Home Security

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchboy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I posted this on another forum, so I'll throw it out on here as well. I'm curious about your home security methods. The spectrum runs from detailed planning to just having a gun nearby. With home invasions on the rise, I'm curious to know just how much detail and or planning do you place on home security?

Some swear by a shotgun or rifle while others are content with any old gun nearby. Others swear by a dog in the home while others have an elaborate security system compete with censers and cameras. How bout you? How do you defend against a home invasion? Are you prepared?

Full alarm system with cameras connected to it. Independent Ring notification doorbell. Security screens, panic alarms, and if they enter, I have three pistols in 3 different places easily accessed but hidden from view to the typical friendly.

Alarm system that gets set to "instant" after dog goes out for last time at night. No delay on alarm sounding if a sensor is tripped. Security bar midway on patio slider instead of broomstick in track. Hardware on front door beefed up where it won't yield to even a battering ram. Dog is encouraged to alert to strange sounds at night. Plus a Rem 870 20ga and a pistol or three accessible but not in sight.

Probably overboard, but a result of a break in and arson that we were a victim of back in 1999.

Doors and jambs are steel security doors, ground floor windows are resin. Motion sensor lights on the outside the house with cameras. The house itself has a full security system with motion, smoke, carbon monoxide sensors. I have a chiweenie and a daschund inside and my hunting dogs outside, redbones. pit bulls (Yes I hunt with them, hog catch dogs) and Bassett hounds( best rabbit dog there is) that act as an early warning system.

Much like you guys, awareness of my surroundings are key! I live in a very heavy wooded area ( NJ Pine Barrens). It's a relatively safe and quiet area, however someone could break into your home and no one would hear it or know it. While I live about 150 feet from the roadway I can usually see someone approaching my home.

Without lighting (which is on at night), it is pitch black around here. I have good solid steel doors, complete with alarms, and hurricane proof sliding glass doors. My home basically has two floors and I spend most of my time on the lower level. While home, I always have access to a loaded firearm as I keep one within easy access on each floor, but not in sight. I don't carry on me at home, but as I said, I have easy access to them if needed. At night I always have access to a gun within arms reach and even rifles if need be.

While I have never had any problems here, I do however run through mental "what if's" should, GOD forbid, something does happen. Knowing this and having access to weapons, allows me to sleep well at night.

Four hound dogs & always a gun or large knife near ie; my cane !.............
P1550511.JPG
So if someone comes in, they had better be armed with the intent to kill because I am !...............

I had done a lot of security improvements to my last house. We moved to this house last summer and I have done nothing here yet. We are well out in the country but a break in can occur anywhere of course.
I did recently add motion sensor lights but mainly that is just to see all the critters that we have around here. The inside of my home is saturated in weapons and my policy is to always be armed whenever I walk out the door.
I do plan on doing some security improvements here this summer.

We're out in the country and this area is pretty crime free but I always carry even in the house. Plus we have motion lights outside and a security system with motion detector,camera,door and window sensors and smoke/carbon monoxide sensors. I have phone app that I can access the system wherever I am and see what's going on inside with the camera.

Don't have a home security system other than a G27 and a M1 carbine at the ready. Don't need a 'security system'.
Years ago when Alabama passed the Castle law, it declared 'open season' on home invaders. The problem took care of itself.
The weekly paper always ended with the words "...and no charges will be filed against the homeowner" and word got out.
All of our burglars are either pushing up daisies in the cemetery or (if they're lucky), locked away in jail for their own safety.
It's estimated that 85% of homes down here have firearms and our crooks may not be smart, but they are not that stupid.

Don't have a home security system other than a G27 and a M1 carbine at the ready. Don't need a 'security system'.
Years ago when Alabama passed the Castle law, it declared 'open season' on home invaders. The problem took care of itself.
The weekly paper always ended with the words "...and no charges will be filed against the homeowner" and word got out.
All of our burglars are either pushing up daisies in the cemetery or (if they're lucky), locked away in jail for their own safety.
It's estimated that 85% of homes down here have firearms and our crooks may not be smart, but they are not that stupid.

