Hello from SoCal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Alaska!

Back in the 90's i lived in Riverside then in Santa Clarita. I hated it! Took a job in West Virginia just to get out of la. Sadly, a few yrs later i ended up in the bay area, san mateo, for a couple more yrs. Couldn't wait to get out of ca for good.

I can't imagine how bad things are there now... just what i've read. I'm just happy i'm not there! Hopefully you'll find a good place to live. We have a couple members who have left socal in the last few years. They might have some tips for you. :)
Thank you. Yeah it is awful here. Everything is gotten out of control expensive and government is horrible trying to control every aspect of life. Ready to be gone from here!

hello and welcome from rocky mountain montana, after the intro post put up a post about what kind of growing season and amenities you are looking for.
We escaped eastern washington state 27 years ago and love it here in montana.
the people and political climate make more of a difference than the growing season. We can grow a surprising amount of food......you should taste our winesap type apples that are just now ripe....

I am currently in SoCal for about another 12 or so months and then plan to head out of Cali to build my own homestead. looking for property in a cooler area now so that I can have a running start when I am ready to move.
Idaho is generally considered the most "homestead friendly" of the states, with low taxes, a relatively laissez-faire state government, one of the better aquifers in he country, four seasons, large number of State Parks and National Forests. low population, lower land prices and property values, and a bunch more considerations which tend to be attractive to most "preppers".

Things for all my California friends to remember if you do move here:

• Go immediately to the county Motor Vehicles Department and exchange your license plates.

• Not all of us grow potatoes as a hobby.

• Idaho is surrounded by six U.S. States and the province of British Columbia. All of them, but one have quite liberal drug laws. We do not.

• Several out-of-state visitors have claimed to have seen Idahoans carrying what seems to be some kind of gun on their person. This is not a problem; all the guns are unloaded and are carried here more as a fashion accessory.
Dawn and I moved here five years ago from the fifth-largest city in the US, and we like it just fine.

Don't come to Oregon we are full. Just kidding we moved from the Lancaster area about 6 years ago. It's beautiful here but still a little left coast. Most of us country folk just do whatever we want and buy marshmallows when Portland is on fire.

Don't come to Oregon we are full. Just kidding we moved from the Lancaster area about 6 years ago. It's beautiful here but still a little left coast. Most of us country folk just do whatever we want and buy marshmallows when Portland is on fire.
This is why I indicate what part of Oregon we live in, here we are pretty much a non-left coast life style, our limit for travel in this state is to not go north of Eugene, actually hate driving on I-5 north of Eugene and the only reason we go there is to get solar supplies, which since I finished our solar system, we've not been there. The furthest we travel from our home is Roseburg to the north and Medford to the south. Portland is never, never land, we will absolutely keep away from there, to us it's like a third world country.

I am currently in SoCal for about another 12 or so months and then plan to head out of Cali to build my own homestead. looking for property in a cooler area now so that I can have a running start when I am ready to move.
I hope you make it out of there before it collapses. :(
The billionaires and millionaires have already fled and soon all of the "free-money" holding it up, will evaporate.
Good luck... and you have the right plan.:thumbs:

welcome! I lived in Northern CA for 30 years (did a brief stent in SoCal..the IE for college) moved out in 2007. It was terrible back then, can't imagine what its like living down there now. Hope you find a good place soon!

Heya Neighbor! -

I am currently in SoCal for about another 12 or so months and then plan to head out of Cali to build my own homestead..,

Congrats on yer 'Escape Plan from the Caltanic' - We F I N A L L Y escaped last year, now in SW AZ, and Lovin it. :cool: Was in CA 28 yrs, but That's All she wrote - it is Truly Lost. o_O

..Still Love the STATE (Mountains / Ocean / Valleys / Forests, etc) but 99.9% of People - And 100% of Excremento - are Absolutely Hopeless. Even worse, are the Many-Millions who are 'Cali-Culture / Hollymold-Stockholmed', believing that CA and it's People (including the 'Governance') can simply do no wrong, and, '..if we can Just get the Right Politician in.. Next time, it'll be Better!' :rolleyes:

..So - Glad to hear yer not 'One of Them', and yer Gettin Out! 👍 Godspeed to yer Journey. :cool:

jd

Welcome from here. Just remember, when you leave California, leave California behind. Don't bring it with you.
This is important because I've known people that came here to Oregon to escape the heavy handedness of politics and what ever going on in California only to want some of the laws and regulations done here that they escaped California from, it's gotten. to the point that our liberal Oregon politicians are saying that they want to do things here just like California does. So Mountain trapper, your post is absolutely right on, thank you and I am not anti-Californian as I have many friends that came from there and they did not "Bring it with you."

Welcome! Grew up in the southern desert. Left in 90 and only went back to visit family. Haven't been back since 2005.

Where are you planning to plant your roots when you leave CA?
Thanks! Not sure where I am going yet, although I do want a location not as hot (but not frigid) and neighbors that are at least 1-2 miles away...LOL

Thanks! Not sure where I am going yet, although I do want a location not as hot (but not frigid) and neighbors that are at least 1-2 miles away...LOL
You might try my state of Georgia, if you still lean a little left you'll be right at home in Atlanta. the rest of the state is red though. :)

Latest posts

Back