Homesteading with disabilities

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star_Chick

Psalm 23
Neighbor
Is it possible?

I have several disorders that have sidelined me at the age of 36. Autoimmune disorder, syringomyelia, and brain stem compression are just a few of the issues. I’m in a wheelchair part of the time. During the winter I’m put into at-home medical isolation due to not having a properly functioning immune system. I have a high risk of a stroke or respiratory failure. My husband and I will be buying a farm within the next couple of years. I’m just concerned we’ll buy it and I won’t be able to help.

Does anyone have disabilities and are able to work a farm? I’d like to hear about it.

Thanks.

I expect that depends on how badly you want it. My guess is that you will not be able to do everything that you want. I also expect that you can't do everything that you want right now. A positive attitude will be a great asset, but isn't that always true.

Eighty percent of all problems are system problems. In other words, if you can develop the right system then you can do much more.

I know a person who's son built her a wheelchair accessible raised garden bed and so she now has no problem growing a lot of vegetables for her family.

One of my sisters has serious health issues but also lives out of the county on a piece of land. Yet shes still close to a small hospital, just in case of an emergency. Plus she has regular doctors appointments at that hospital for her health issues.

I think the great thing about homesteading is that you can personalize it and do what you can when you can and it eventually all comes together.

My husband has serious health issues and we have a farm we go to often, although my cousin does the actual farming. What do you do right now to be able to accomplish what needs to be done? I know husband is up at 430 to get ready for work, and can't carry water and coffee from the kitchen, so we have it set up in our bathroom each evening. We have a ramp up the steps to our farmhouse. We keep a shower chair at our main house, and a transfer bench to take a shower in our bathtub/shower at the farmhouse. He's not into farming at all anyway, but I have done the raised beds here at home for growing, because my knees hurt. They are stocktanks with holes drilled in them for drainage and they set up high on cinder blocks. We are considering buying a 4 wheeler, 2 seater for the farm so husband can get around on all 23 acres. Our drawback is our farm is a two story. he never goes upstairs, so we're thinking of enlarging the bottom floor (someday).

My Uncle has medical issues and mostly gets around in a wheelchair.
He built raised garden beds long ago and he grew vegetables in them.
My brother put in a concrete sidewalk for him around the beds so he could wheel around.
Now however he is unable to do that.
He has COPD so he mostly just site in his chair and naps.
Hard times for a man that was active and productive all his life.

Our circumstances are a little different. Wife had a bad car wreck 25 years ago and suffered a broken neck. After 3 years of therapy she eventually regain use of everything, but with a major loss of range of motion and limited hand and arm strength. Over the years she has figured out ways to do certain tasks. 5 years ago she started having a lot of arm and shoulder Dr did a rotator cuff repair. The next year still more pain and had to get a titanium cage put in her neck that fused C2 thru C7 in her neck. The original surgery fused C6 and C7. That helped a lot with the pain, but her other arm was giving more trouble. had a rotator repair attempted but it failed to hold. Her only option was a total shoulder joint replacement. It was a success, but at the cost of even more strength in that arm. She still cans everything we can get, picks some stuff in the garden. But her pace is much slower and she is learning her limits. It has just caused me to pick up much more of the load. But she puts everything into it she has.
Biggest thing from the start has been that she hasn't given in and just adjusted what she does and how she does it. Best of luck to all that is dealing with issues of any kind.

Our circumstances are a little different. Wife had a bad car wreck 25 years ago and suffered a broken neck. After 3 years of therapy she eventually regain use of everything, but with a major loss of range of motion and limited hand and arm strength. Over the years she has figured out ways to do certain tasks. 5 years ago she started having a lot of arm and shoulder Dr did a rotator cuff repair. The next year still more pain and had to get a titanium cage put in her neck that fused C2 thru C7 in her neck. The original surgery fused C6 and C7. That helped a lot with the pain, but her other arm was giving more trouble. had a rotator repair attempted but it failed to hold. Her only option was a total shoulder joint replacement. It was a success, but at the cost of even more strength in that arm. She still cans everything we can get, picks some stuff in the garden. But her pace is much slower and she is learning her limits. It has just caused me to pick up much more of the load. But she puts everything into it she has.
Biggest thing from the start has been that she hasn't given in and just adjusted what she does and how she does it. Best of luck to all that is dealing with issues of any kind.