Same goes here in Missouri.... The only time my front door is shut and locked is when we go to bed or are not at home !..............

No home security does absolutely no good when you are away for a week and you come home to a burned out shell and everything you own except for what's with you is gone. Castle doctrine only works if you are home.

Castle doctrine only works if you are home.
This isn't completely true.
See, it's not the G27 or carbine that makes my home safe. It's the fact that other people like me have rendered the burglars extinct.
If an idiot does decide to break into homes, it's not very long at all before he gets toasted.
The ones in the cemetery and jail, eh they don't break in anymore. The Castle Doctrine works when you're not home because the BG never shows up.
Even 'wannabe' burglars can't be sure that nobody's home, the guy may be in the back knocking off a piece and just won't answer the door.
...burglar's definitely going to get shot more than once for that!
eek.gif

This isn't completely true.
See, it's not the G27 or carbine that makes my home safe. It's the fact that other people like me have rendered the burglars extinct.
If an idiot does decide to break into homes, it's not very long at all before he gets toasted.
The ones in the cemetery and jail, eh they don't break in anymore. The Castle Doctrine works when you're not home because the BG never shows up.
Even 'wannabe' burglars can't be sure that nobody's home, the guy may be in the back knocking off a piece and just won't answer the door.
...burglar's definitely going to get shot more than once for that!
View attachment 5507
Easy enough to say until you have lost everything.

In 2016, the latest year Alabama has released statistics on, there were 33,246 burglarys reported. While the numbers are decreasing, they are obviously not eliminated.

In 2016, the latest year Alabama has released statistics on, there were 33,246 burglarys reported. While the numbers are decreasing, they are obviously not eliminated.
That's true.
But my odds of baggin' one (or getting broken into) is getting pretty slim.
So people won't think I'm talking out of my hiney....
Here's the stats; since the population changes, look at the #per 100,000 population and see if you can spot when the Castle Law was passed and they opened the season.
:D
Alabama:
Year.....Burglaries...# Per 100,000 Population
1997-----42,032---------973
1998-----38,913---------894
1999-----37,058---------848
2000----36,802---------827
2001-----37,437---------838
2002-----40,128---------894
2003-----41,105---------913
2004-----42915---------947
2005-----41,266---------905
2006-----40,866--------888
2007-----43,114---------931
2008-----47,698--------1023
2009-----46,658---------991
2010-----40,859---------855
2011-----50,427---------1050
2012-----44,989---------933
2013-----40,183---------831
2014-----37,354---------770
2015-----34,159---------703
2016-----33,246---------683

Again, this is not something you will hear about on the national media.
NoDeal.gif

In Alabama, we bag'em & tag'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
In line with my belief that the castle doctrine deters burglary. The rate in North Carolina is down to 721 per 100,000. I was reading your state statutes. They are similar to ours. You, as we are, are protected from civil and criminal prosecution if the deadly force use was clean.

Still, the castle doctrine only works when you are home. I spent about 7% of the value of the house to harden the windows and doors. A good investment I think. Plus I chose a floor plan that had no back entrance. Our entries face the street and drive that is visible from the street. Not the woods and undeveloped land to the rear of the house.

In line with my belief that the castle doctrine deters burglary. The rate in North Carolina is down to 721 per 100,000. I was reading your state statutes. They are similar to ours. You, as we are, are protected from civil and criminal prosecution if the deadly force use was clean.

