How do you deal with uncooperative family members who refuse to see what's coming?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanrose

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So I've been seeing the signs of America's collapse for awhile but my husband keeps insisting no collapse is coming. I think he's in denial. The rest of my family is the same and it's a source of grief and stress because they're unprepared. I'm trying to do prepare basically on my own and I wondered if others dealt with uncooperative family members and how you handle it? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Yes I have. Brother in law , they are multi millionaires (I have shallow pockets) Showed him my food stash and other stuff , He said I know where i'm coming if something happens , I flat out told them you ain't coming here if your that cheep and can't spend a couple hundred on some supplies . One of my Wifes friends also . I don't share

The fact that your husband isn't a prepper is a problem. Don't worry about what your other family members think. Just keep at it. Other relatives that do not prep that have come to visit us have asked to see our preps. So I do show them. They are clear across the US, so there is no chance at all that they'd make it here if something happens. My Oregon sis and her husband were here recently, never prepped, and he said that they know where they're coming. I told him that there's no way he'd make it here. No way at all. Now they are prepping. My Florida sis is always welcome here, but no way would she make it, either. She started prepping last year, and has a decent stock up. It's fun to encourage her. Our California relatives think I'm a fruitcake, and I really don't care what they think. Our amish family and neighbors here always grow big gardens, raise their own meat, and put away food, so it's no big deal, it's normal.

Last week a big ice storm was headed to where my wife's family lives. We suggested the they pick up some extra food, water and a small propane heater and possibly a generator. Their house is all electric. They did nothing and their power went out for 36 hours. They didn't fill the propane tank for their BBQ.
These people will never see the value in having a few things put away for emergencies. That's their choice, and their problem.

Well then they are miserable for their 36 hrs and good you don't feel sorry for them. I personally enjoy being comfortable, so it's always worth doing the extra work.
Several years ago my bil walled over his fireplace so he could hand a huge screen TV. So now they can't heat or cook anything when the power goes out. And without a generator, they can't even watch their stupid TV.

So I've been seeing the signs of America's collapse for awhile but my husband keeps insisting no collapse is coming. I think he's in denial. The rest of my family is the same and it's a source of grief and stress because they're unprepared. I'm trying to do prepare basically on my own and I wondered if others dealt with uncooperative family members and how you handle it? I would appreciate any suggestions.
some people just refuse to see the signs, I am amazed that things havent crashed hard by now, the longer it stretches the harder it is going to snap. One suggestion is to make sure that when you prep, prep for you, food you like etc, being too nice just makes your life harder.

So I've been seeing the signs of America's collapse for awhile but my husband keeps insisting no collapse is coming. I think he's in denial. The rest of my family is the same and it's a source of grief and stress because they're unprepared. I'm trying to do prepare basically on my own and I wondered if others dealt with uncooperative family members and how you handle it? I would appreciate any suggestions.ew up

First, in part I agree with your husband. America isn't going to collapse. Egypt is still here. Greece is still here. Rome (Italy) is still here. America will still be here. IMHO it is not the America where we grew up, and lately, the changes have not been for the better, but it will still be here.

When I first started prepping my wife was not on board. Standing joke, this is Dad's (insert eyeroll) hobby. Over time she has come around. She will show me an article she read, and I say "I know. I have already done that." She will ask "Do we have ..." Yes, we have plenty of that. If you have a few close calls your husband will see that your prepping is a good idea. We survived a tornado that passed a couple of hundred yards from our house, and a flood that got close. We were well prepared.

My recommendations would be to get your finances in order, so you can't be evicted from your home, and the bank or credit card companies can't come repossessing your belongings. Continue prepping as you always have. Your husband will come around. Read him Aesop's fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper. What is that like 2500 years old? Pretty good indication of why you should prep. When you see disasters on television, and people are in really bad shape ask him "Do you want to be one of those? That is why we prep." As far as other family members are concerned, try to add some extra to your preps because you know someone will show up at the door who you cannot turn away. I have two SIL's who will show up, and there is no way my wife will turn them away. I don't know if my daughter and her family who are back East could make it to me, but they would never be turned away. So I factor ALL of them into my plans. I don't have three balnkets. I have ten. When I store water, I store enough for 10. Same for food.

Keep doing what you are doing, and don't beat yourself up over people who refuse help.

Yes I have. Brother in law , they are multi millionaires (I have shallow pockets) Showed him my food stash and other stuff , He said I know where i'm coming if something happens , I flat out told them you ain't coming here if your that cheep and can't spend a couple hundred on some supplies . One of my Wifes friends also . I don't share
They'll probably show up on your doorstep.