My syringo stemmed from a car accident. The syringo led to my brain stem compression. I was 17 at the time of the accident. The medics were shocked that I survived. I starred the window 3 times, dented the dash, and broke my seat. I was 100 lbs and 4’11”. I regret that I didn’t wear a seat belt. I’m glad your wife is getting better. Coming from an athletic background I can understand some of what your wife has gone through, and is going through.

@Star_Chick it is possible to run a farm with disabilities, but you will have to realise that you like our family will be far more mechanised than most households to cater for your particular condition. The secret as @Bacpacker has said is to recognise your limitations and find a way around them that works for you using aids and or lateral thinking. The most important thing is a can do attitude.

My husband was in a military accident where tank went through the vehicle he was in and he got popped out the top of the turret and went down a tank road and has a lot of injuries as a result (137 fractures and dislocations throughout his body). We work with far more machinery than most to get the tasks done than most other families. For instance DH can whipper snip with a backpack brush cutter but not a hand held one with handles due to his injuries and limited ability to swivel.

We are on a 1/2 acre here and run 200 square metres of vegetable gardens here which feed us all year round and DH and I work together.

It is possible to homestead with disabilities. As was mentioned, raised beds can be built around a method that would make it easy for you to work in them. Beds that are chair height with a path that is paved or has a material for you to walk easy on. I have very bad knees and I was gardening working in 16 different raised beds, harvesting and canning my produce. I did all my kitchen work sitting on a stool at the table. You can also plant in containers on your porch or deck and I see where many disabled people have done that. I used a chair in my garden and sat while weeding or harvesting and would just move it down the raised bed as I worked. I had an electric garden cart that did not take much effort to push and would put my tools and chair in that to move it. I usually had a huge harvest and canned all summer and fall and then in winter I canned locally bought meat. You can do whatever you set your mind to do.

I had a stroke in 2013 which paralyzed my Left side. I have recovered about 80% of my pre-stroke mobility. (My estimate) I still have not mastered my Left foot, which has betrayed me with drop foot syndrome. I sold my 60 acre farm in 2015, and now rent a 5 acre parcel with mobile home and barn and pasture for my small dairy goat herd. Some days, it's all I can do to feed and milk. This is what gets me going each day, though.

I had a stroke in 2013 which paralyzed my Left side. I have recovered about 80% of my pre-stroke mobility. (My estimate) I still have not mastered my Left foot, which has betrayed me with drop foot syndrome. I sold my 60 acre farm in 2015, and now rent a 5 acre parcel with mobile home and barn and pasture for my small dairy goat herd. Some days, it's all I can do to feed and milk. This is what gets me going each day, though.

That is my thinking too, it’s what gets me through. With home isolation I get super depressed. It’s made worse by not having Facebook, as a millennial it’s a rarity, and at times I feel a true disconnect.

I expect that depends on how badly you want it. My guess is that you will not be able to do everything that you want. I also expect that you can't do everything that you want right now. A positive attitude will be a great asset, but isn't that always true.

Eighty percent of all problems are system problems. In other words, if you can develop the right system then you can do much more.

:I agree: Hubby has a lot of metal in his back and he does things in small dose's. He has been in the bed most of last couple days from working on the van this month. And takes lots of breaks.
We have to take rest and have the tools and other handy contraptions to help with the projects.
Like no more climbing ladders once we got a scaffold. Had to save up for a few months to get it but it was well worth the money. We have a walker ,wheelchair and he always used his cane.:thumbs:

@Star_Chick it is possible to run a farm with disabilities, but you will have to realise that you like our family will be far more mechanised than most households to cater for your particular condition. The secret as @Bacpacker has said is to recognise your limitations and find a way around them that works for you using aids and or lateral thinking. The most important thing is a can do attitude.