Still, the castle doctrine only works when you are home. I spent about 7% of the value of the house to harden the windows and doors. A good investment I think. Plus I chose a floor plan that had no back entrance. Our entries face the street and drive that is visible from the street. Not the woods and undeveloped land to the rear of the house.
Good choices. This is all about what it takes to feel secure.
We are fortunate(?) enough to not have many expensive items in the house and live in a blue-collar neighborhood. We're not high up on anybody's list.:rolleyes:
The only priceless items here are us, and we have that covered. If we had many valuable possessions it would be a completely different story. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving without cameras and a security system running.
Speaking of having us covered, the Mrs. rarely gets a chance to shoot but did this past Thanksgiving. Her target area is not center-mass, it's the groin.
The silhouette target verified that anyone that runs across her and the G27, would no longer qualify as male.:eek:
I do wish the media would do an article about what the Castle Doctrine laws have done to the burglary numbers though. It's more than noteworthy:
Ours, 3 sheets of paper with words on them = 25% reduction in burglaries.
Cost the state about 12 ¢ents.

That's true.
But my odds of baggin' one (or getting broken into) is getting pretty slim.
So people won't think I'm talking out of my hiney....
Here's the stats; since the population changes, look at the #per 100,000 population and see if you can spot when the Castle Law was passed and they opened the season.
Alabama:
Year.....Burglaries...# Per 100,000 Population
1997-----42,032---------973
1998-----38,913---------894
1999-----37,058---------848
2000----36,802---------827
2001-----37,437---------838
2002-----40,128---------894
2003-----41,105---------913
2004-----42915---------947
2005-----41,266---------905
2006-----40,866--------888
2007-----43,114---------931
2008-----47,698--------1023
2009-----46,658---------991
2010-----40,859---------855
2011-----50,427---------1050
2012-----44,989---------933
2013-----40,183---------831
2014-----37,354---------770
2015-----34,159---------703
2016-----33,246---------683

Again, this is not something you will hear about on the national media.View attachment 5523
In Alabama, we bag'em & tag'em.

I must be missing something here because I don't see that much of a difference to tell when the law came into effect. :confused:o_O

I live in a small town, full of good people. My home has no defenses.

[And I don't have my BG trophy head on the wall - yet.]

I live in a small town, full of good people. My home has no defenses.

[And I don't have my BG trophy head on the wall - yet.]

VT, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but if I may revert back to my original question, " how would you defend against a home invasion"? "Are you prepared"?

BTW, I'm just keeping the board going, that's all!

I must be missing something here because I don't see that much of a difference to tell when the law came into effect. :confused:o_O
Don't know what state you're in or if your law is as simple as ours. It makes a lot of difference.
Also it's hard to tell when 2 burglaries (that didn't happen) don't show up in the paper.
Doesn't make a sound.
I look at the "bagged & tagged" articles. You have to sort thru the lib-media slant sometimes. They love calling the homeowner "the suspect", is still being questioned by police.
(if they stood a little closer they'd hear: "What hollow-points were those? They ate his ass UP!!!")
One, just one BG, picked the wrong house in Huntsville and when he was carried out feet-first, the cops said he was suspected in 77 burglaries.
Guess how many of his, will be in the paper next month? Zer0.
Just a few like that one being "retired" can make a huge difference. There really isn't that many of them.
And then word spreads on both sides. Citizens: "Blast'em!!" ; BG's: "What? Are you F**KIN' CRAZY? You'll get your ass KILLED!".
The numbers don't lie. The law works. It's probably more than -25% for us.
VT, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but if I may revert back to my original question, " how would you defend against a home invasion"? "Are you prepared"?
Back on topic!
The previously mentioned G27 and carbine are backed up by a KSG holding 14 rounds of OOB in case of multiple intruders.
Also my neighborhood is populated by numerous bored retired people with nothing to do all day but stand with their nose glued to the front window, holding the phone in their hand.

If I'm outside and I fart, I have to yell "EXCUSE ME!" in three different directions
lol.gif

In Illinois we may not/shall not use deadly force just because someone illegally entered my home. Have to show I was in real fear of death or great bodily harm.

In Illinois we may not/shall not use deadly force just because someone illegally entered my home. Have to show I was in real fear of death or great bodily harm.

