How Many Musicians?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleJoe

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@Meerkat's thread about selling off some music gear got me thinking. How many musicians do we have here?

I've been playing guitar for 35 years. Now don't be fooled and think all that time has made me great at it though. :rolleyes: While the kids were growing up I didn't play much but picked it back up again when the last one went off to college. So there was a 20 year sabbatical. I also play a little mandolin, very little. :)

I have 12 guitars. Here are a few of them.

My very first guitar, an Epiphone I bought in 1983. Cost me $160, which was an entire weeks take-home pay for me at the time. It travelled with me when I was following the Grateful Dead through most of the 80's.

P1010647.JPG

A 1982 Alvarez 12-string I traded away my bicycle for in '85.

P1010644.JPG

A 2007 Martin.

P1010923.JPG

And the pride of my collection, a 1946 Epiphone Archtop model Broadway. One step down from their top of the line model at the time.

P1010808.JPG

There are 3 more Epiphone, 2 Alvarez, 1 Fender, 1 Eastman and a no-name that I bought cheap just because it had pretty wood. :)

So what kind of a band can we put together at this homestead? :lil guy:

I've been playing since I started band in the 5th grade. That was a few years ago. Sadly, I put my clarinet down when I left home. I made half hearted attempts at piano, guitar ,even trying a clarinet again. I didn't get serious about it until I sat down at my church's keyboard and taught myself how to chord in 1995. Before that I was singing on our worship team. I'm still playing in a back up and fill in position with keyboards and a computerized system that has every sound known to man. We just got it and I'm sure I'll be learning it until I can't walk to the stage to play anymore.
Our 2 boys can play anything they touch and my daughter can sing well (she doesn't think so.)

I've been playing since I started band in the 5th grade. That was a few years ago. Sadly, I put my clarinet down when I left home. I made half hearted attempts at piano, guitar ,even trying a clarinet again. I didn't get serious about it until I sat down at my church's keyboard and taught myself how to chord in 1995. Before that I was singing on our worship team. I'm still playing in a back up and fill in position with keyboards and a computerized system that has every sound known to man. We just got it and I'm sure I'll be learning it until I can't walk to the stage to play anymore.
Good for you! Keep it up!

I have a 66 key keyboard I picked up at an auction for $2.00. One of these days I may look into doing something with it. :rolleyes:

Banjo is totally different from anything else.

Ain't that the truth!

I was doing a fair Banjo , until I cut off my thumb, and ring finger, and pinky on my right hand,
That ended my Banjo playin..:(
But I never learned to play anything else.
Banjo is totally different from anything else.
Jim
Can't like that. I don't guess you could hold a bow for a fiddle very well. Drums! You could do percussion.

I did 4 years of flute back in middle school. I've played a bit off and on since then. I did buy a hammered dulcimer to try to learn, but lost the time to try to learn it. So ,my can play anything son in law , was given the dulcimer. I always wanted to be able to play "Ghost Riders in the Sky" on it. That stirs my blood.

Piano and violin. I can read music but I am not as good as I used to be, which isn't saying much.

Angie, I am listening on youtube to Johnny Cash's "Ghost Riders in the Sky." I haven't heard that since I was a little kid.
I never realized what the lyrics were.

Edited to say: Okay, wrong again on that song. I wasn't a little kid in 1979. Then what song was it that it reminded me of?

I have tried the recorder, trumpet, guitar, piano, harmonica, didgeridoo and more. I learned that someone steals the music from instruments and replaces it with the sound of squawking seagulls and fighting tomcats. I also have tried singing and my voice has been favourably compared to a bear in work boots walking in a gravel pit.

Undeterred I still sing and love to listen. Someone has to have the gift of audience and that’s me.

Piano and violin. I can read music but I am not as good as I used to be, which isn't saying much.

Angie, I am listening on youtube to Johnny Cash's "Ghost Riders in the Sky." I haven't heard that since I was a little kid.

Edited to say: Okay, wrong again on that song. I wasn't a little kid in 1979. Then what song was it that it reminded me of?
Ghost riders was written in the late 1940s and has been recorded by many artists. I love the tune even though it’s theologically incorrect.

Started piano in 2 nd grade through 12 th grade. Played flute and piccolo in marching band and concert for 6 years. Took violin for a few years but not enough time now. Play piano or organ at 3 churches per month. Not confident with organ as no formal training. Three keyboards to play on. So piano is what I have played for 53 years. Own a flute, clarinet, keyboard, violin and piano. Someday,,,,,,

Play the guitar. I can play good enough to hide amongst a few others playing. Can't read music so i play tabs. Wife on the others hand reads music and plays very well. She plays the clarinet, alto sax, base guitar, classical guitar, electric and acoustic, standup base, piano, violin a little and she is working on the fiddle. Trying to find one at a reasonable price is rather frustrating......

I read music, too, but not well enough to use sheet music. I use chord sheets and make up my own fill in or listen to the songs until I can play the part "by ear".

The original recording ...Burl Ives 1949

Jim

I had no idea.

When I think of Burl Ives the only thing that comes to mind is the story of Frosty the Snowman. :LOL:

I really like the Vaughn Monroe version as it seems to have a deeper pounding beat to it.

If you like a deeper pounding beat, try this one. I saw these guys in Philadelphia in '81.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back