How Many Musicians?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to add one more post. Up until 2015 a small community near here had a bluegrass festival every summer. I always went and picked all weekend. I’m not in this photo but important folks are. The man playing the banjo… He built a community center for his small community long ago. It was named the “Lawrence Mill Community Center”. One Saturday night a month it was called the “Lawrence Mill Opry”. Bluegrass bands came from all over the southeast and played.

The first time I ever played on a stage (banjo) was at the Lawrence Mill Opry. I was 9 years old. A man on the stage that night, and keeping me calm, is in this photo. He’s playing mandolin in the wheel chair on the far side of the photo. He passed away 3 years ago. Waylon was a great mandolin picker, taught me to play. I’ve always loved a mandolin, loved a guitar more but that’s the way things go.

sm Waylon.jpg

Played violin for years and stayed with the same teacher until she retired.

I have several musical instruments, everything from strings, woodwinds to percussion.

Gave my organ away to a young person who really wanted to learn how to play, hope she's still with it and learning lots.

I played percussion in high school then switched over to guitar later on. I was never great but could play a few songs fairly well and was getting better. Then I lost 20% of the function of my left hand in a face smashing incident (my hand, his face) and that was it with the guitar.

I played percussion in high school then switched over to guitar later on. I was never great but could play a few songs fairly well and was getting better. Then I lost 20% of the function of my left hand in a face smashing incident (my hand, his face) and that was it with the guitar.

Kinda hard to "like" that. :(

Kinda hard to "like" that. :(

It is what it is. Better than pushing up daisies or having to find a new career.
thumbup.gif

Plus I have a child who plays cello and another who plays piano. I enjoy watching them play more than I did playing myself.

Digging through old threads and found this one. I played the clarinet in h.s. I always wanted to take piano lessons, but we didn't have a piano. I practiced whenever I went to friends houses. I taught myself to play through the first two piano books that everyone learned to play from.

Latest posts

Back