recipe. the planets cang et tall and you can harvest a good bit.

i also have kept a celery 'stump' on the window sill in a glass with some water and it sprouts pretty good to be able to use some. ive planeted those sprouting stumps and theyve done ok.
I've never tried that!

i also have kept a celery 'stump' on the window sill in a glass with some water and it sprouts pretty good to be able to use some. ive planted those sprouting stumps and theyve done ok.
Lovage is a perennial, so you can harvest it year after year, with little to no work on your part.

Latest posts

Back