how many of you have FIRED Fakebook?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you fired F a c e b o o k ?

• Yes

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
My wife has a facebook account. Which is fine because she is intelligent, not easily swayed and has a strong spirit of discernment. Her facebook activities include keeping up with family & friends, but mostly she peruses these for sale forums. She also sells off a lot of stuff (mostly hers and children's clothing). The exchanges always take place in the lobby of my police department. A few buyers and a sellers have refused to do so, that's what we in LE call a clue. As long as she does not forget about OPSEC I am not concerned with her limited and appropriate social media footprint. Like many things in this world, it's all in how and how often you use it.

My wife has a facebook account. Which is fine because she is intelligent, not easily swayed and has a strong spirit of discernment. Her facebook activities include keeping up with family & friends, but mostly she peruses these for sale forums. She also sells off a lot of stuff (mostly hers and children's clothing). The exchanges always take place in the lobby of my police department. A few buyers and a sellers have refused to do so, that's what we in LE call a clue. As long as she does not forget about OPSEC I am not concerned with her limited and appropriate social media footprint. Like many things in this world, it's all in how and how often you use it.

Thats is also true for youtube. :D It is actually all according to how you use any of it. We left fakebook a few years ago and don't miss it at all. Never learned anything from it like we do youtube. :cool:

I only still there so I can use it to push AgitProp against the prevailing liberal narratives.. because thats where so many people "live" I go there for that.

I signed up for a Facebook account when my Aunt was in the hospital so my cousins could keep me updated.
After a week or so I sent everyone a message and told them if they had anything they needed to tell me to give me a call.
I absolutely hate Facebook and everything about it.
My kids got my wife on it and she is addicted.
First thing every morning, several times a day and last thing at night she is checking.
She had people she never knew leaving her messages.
She now has it locked down to family.

Well I guess I have to be the dissenter here, I can’t disagree with anything people have pointed out but in this community (where I physically reside) and with my geographically spread family I find FB to be very useful. I dont post anything that wouldn’t be easily available or public knowledge but I like it.

I pulled the pin on FB when it came to light they are building a kid's FB for under 13's.

No way, NO HOW will I be part of a company that is building a pedo hunting ground for his sicko pizza gate mates.
I said as much in the "reasons for leaving" field they require you to fill out on your way out the gate.

I met a guy on FB playing poker. We became great friends, chatted all the time, and even had drunken heartfelt conversations that lasted all night.
He felt like a brother, we called each other all the time for support and stuff in life matters.
We were friends online and phone almost 8 years. God, the laughs we had!
When we met in person, I couldn't stand the SOB.
Ain't that something?

We don't use social media.

My granny always said don't do anything you'd be embarrassed to see on the big billboard in town. Well, folks, FB is one big billboard and the problem with it, unlike real billboards, is whatever you put out there is in perpetuity.

I'm on FB. I keep up with family & friends there mainly. I don't post what I'm doing, eating, etc. I buy/sell/trade on the Facebook groups. I homeschool & am in a lot of groups pertaining to homeschooling both state & local. It's a wonderful way to spread information quickly. I believe we stopped more than one piece of legislation that could've adversely effected homeschoolers because of how quickly we got the word out on Facebook. We use the groups to coordinate & spread info about classes, activities, coops, field trips, etc. It's an easy & fast way to get questions answered as well. I like buying locally & supporting the businesses of friends & other moms, FB makes that a lot easier. I don't spend much time on it.

One of my best friends I hardly hear from. She's too busy on the alternative news sites to be bothered with any of her family or friends. We only see her on holidays & then all she can talk about is politics, not a big hit with the 20 somethings. She sits at that stupid computer all day everyday & has basically checked out of real life. So many people spend hours every day staring at a screen wasting their life. It doesn't really matter whether it Facebook, games, YouTube, or news sites.

I am on FB for a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes in the evening, mostly to check notifications. I sure agree that some good websites/forums have gone away since it started. I have more in common with you all than I do with my family anyway! LOL I'll continue to spend time here!

Turns out to be just a ridiculous medium. I wanted to just contact old friends but it tracks you and does ignorant stuff you don't want. It takes an act of Congress to completely delete as well. I've since re joined but learned all The tricks. Silly you have to outsmart it to use it like you want to.

I used to be on FB when my son was younger but I've since deleted my account. At best, FB is a time vampire.

I pulled the pin on FB when it came to light they are building a kid's FB for under 13's.