The fact that your husband isn't a prepper is a problem. Don't worry about what your other family members think. Just keep at it. Other relatives that do not prep that have come to visit us have asked to see our preps. So I do show them. They are clear across the US, so there is no chance at all that they'd make it here if something happens. My Oregon sis and her husband were here recently, never prepped, and he said that they know where they're coming. I told him that there's no way he'd make it here. No way at all. Now they are prepping. My Florida sis is always welcome here, but no way would she make it, either. She started prepping last year, and has a decent stock up. It's fun to encourage her. Our California relatives think I'm a fruitcake, and I really don't care what they think. Our amish family and neighbors here always grow big gardens, raise their own meat, and put away food, so it's no big deal, it's normal.
My husband is the one I've tried to get through to the most and he just ignores it. You are fortunate that your siblings listened to you. I've been working on my sis and she's now prepping.

You're lucky to be among Amish - they're known for their farms.

Last week a big ice storm was headed to where my wife's family lives. We suggested the they pick up some extra food, water and a small propane heater and possibly a generator. Their house is all electric. They did nothing and their power went out for 36 hours. They didn't fill the propane tank for their BBQ.
These people will never see the value in having a few things put away for emergencies. That's their choice, and their problem.
You'd think that being without heat would be a wakeup call. I just wonder how you reach someone like that. I haven't found the way yet.

some people just refuse to see the signs, I am amazed that things havent crashed hard by now, the longer it stretches the harder it is going to snap. One suggestion is to make sure that when you prep, prep for you, food you like etc, being too nice just makes your life harder.
Yes they do refuse to see the signs - and I wonder why, and how you can break through and reach them. It's so weird that we can see things and others cannot. Something doesn't make sense.

First, in part I agree with your husband. America isn't going to collapse. Egypt is still here. Greece is still here. Rome (Italy) is still here. America will still be here. IMHO it is not the America where we grew up, and lately, the changes have not been for the better, but it will still be here.

You need to google some history.

Start with:

• Sacking of Rome by the barbarian hordes (Goths and Vandals) - the modern use of the term Vandal gives you hint what the original vandals were like.
  • The Dark ages
  • Decline of the Ancient Egyptian Empire (which was gradual but also connected to a lot of violence, famine, enslavement and military misfortune)

In most cases, when empires fall they fall hard and do indeed collapse. They are often completely absent for decades or centuries after......then sometimes something completely new pops up in that location (and sometimes with the same name).

They are not so much "still here" but more back again in a greatly different form (with Egypt being a perfect example of that) - modern Egypt is a dysfunctional dump.

When I first started prepping my wife was not on board. Standing joke, this is Dad's (insert eyeroll) hobby. Over time she has come around. She will show me an article she read, and I say "I know. I have already done that." She will ask "Do we have ..." Yes, we have plenty of that. If you have a few close calls your husband will see that your prepping is a good idea. We survived a tornado that passed a couple of hundred yards from our house, and a flood that got close. We were well prepared.

My recommendations would be to get your finances in order, so you can't be evicted from your home, and the bank or credit card companies can't come repossessing your belongings. Continue prepping as you always have. Your husband will come around. Read him Aesop's fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper. What is that like 2500 years old? Pretty good indication of why you should prep. When you see disasters on television, and people are in really bad shape ask him "Do you want to be one of those? That is why we prep." As far as other family members are concerned, try to add some extra to your preps because you know someone will show up at the door who you cannot turn away. I have two SIL's who will show up, and there is no way my wife will turn them away. I don't know if my daughter and her family who are back East could make it to me, but they would never be turned away. So I factor ALL of them into my plans. I don't have three balnkets. I have ten. When I store water, I store enough for 10. Same for food.

Keep doing what you are doing, and don't beat yourself up over people who refuse help.
Very wise advice. You encouraged me.

You need to google some history.

Start with:

• Sacking of Rome by the barbarian hordes (Goths and Vandals) - the modern use of the term Vandal gives you hint what the original vandals were like.
  • The Dark ages
  • Decline of the Ancient Egyptian Empire (which was gradual but also connected to a lot of violence, famine, enslavement and military misfortune)

In most cases, when empires fall they fall hard and do indeed collapse. They are often completely absent for decades or centuries after......then sometimes something completely new pops up in that location (and sometimes with the same name).

They are not so much "still here" but more back again in a greatly different form (with Egypt being a perfect example of that) - modern Egypt is a dysfunctional dump.
Given your knowledge about history, do you have any thoughts on how the country will look in another year and how this is all going to play out?

Given your knowledge about history, do you have any thoughts on how the country will look in another year and how this is all going to play out?
One year is but a tick of a watch in the context of history.......

When people debate the question of whether we will experience a slow decline or a collapse, the correct answer is both.

Any person not afflicted with normalcy bias will assess that the West is in decline

On the question of exactly when the collapse will come, my crystal ball is no better than anyone elses.

That is the reason why the wisest in the survivalism community suggest people don't dwell on scenarios or doomsday predictions.

