Ham In A Brown Bag

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've made my hams this way for many years and although we haven't eaten in in 25 years I still cook them for our kids and family and they really like it.
I prepare it with whole cloves and cover with pineapple slices with tooth picks. Put it into the grocery store brown paper bag close with wooden clothes pins ,sit it on a broiler and cook according to weight. Guess you could just tuck it under if you don't have clothes pins.

I have never had a ham made this way, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of ham you buy? I like an old-fashioned one with skin on and bone in. They all seem to have been injected with water, and whatever else is needed to cure them. I just made a ham a few days ago. This one didn't seem to have as much water as others in it, but I wonder if it would be enough to disintegrate the bag?

I have never had a ham made this way, but it sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of ham you buy? I like an old-fashioned one with skin on and bone in. They all seem to have been injected with water, and whatever else is needed to cure them. I just made a ham a few days ago. This one didn't seem to have as much water as others in it, but I wonder if it would be enough to disintegrate the bag?

We did an 18 lb. shank portion we brought to Atlanta for Thanksgiving. We usually buy the Butt Portion and sometimes even the picnic. Cooked all of these in brown bag. Always get a couple from store instead of plastic just for this. May try a baking hen [ turkey too big] next time.
No the bag stays fine once the ham starts to cook it makes its own grease and the steam from the ham keeps the bag moist enough to where it doesn't burn or dry out too much.
It sure beats making a tent with all that aluminum foil plus no chems from aluminum.

Does cooking with aluminum put chemicals into food? Is it harmful to cook with aluminum? I always thought it was safe to use.
Most of the issues come from using aluminum cookware.

It’s estimated that 0.1% to 0.3% of aluminum is absorbed (bioavailable) from the diet, while 0.3% is absorbed via water. Bioavailability is increased when it is ingested with something acidic (like tomato products cooked in an aluminum pan). If not eliminated via the kidneys, it will store in the bones, lungs, muscle, liver and brain.

After contaminated workplaces, living environment, and medical treatments, the next most common source of over exposure is from chronic use of aluminum containing antacids, buffered aspirin, contaminated food, and drinking water. Many health experts counter that the true dangers are seen over a longer period of time and that many studies don’t follow up long enough to reveal long term effects

https://wellnessmama.com/91772/aluminum-safe/

As long as your food is not acidic or alkaline, aluminum is a good cooking medium. Aluminum can make food cook faster if you put the reflective side facing the food. I keeps the heat in the food - like a greenhouse. Paper bags, especially the brown paper, has clay and mastic in it. Not just the glue on the seams but in the paper too. It's not toxic but it can alter the taste - some people like the taste so it's fine. Paper is made using lye so it is alkaline but only slightly because it is rinsed in the process.
Whatever method works for you is a matter of your choice. I prefer stainless, ceramic or enameled ware with a top that fits well. The ceramic crocks work very well and as long as it is made for cooking (not lead glazed) it adds no flavors to what you cook. Cast iron adds a flavor all its own and I prefer other things when cooking in or with water.

Angie, the paper has to get to over 450F before it burns. It begins to char at around 430F. Typically your oven temps are below 400 when baking meats.

Does cooking with aluminum put chemicals into food? Is it harmful to cook with aluminum? I always thought it was safe to use.

Well guess I learned something else this week.
I hear we get way too much aluminum in our food,water cooking environment so i stopped using foil except for now and then I use it to heat or cover things sometimes.
I've used teh bag so many years I don't even remember who told me or when. :confused:

Well guess I learned something else this week.
I hear we get way too much aluminum in our food,water cooking environment so i stopped using foil except for now and then I use it to heat or cover things sometimes.
I've used teh bag so many years I don't even remember who told me or when. :confused:
I do remember that many years ago, aluminum was thought to be one of the contributers to Alzheimers. I don't know where that stands in the mix.

I do remember that many years ago, aluminum was thought to be one of the contributers to Alzheimers. I don't know where that stands in the mix.

I guess we take chances no matter what we do or avoid. My aunt never met a chemical she didn't like and she lived to be 100. If she wasn't spraying some pesticide she was cooking in aluminum or using fertilizers.

Before the White Man came to this Country and traded Metal Cookware to the Indians, the Indians Cooked Stews and Boiled Water in Rawhide Bags, or the "Paunch" of a Deer or Buffalo. As long as there is Liquid and Steam in the Bag it will not Burn, even over open Flame. Of course the Bag does need to be able to hold Water, so a Paper Bag wouldn't last long.

Boyscouts taught me how to cook hamburger on coals on a leaf.
Pat out hamburger patty then put slices of potato on each side of the patty. Sit on leaf on coals only. No flames. Allow to cook. leaf burns everywhere except where the potato is.

You can also cook eggs like this put in a half of an orange peel. Slice orange in half, scoop out orange slices. Crack egg and put inside orange peel half and sit on coals.

I will cross post this in the camping section.

Before the White Man came to this Country and traded Metal Cookware to the Indians, the Indians Cooked Stews and Boiled Water in Rawhide Bags, or the "Paunch" of a Deer or Buffalo. As long as there is Liquid and Steam in the Bag it will not Burn, even over open Flame. Of course the Bag does need to be able to hold Water, so a Paper Bag wouldn't last long.

Sitting on something that doesn't leak would suffice. Mine sits on a broiler. I'm sure the Indians could think of something.
But I am now second guessing the brown bag with the wood glue thing.:ghostly:

Latest posts

Back