No way, NO HOW will I be part of a company that is building a pedo hunting ground for his sicko pizza gate mates.
I said as much in the "reasons for leaving" field they require you to fill out on your way out the gate.

Just noticed this post... Yup... exactly... it's a breeding ground for a lot of CRAP.

Ya i dropped FB like a bad habit. Realized one day that out if the 200 friends i had on there that i maybe liked 2 of them. Thought to myself i don't see any of these people ever or want to for that matter so click and delete. Drama drama drama, i rather eat a bullet then ever log on there again.

Ya i dropped FB like a bad habit. Realized one day that out if the 200 friends i had on there that i maybe liked 2 of them. Thought to myself i don't see any of these people ever or want to for that matter so click and delete. Drama drama drama, i rather eat a bullet then ever log on there again.

Yeah at one time I had 75 friends. Whittled that down to 20. Got up to 45 or so with my market gardening friends. Then I got fed up with market gardening idiots and being banned from multiple groups. So I got rid of Facebook altogether.

Then I saw this forum in the homestead.org emails. Honestly homesteading and country living is what I want to do in the end. I enjoy learning about market gardening and think it'd be a good sideline to have but it's seriously over regulated right now and I'd do it with neighbors or as a private club not with the "general public" to kill off liability issues.

Yeah at one time I had 75 friends. Whittled that down to 20. Got up to 45 or so with my market gardening friends. Then I got fed up with market gardening idiots and being banned from multiple groups. So I got rid of Facebook altogether.

Then I saw this forum in the homestead.org emails. Honestly homesteading and country living is what I want to do in the end. I enjoy learning about market gardening and think it'd be a good sideline to have but it's seriously over regulated right now and I'd do it with neighbors or as a private club not with the "general public" to kill off liability issues.
I used it for my butchering business. Got way to many morons! Word of mouth keeps me with more than i want and i dont have to talk to the morons. But i can see how FB can help some people with getting more business.

I used it for my butchering business. Got way to many morons! Word of mouth keeps me with more than i want and i dont have to talk to the morons. But i can see how FB can help some people with getting more business.
I still think you can eliminate a good segment of the population that you DON'T want by not advertising on Facebook. Like low information obsessed idiots.

I still think you can eliminate a good segment of the population that you DON'T want by not advertising on Facebook. Like low information obsessed idiots.
I agree! That's why i use word of mouth. For the most part my customers only recommend me to like minded people so as to avoid irritating my last nerve. That and my responses to the idoits on FB most likely cost me business....

I agree! That's why i use word of mouth. For the most part my customers only recommend me to like minded people so as to avoid irritating my last nerve. That and my responses to the idoits on FB most likely cost me business....

They all can go shove it as far as I'm concerned. I could go apply as a butcher. A practical skill that seems to always be in demand and I'm only 15 miles away from the home of world famous skinless brats.

I signed up for it in the spring of 2005 when you had to have a .edu email address. Those were the good days. It was actually useful for connecting with classmates.
I finally deactivated my account last spring, after about 12 years.

Unfortunately I am finding things that I'm missing out on. Certain social groups that used to have their own forums have moved exclusively to Facebook, for one reason or another. If I ever have a kid, I'll probably need to get back on since it seems Facebook is heavily used for informal mass communication. Twitter and Instagram are very similar.

I signed up for it in the spring of 2005 when you had to have a .edu email address. Those were the good days. It was actually useful for connecting with classmates.
I finally deactivated my account last spring, after about 12 years.

Unfortunately I am finding things that I'm missing out on. Certain social groups that used to have their own forums have moved exclusively to Facebook, for one reason or another. If I ever have a kid, I'll probably need to get back on since it seems Facebook is heavily used for informal mass communication. Twitter and Instagram are very similar.
I have never once in my life posted a pic of my daughter on the internet and i never plan too! People post way to much personal info on the net and especially FB. We are having another daughter in a week or 2. The people that need to know do because i called them, on the phone. All the mouth breathers on facebook don't know and they don't need too. Plus and this is a huge reason i would never put pic of my kid on fb, fb is a predators play ground! My favorite thing to do when i sell something on craigslist is to go to facebook and look them up. Within 10 mins i can have their life story. I could use this information in a ton of bad ways. Or when they are posting from the islands on vacation i can go steal that nice new big screen they just got. I use it to know who i am about to do business with. Now that i don't have an account i get friends to look them up for me. People really need to think about what they are putting out there for the entire world (well except north Korea) to see.

Latest posts

Back