Hi from Wigan in the UK

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiroUK

New Friend
Neighbor
A little about myself.
My wife and I live in a smallish town in North West of UK called Wigan. We are both in mid 50s.

My son recently married a lovely young woman from SA Texas and they live there.

In 3 years he will become a US citizen and then we will be eligible to move there.

The only thing that is worrying me about the possible move is health care costs. I have no health issues and my wife is healthy apart from high blood pressure, which requires 2 daily tablets.

The mainstream media over here is as bad as yours and I don't trust what they say are they say about health care costs.

Can health care be found that isn't really expensive? If so would anyone here be able to give me examples of how and the cost of these examples.

We have enough savings to buy a few acres with a property in Texas, with small pensions to live on. But this wouldn't stretch to big monthly health insurance payments.
I hope there are cheap and cheerful healthcare options or my dream will fail at the first hurdle.

if any1 here has any questions about the UK I will be able to give you a working class true perspective in my replys.

sorry for the monster hello post 🙂

Welcome to the family! Pull up a stump and stay awhile! Btw we don’t mind monster hello posts. Gives us an idea of who we’re welcoming. 🙂
I can’t answer your health care cost question as we currently live in a bad state. Hopefully people from “free-er” states can help you out. :welcome:

Welcome from Texas (W of Ft Worth). Cost of living in Tx is lower than a lot of states, not sure about insurance. Hubby and I lost our good insurance when Obamacare came along. Can NOT afford the affordable care act!!! There are "Medishare" options ya'll might want to check out. I think it's a matter of doing a bunch of homework!! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy our lovely forum!!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your future U.S. citizenship!

Medical. When you reach age 65 (?) Social Security and Medicare are available. In my area of the country hospitals operate on sliding pay scale based on the patiences income.

But if you're still in your 50's, you can work, and some jobs offer insurance benefits. Not free, but at a discount to you.
We do not have "socialized" medicine here. (and don't want it, either)
Some docs offer discounts for cash payments, like 30 percent off an office visit. Some hospitals offer plans that you can purchase based on your income, that are reasonable. But nothing is free.

Welcome from Alaska! You live not far from some family members who live near Lincoln.

Health care cost in the US is based on insurance which is either employer based or government based. Based on your insurance cost, your cost would be copays and deductibles. There is much more to it, but this is the high level overview.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. I hope all goes well for your future plans to join your son. If you are in your mid 50's my suggestion would be to find work if you are physically able. As previously mentioned, many companies provide health benefits to employees and their families, even some of the low level jobs. That would help carry you over until you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits assuming that day comes. I thought Amish Heart made an excellent suggestion having your son do the research for you in Texas.

Good to have you with us.

Welcome from Kentucky.
I'm on SS/Medicare/VA disability. Wife is on SS with a Humana Advantage plan . Our biggest expense is the cost of Medicare.

So I can't tell you about private healthcare.

Employee insurance is what all my adult kids have , and it's still spensive.

Jim

Welcome from Utah! Health insurance can be weird here, as it normally goes through your employer or via government (Medicaid). It's not easy to find a private plan, but each state has a department of insurance which will have good resources for seeing what's available; Here's Texas': https://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/health-insurance.html

Welcome from Utah! Health insurance can be weird here, as it normally goes through your employer or via government (Medicaid). It's not easy to find a private plan, but each state has a department of insurance which will have good resources for seeing what's available; Here's Texas': Health insurance
TeeJ to the rescue!! That is THE needed info!!

Welcome aboard.
Health insurance is a big expense for us. I haven't been able to find any insurance that isn't either expensive or inadequate. You either pay up front monthly or get stuck with big out of pocket charges.
My wife's insurance is around $400 a month for everything. It's a very good plan but not cheap.
One of the bad things about insurance is they are different from state to state. One plan my be offered in one area but not another. That includes Medicare supplemental plans. So stick to the state you are moving too like TeeJ mentioned.

Welcome from Mississippi! I was in my 50's and had no insurance when we lived out West. Thyroid was my only issue. Went to a border town in Mexico and got my meds for $6 for 100 pills no prescription. SA will be close to a border town also. Not sure how safe it is to do that today, but it is still done in AZ. I went to Algodones. Anyway, your son should have a handle on it by the time you get here. Good to meet you!

So our hospital redeemed themselves today. They billed us $5,000 for my 3 hr ER visit, our insurance sharing Christian plan we have wouldn't pay any, and the hospital took our bill down to $650 after they found out we have three additional dependents (grandkids) that we don't get money for. Things are negotiable sometimes. Signing up for Blue Cross starting in January. It'll be about $400 a month for me.

A little about myself.
My wife and I live in a smallish town in North West of UK called Wigan. We are both in mid 50s.

My son recently married a lovely young woman from SA Texas and they live there.

In 3 years he will become a US citizen and then we will be eligible to move there.

The only thing that is worrying me about the possible move is health care costs. I have no health issues and my wife is healthy apart from high blood pressure, which requires 2 daily tablets.

The mainstream media over here is as bad as yours and I don't trust what they say are they say about health care costs.

Can health care be found that isn't really expensive? If so would anyone here be able to give me examples of how and the cost of these examples.

We have enough savings to buy a few acres with a property in Texas, with small pensions to live on. But this wouldn't stretch to big monthly health insurance payments.
I hope there are cheap and cheerful healthcare options or my dream will fail at the first hurdle.

if any1 here has any questions about the UK I will be able to give you a working class true perspective in my replys.

sorry for the monster hello post 🙂
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, don't worry about your monster hello post, sometimes I give monster welcome posts.

Welcome from Alabama, I retired from a Government job so got to keep my BCBS for exactly what I was paying for it while working, and I have Medicare.my BCBS is way cheaper than the others like Humana and so on.

Welcome from Colorado. Once you retire in the U.S., you qualify for Medicare. There are supplemental health plans that are available for so much less than full coverage that we pay for. I am retired but when I was working, my health care costs were $400 + a month. They are much less now.

Latest posts

Back