hello from texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesY

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello, I'm James. My family and I bought a small place outside of town last year. We have 3 acres and decided to make a go of it and see how well we do.

To date we have rabbits, chickens, a back to Eden garden, some raised beds and a few fruit trees. We have had pretty good success canning as well.

Sounds like a great start! welcome to the forums.

So I started dabbling with YouTube. Here's some pics of what we got so far. Any advice or critism or ways to increase productivity are welcomed! We just now got the trellis in. It should help us grow alot more in our space . Wasn't sure about the rabbit set up so I just winged it. I built the coop next to the garden with a gate in between so I can let the chickens run the garden in the winter. That's pretty much it. We are a long way from our goal bit chipping away daily.

Thanks. We are pretty new to all this. We need all the help we can get!

:welcome::green man:from Florida.

Good for yall for closing in the raised beds, that will save you lots of crop loss. Only thing I'd suggest is to put chicken wire around the bottom to keep out wild rabbits.
We went up 18" on the welded or cattle wire and outside 2' flat on the ground. This way they can't come through the fence or dig under it.

:welcome::green man:from Florida.

Good for yall for closing in the raised beds, that will save you lots of crop loss. Only thing I'd suggest is to put chicken wire around the bottom to keep out wild rabbits.
We went up 18" on the welded or cattle wire and outside 2' flat on the ground. This way they can't come through the fence or dig under it.

Awesome. Thanks haven't seen any rabbits in the yard yet but I know they are around. I've seen them while driving. I wonder if the dogs are keeping them away?

Awesome. Thanks haven't seen any rabbits in the yard yet but I know they are around. I've seen them while driving. I wonder if the dogs are keeping them away?

Dogs will keep them away to an extent, mine have killed many rabbit but they always seemed to sneak in and get our veggies, cleaned the clock on our young squash. Then someone told us about the chicken wire about 15 years ago, not a single loss since. Dogs are really good at protecting our chickens when we had chickens.
Lots of really smart people here so I'm sure you will like the forum.

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee! Enjoy your stay and looking forward to more videos and pictures.
welcome-pirate-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back