Just accept that:
  1. things will get worse (gradually and/or suddenly)
  2. you can improve your chances of surviving what will and also might happen
  3. time spent on excessive speculation about scenarios is wasted
  4. it is best to identify key survivalism capabilities and resources that are needed for almost all possible scenarios and get to work on prepping those
If you want to avoid difficult conversations with friends and relatives......and extreme problems during an actual crisis.....don't tell them about your views or prepping.

Never tell your neighbors about your prepping.

You won't convince people with Normalcy Bias to prep for themselves.....but like drowning people after a ship sinks, they can/will take you down with them.

Last edited:
So I've been seeing the signs of America's collapse for awhile but my husband keeps insisting no collapse is coming. I think he's in denial.
What signs?:dunno:
Even though I am prepared for the collapse of the American civilization, I am not ready to jump on the panic-wagon.
I too read the 'tea-leaves', the stock market will always be the first to stumble... like when Obummer strangled the country, they went into a nosedive quick.
Even dragging our current POS along, today the DOW and S&P500 hit historic high levels:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s-p-500-futures-rise-after-key-index-finished-at-record-high-dc5f0388?mod=mw_quote_news

What signs?:dunno:
Even dragging our current POS along, today the DOW and S&P500 hit historic high levels:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s-p-500-futures-rise-after-key-index-finished-at-record-high-dc5f0388?mod=mw_quote_news

crash_of_1929_2.jpg

Like 1929?

Ben

Last edited:
The only thing I can do with family members is to tell them hard times are coming and prepare for it the best you can. My thought is that I think things are going to get more and more difficult to come by and the prices are only going to get higher and higher. Right now, shipping prices are going up and up. Those prices are going to get passed down to the consumer. After seeing the chit show that happened before the 2020 election, I am going to make sure I won't be in line for TP before the 2024 election. A stocked pantry is something I have never regretted having.

The younger family members are easier to persuade, but they usually have less funds to deal with. The older family members that just live week to week are not worth my time. They know I stock up during sales and don't wait until the last minute to purchase something I need. I live too far from town for that kind of mentality. Plus, I enjoy cooking, gardening, camping, fishing, etc. so I already have most of those supplies. I love being in nature. So, I buy gear that makes life easier while I enjoy my hobbies.

For the kids, I buy gifts that would come in handy during hard times. I have given them grills, headlamps, hand warmers, blankets, fire extinguishers, etc. I'm a very practical gift giver. I also encourage them to get their finances in order and put some cash aside just in case. Nobody knows what the future holds, but stocking up on things that you will need in the future vs. going on vacation or eating out every week seems prudent to me.

So I've been seeing the signs of America's collapse for awhile but my husband keeps insisting no collapse is coming. I think he's in denial.
I would be interested to hear, specifically, about what signs you are seeing. I see problems in our country. Things that need to change. But I do not see imminent collapse.

I have preps. Enough for about 6 months. I don't prep for longer than that because I don't see the signs of collapse that you say people are in denial about. Nor would I want to live in a collapsed society for more than 6 months anyway - but that's a different discussion. Could you be specific on what you are talking about? Maybe just list half a dozen of these signs that you are referring to? Thanks!

The globalist are letting everything almost collapse so they can have everything collapse at the same time, then build back better with complete control.
Be ready to treat those friends and family as enemies, that's what they will be. If you don't it will be your demise and there's.

My wife and your husband would be a good fit. Her life is controlled by fear. She is afraid of me being right so I must be wrong. I have been taking care of Mom for over three years. In a week I'll be heading home for doctor visits. When I get home my preps will be in worse shape than the were the last visit home. She won't eat my preps and replace them. She buys what she wants to eat and puts them in the spare bedroom because my food is going to poison her. I gave her "One second After" when I finished it and that helped, for a bit. I saw something coming decades ago. Today I have a better idea what I've been prepping for. "You always say that but nothing ever happens." The store shelves don't count, nor does the inflation, etc. She doesn't want to see it, and there are none so blind as those who will not see.

After my second friend said he would just come to my house, I quit trying to wake people up. I keep quiet about my preps except with friends that agree with me or those on the other side of the continent. One friend thought it was hilarious to tell me he was coming to my house. While he is laughing he is telling me about telling other friends the same thing and their not thinking it funny. When he bothered to look up all he got was a stone face. He quit laughing but I doubt he ever figured out that he just told he that I was going to have to kill someone that I cared for. I couldn't explain why he had just said because I didn't want him coming in blazing or sitting outside waiting to pick me off. People are willfully ignorant. This guy in a Mormon so I know others have tried to wake him up.

Ok, I'll byte.
So what exactly would good news look like?
Stability?
3 years:
View attachment 123314
Since you are willing to bite I want to get pass this pattern.

If we do I will breathe easier with the markets.

But re: changes coming

The book " The Fourth Turning" is proving it's cycles are sound.

Beyond predicting a winter season a lack of trusts in institutions is in full force now. Can we name an institution that is trusted?

Ben

Latest posts

Back