I thought the law said that you can use force if someone comments a forceful felon entrance?

I thought the law said that you can use force if someone comments a forceful felon entrance?

That would put you in the required fear. My ex biz partner was a cop and I took some courses at PTI ( Police Training Institute ) instructed by LEOs.

Alabama Title 13A-3-23) said:
(2) Using or about to use physical force against an occupant of a dwelling while committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling.
Translation: Unless the person that pushes the front door open, or came in uninvited, is wearing a Girl Scouts uniform, fair game.
We know a BG when we run across one.
"Get on the ground!"
Didn't run, still standing, not showing a badge, BG. Toast.
What is "required fear" anyway? How do they measure it?
I fear any stranger that comes in my house uninvited (except Girl Scouts).:D

Translation: Unless the person that pushes the front door open, or came in uninvited, is wearing a Girl Scouts uniform, fair game.
We know a BG when we run across one.
"Get on the ground!"
Didn't run, still standing, not showing a badge, BG. Toast.
What is "required fear" anyway? How do they measure it?
I fear any stranger that comes in my house uninvited (except Girl Scouts).:D

What it boils down to is in IL deadly force may not be used to protect property. "Required fear" is left for the home owner to convince the cops and State's Attorney. If I have to drop a BG in my home, trust me, they had a weapon and I was in fear of my or my wife's life. Glad I took the courses and have Second Call Defense insurance.

What it boils down to is in IL deadly force may not be used to protect property. "Required fear" is left for the home owner to convince the cops and State's Attorney. If I have to drop a BG in my home, trust me, they had a weapon and I was in fear of my or my wife's life. Glad I took the courses and have Second Call Defense insurance.
Every burglar has 2 fists.
Plenty of people have been beaten to death.
I won't be one.
That's good enough for me or 12 of my peers.
And the cops know it.
The BG's toast.
(unless he's lying down or running away, of course)

Every burglar has 2 fists.
Plenty of people have been beaten to death.
I won't be one.
That's good enough for me or 12 of my peers.
And the cops know it.

Ah, but not in Illinois, really. One of the shoot/don't shoot scenarios on the TI simulator was a guy going to punch you out. In IL getting punched does not constitute fear of great bodily harm or death. Hey, this IS after all the state that fails to prosecute gangstas in Chicago for repeat firearm violations. My ex biz partner busted Eric Kirk multiple times and he kept getting released to prey on people.

At one of the Home Defense courses ( shotgun and handgun ) the LEO instructor said to state to responding officer/s, " I was in fear of my life and used my legal weapon to neutralize the threat, I will file a formal complaint but at this time I am invoking my 5A right and will make no further statement or answer any further questions until I have the opportunity to consult with my attorney".

Ah, but not in Illinois, really.
... " I was in fear of my life and used my legal weapon to neutralize the threat, I will file a formal complaint but at this time I am invoking my 5A right and will make no further statement or answer any further questions until I have the opportunity to consult with my attorney".
When the state's attorneys are bending over backwards to defend home invaders, you may be living in the wrong state.
I know you've been down here before, ever consider:
uhaul-truck-picture-5.jpg

wink.gif

(statement to cops down here: "that dead guy, he broke into my house to commit burglary, he fucked up and I shot him. What's for lunch?")

When the state's attorneys are bending over backwards to defend home invaders, you may be living in the wrong state.
I know you've been down here before, ever consider:
uhaul-truck-picture-5.jpg

:DView attachment 5550

You have no idea how much I want to see IL in the rearview mirror. Texas sounds good this time of year. Glo turns 65 this year and goes on Medicare so maybe we can work something out with health insurance. I figure with the lower taxes and cost of living i.e. property prices we could do well.

I'm certain Texas has their stuff together too.
Anywhere down here would be better than up there.
Tell'em to stuff it.
Get yourself free.

Latest posts

Back