Ham Radio. (School me)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetick21

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I know absolutely nothing about them
So please school me on the ways of the Ham radio.
What’s a good radio for someone starting out like me cheaper the better but also I don’t want junk.
Thank you in advance!

My wife has a technician license, that’s the “starting out” level.
She has a Baeofung (spelling?) hand held plus a CB sized unit in her truck.
A number of years ago, when a hurricane took out most forms of communication she was still able to get updates through her local HAM club.
They are very useful things.
BUT, you can’t just buy one and go on the air. Well, you can but you’ll get in trouble.
You need to be licensed, registered, and have call letters.

In general, you start with a "Technician" license, as Rice Paddy Daddy's DW did, There are a variety of online "tutorials" that can help, Use Google to help you find them. Be watchful, the technician question "pool" changed in 2022. Older ones will help , but may or may not have the latest questions on the test.

This page has lots of info: Ham Radio Information

Some places offer online help sessions/instructions blocks, when I run across any I will try to update the thread.

Another source of info is : ARRL - Home

Last edited:
Yeah, a license is required for amateur radio, but just to transmit and not listen. But don't let that put you off - getting a license isn't that difficult. HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools is what I used to get my Technician and General licenses. It's free, you can use it as much as you want. Around me, tests (yes, there is an exam for each level) are free - you just look online for when and where the next testing sessions are happening. A few days later, my call sign was assigned by the FCC and I was good to go.

Before we go much further, what is it you want to be able to do with amateur radio?

Ham radio is valuable in times of disaster. Thats been proven many times over thru the years. It's also useful just to keep up with current events such as storms, train derailments and such. Wife and I have talked with each other with one at the house and the other in the mountains, and while driving back and forth to work.
Places to study up has already been discussed.

Baefong is probably the least expensive radios. Not neccasarily the highest quality. It really depends on what you are after.

I bought a BAOFENG GT-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio from Amazon for $26
I have listened to it very little. Doesn't seem to be many people transmitting.
I get weather reports but very little else. I guess I need to spend more time learning.
I have never transmitted and I don't have a
license so I'm legal I guess.
In an emergence I would transmit and just deal with any legal issues later.

I get weather reports but very little else. I guess I need to spend more time learning.
You can check here for repeaters in your area: Repeaterbook.com - Home

Yes, you can listen all you want and be legal.
In an emergency, that is important. Unless you are going to provide assistance, transmitting is not.

I’m sure I will talk on it some but my biggest interest is having another form of communication
Amateur radio can communicate around the world, or locally a few miles. Nail down what you're after and we'll go from there.

For me, communication concerns are fairly local (within 100 miles), so VHF/UHF and repeaters suffice. If you're looking for local comms, I suggest taking a look at the Repeaterbook link @dademoss posted above and see if there are repeaters in your area. Get a cheap handheld ham radio like a Baofeng UV-5R (or variant) and get it set up to listen to repeaters in your area. Programming a radio is easier with Chirp programming software than just by using the keypad.

Are there any radio clubs near you? Getting involved with them can really help connect you to locals with experience.

If you find you can't reach any local repeaters, maybe due to terrain, there are other options in the ham radio world. Let us know.

I’m still new to all of this and really clueless on a lot of it.
Between the information I’ve got from you guys and research y’all have put me on I’m figuring it out and figuring out exactly what I’m trying to do.
I’m unaware of any clubs or repeaters in my area but will find out!
Thank you again for the help!

And with just a quick google search I have a club just 6-7 miles from me that I didn’t know about

I don’t see a need to communicate around the world. I can see maybe 100 or so miles being sufficient for me as well

If you have any very specific questions I can ask my brother. He has been doing it practically his whole life, and is the president of a ham radio club. I don't know anything about it and don't feel like doing it lol but I can ask. He does not live in US so maybe rules are different but I am sure he could give you some ideas on equipment and stuff
One good thing about it is he speaks pretty good English for someone never having lived in a English speaking country

If you have any very specific questions I can ask my brother. He has been doing it practically his whole life, and is the president of a ham radio club. I don't know anything about it and don't feel like doing it lol but I can ask. He does not live in US so maybe rules are different but I am sure he could give you some ideas on equipment and stuff
One good thing about it is he speaks pretty good English for someone never having lived in a English speaking country
Thank you. Once I get in to it a lil more I’m sure I’ll have a few questions!