My husband was in a military accident where tank went through the vehicle he was in and he got popped out the top of the turret and went down a tank road and has a lot of injuries as a result (137 fractures and dislocations throughout his body). We work with far more machinery than most to get the tasks done than most other families. For instance DH can whipper snip with a backpack brush cutter but not a hand held one with handles due to his injuries and limited ability to swivel.

We are on a 1/2 acre here and run 200 square metres of vegetable gardens here which feed us all year round and DH and I work together.

:great::huggs:

Zuma glad you got back so much of your use. :huggs::great:

That is my thinking too, it’s what gets me through. With home isolation I get super depressed. It’s made worse by not having Facebook, as a millennial it’s a rarity, and at times I feel a true disconnect.

So many of us have problems and sorry yours started so young. You seem to have a good attitude and that will get you far in whatever you take on in life. I get depressed here too seems we just live to work. Hope to get out more soon.

I'm glad you found thsi site it has so many great people on it so we are never alone.
:huggs:

I agree with what everyone has said. I spend most of my day in a wheelchair due to some major orthopedic issues with my legs. It does not stop me from working full time, working in my raised garden, canning, sewing, going to the range, visiting with friends, and enjoying life. Is it easy? No, but nothing worth having is ever easy. If you have a positive attitude and are creative, you can do almost anything! I am a firm believer that disability is a mental thing. Recognize and focus on what you can do, and then try to expand that. It's easy to spend time grieving for the things you can't do (I used to love dancing and long distance running, for example) and that can be depressing. I choose to not waste my time grieving, but rather finding new things to do that bring me joy. (I've also learned how to use my electric wheelchair to "dance" and boy, that is a lot of fun!) Good luck with your situation. Tell yourself your farm will be successful, and it will be! Lots of great people here on this board who are always willing to lend an ear, give advice, and keep you in prayer!
Diana

I agree with what everyone has said. I spend most of my day in a wheelchair due to some major orthopedic issues with my legs. It does not stop me from working full time, working in my raised garden, canning, sewing, going to the range, visiting with friends, and enjoying life. Is it easy? No, but nothing worth having is ever easy. If you have a positive attitude and are creative, you can do almost anything! I am a firm believer that disability is a mental thing. Recognize and focus on what you can do, and then try to expand that. It's easy to spend time grieving for the things you can't do (I used to love dancing and long distance running, for example) and that can be depressing. I choose to not waste my time grieving, but rather finding new things to do that bring me joy. (I've also learned how to use my electric wheelchair to "dance" and boy, that is a lot of fun!) Good luck with your situation. Tell yourself your farm will be successful, and it will be! Lots of great people here on this board who are always willing to lend an ear, give advice, and keep you in prayer!
Diana

Dr.P great post! I can relate to your dancing in a wheelchair:green man:. About 20 years ago we were at a club and I danced half the night with a guy in a wheelchair. We both had a ball. Hubby was busy talking and I wanted to dance and obviously so did the guy in the WC.

. :lil guy::huggs:

These people are having fun and who can argue with that?

Last edited:
Diana

I had to change a lot when I got sick. Today, for example, I’m having a severe autoimmune response. I know it will get better. I just have to rest for a day or two. I was in school for astrophysics before I got sick. It devastated me when I left school. I cried so much, and then I picked myself up and focused my attention on something else. I’m slowly learning to know my limits. In many ways I am blessed immensely. My health is only one tiny fraction of my life. I’m glad I found this site. Everyone is so wonderfully nice! Also, reading all these stories gives me hope. A lot of hope that I can do this! No, I know I can do this. Maybe, one day I’ll even finish my degree, but one step at a time. LOL

i have noticed since i retired that i don't seem to be able to sit or stand for any length of time. my back seems to be the culprit. but i am constantly working. when i have to sit down to rest my back i always have something that i can do. i refuse to give up and i refuse to let my life revolve around pain killers.

Latest posts

Back