H Ida aimed at NOLA now cat 4

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be willing to deal with a hurricane over a fire any day.

Yes, I’ve been through 2 wildfires in the last 10 years. I decided to stay and fight both times, but I was still scared shitless. The feeling of being alone in an empty neighborhood felt like being stranded on the Moon.

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve been through 2 wildfires in the last 10 years. I decided to to stay and fight both times, but I was scared shitless. The feeling of being alone in an empty neighborhood felt like being stranded on the Moon.
Really Jayson you are a fool. I was a Voplunteer FF

My sister called yesterday. She's doing good. During the storm she lost most of the roofing shingles. One of only 3 houses with a roof. The eye passed where she lives but still on the outside of the eye. Very scary time. My area is not so bad. Going to take some time to get the power back up. Estimates are between 2 to 3 weeks. But we survived another bad hurricane. Good for now.

A lot of sob stories are coming out now. I know this was a bad storm, but everyone down there could have prepped for it. At least a few days worth of food and water, a full tank of gas with a couple 5 gallon cans in case they wanted to bug out. Flash lights, a lantern or 2, emergency radio, batteries, water filter etc. All very basic stuff. Unless they're in an apartment everyone that's lived down there for more than a few months could/should have a generator by now.
Regardless, I hope everyone makes it through.
Ah but Uncle Joe will save them, feed them, rehouse them and fund them.

Now I'm hearing that it's going to be a month before power is fully restored in NO. My nephew, who evacuated to his mother's house in Jackson, is a doctor and his wife is a nurse. They are needed in the hospital in NO but have no place to live. They could live in the hospital but they have a 8 month old son.

I saw a line of cars today , there were 4 gas pumps open , police directing traffic , I estimate 40 - 50 cars ,,,,,,,,, I was just passing by....... At the homestead , I was tired of hearing the surge of the generator so I shut down the 5 ton , and powered up the 3 small window units I store in the shed . Tonight , bedrooms are 74 degrees approx. / living room 78 degrees ........ I was well prepped for Katrina and still got my butt kicked ...... older and better prepped this time. You have to put in the time and effort.

Seen 2 gas stations open and had gas. Very long lines for either. Surveyed damage in other areas. They got it pretty hard. I consider myself very fortunate that we have only minor damage.

I saw a line of cars today , there were 4 gas pumps open , police directing traffic , I estimate 40 - 50 cars ,,,,,,,,, I was just passing by....... At the homestead , I was tired of hearing the surge of the generator so I shut down the 5 ton , and powered up the 3 small window units I store in the shed . Tonight , bedrooms are 74 degrees approx. / living room 78 degrees ........ I was well prepped for Katrina and still got my butt kicked ...... older and better prepped this time. You have to put in the time and effort.
Been there. It just makes you better.

I have a clue for what to expect In emergency. I do feel for what I am feeling and seeing from DPF members.
Its going to be much worse in SHTF. Listen and learn. This is a training exercise..

Latest posts

Back