1676294535271.png

As mention Baofeng handheld radios (UV-5R $36) are very inexpensive. They also can be programed for GRMS and FRS frequencies. Transmitting on GRMS frequencies require a license (fill out a form, $35 and you're good for 10 years). FRS does not require a license to transmit. Advertised range is 25 miles and actual range is closer to a half of a mile. Legally because the Baofeng has a detachable antenna it can not be used for GRMS and FRS transmission.

Instead of Boafeng (HAM) I would recommend Yeasu FT-4X ($100). A couple of key presses can unlock this radio for GRMS and FRS frequencies. Legally because the Baofeng has a detachable antenna it can not be used for GRMS and FRS transmission.

Acquiring a basic (Technician) amateur radio (HAM) license takes about 10 hours of study, a written test and $35 and you're good for 10 years.

"Your range on ham radio starts at 5 miles with a simple handheld and extends all the way around the world once you have the right license and equipment.

The distance a signal will reach depends on a lot of things, including:

• The frequency you’re transmitting on.
  • Your transmitter’s output power.
  • The type of antenna you’re using.
  • Propagation conditions.

Citizen Band (CB) radio is another option. A handheld unit ($100) and will have a range of around 3 miles. No license is required. 40 preprogramed frequencies.

In our situation we use licensed Midland handheld GRMS/FRS ($80 for a pair) for close communication. For longer range we could switch to VHF amateur radio. A CB base and programable scanner could be useful to monitor other frequencies.

Bluetick your oringinal post it is like asking what vehicle is recommended without posting what the planned use for the vehicles is? Off road? 2 or more wheels? Amphibious? Tracked or wheeled? Big bore engine or 4-cylinder? Give us a general idea what your intent is for the radio and we could be more precise in our answers.

Purchasing a scanner and performing an auto scan will allow you to discover who and what frequencies are in use in your area.

Last edited:
I'd love to get one; but maybe that's me with rose collared glasses- the reality of what I may hear could be different!
I'm not sure I understand you there, but why not get one? They're inexpensive and I believe amazon sells models of the Baofeng UV-5R for the EU. There are several repeaters in Ireland. You could easily program your radio - using Chirp (see above) for free - so you could listen in: RepeaterBook.com: Quick Search

Listening doesn't require a license.

I know absolutely nothing about them
So please school me on the ways of the Ham radio.
What’s a good radio for someone starting out like me cheaper the better but also I don’t want junk.
Thank you in advance!
Lots of good replies. I have been licensed for almost 60 years and most of that as an extra class. I came from a family with several hams and my main interest was engineering, but I did enjoy operating CW and AM and only did SSB for the emergency nets and handling traffic, and doing phone patches for M.A.R.S. during the later years of the Vietnam war. It was my pleasure to help soldiers in VN talk to their families back home. When I worked MARS at the club station back then, we used the Collins S line same as the Military bases. Below was one corner of my home ham shack back then.
FF 1970 MARS 2.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of good replies. I have been licensed for almost 60 years and most of that as an extra class. I came from a family with several hams and my main interest was engineering, but I did enjoy operating CW and AM and only did SSB for the emergency nets and handling traffic, and doing phone patches for M.A.R.S. during the later years of the Vietnam war. It was my pleasure to help soldiers in VN talk to their families back home. When I worked MARS at the club station back then, we used the Collins S line same as the Military bases. Below was one corner of my home ham shack back then.
View attachment 103941
From a Vietnam vet - Thank You.

Latest posts

Back