how many of you have FIRED Fakebook?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you fired F a c e b o o k ?

• Yes

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

skittles

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
How many of you have fired FB? I used to be fairly active on FB but I'm fed up with the crap they were pulling so I got off of there.

Nice to be able to keep track of friends/family without ever seeing them and oh just send them a "like" if you like their stupid picture but then the other side of the coin... when you see them you don't have anything to talk about because you've already seen it all.

Then FB gives their group admins too much power... piss an admin off and they block you from the group on the drop of a hat with absolutely no recourse other than messaging the admin. I used to be a member of a bunch of commercial gardening, planet jr seeders and cultivators, and two wheel walk behind tractors forums on there, but in the last year or so the quality of the discussion has gone way down, made it easy to finally pull the plug.

Then the presumptuous Zuck had the intelligence to say that FB was like a church and it became abundantly clear to me that FB was simply a hot wire right into the surveillance agencies, along with the total censorship of conservative christian views ... that was the last straw!

I'd rather spend my time on a GOOD homesteading & country living forum instead, although I do miss the commercial growing discussions. Homesteaders have A LOT to learn from commercial growers and I have learned a lot from them that I'd be glad to share if anyone wants to hear.

I like my privacy so I am writing under a truly anonymous username. I'm more than amenable to sharing information in private discussions though.

I dumped it years ago. Got tired of all the changes that had me having to redo my privacy settings. Then that last home page change was it. I dumped it.

I dumped it years ago. Got tired of all the changes that had me having to redo my privacy settings. Then that last home page change was it. I dumped it.
Glad to hear that and thanks for your comment! How many different forums do you post on? This one looks like it could be my go-to forum as I don't want to post on multiple forums unless the quality is very high.

Last edited:
@UncleJoe- When I was on there my personal profile was totally locked down... friends and family saw the same thing the public saw. I liked the groups to a point but Mr Zuck can take his lovely "church" and shove it where the sun don't shine.

I believe in the Bible as the word of God from beginning to end, Yashua was God incarnate, Saturday is the rightful Sabbath, the Tribulation is coming (and some aspects are already here), the burden is easy and the yoke is light if I'm living a Biblical life compared to all of those other fool religions out there, and the best thing we can do is to love and help others.

@Custos- sounds like we passed in the night, lol. I got my FB account in 2010 and dismissed it a couple months ago. Miss chatting so I'm on here.

I signed up for FB about 5 years ago. The first day FB listed all the people that should be my friends. A computer program is not going to tell me who should be my friends. My name was removed immediately and have not gone back. Friends are people you want to associate with and HCL has those people. Thanks for everyone that is a member of this forum and for the work that has been done to get it started.

So HAPPY to find a group of folks who are NOT on FB. That's the problem with FB. It's a insidious cancer that sucks everyone's time that's already on there. Lots of good people have migrated from some good forums to FB and now the former forums are completely dead, leaving new people who aren't on FB or get rejected from their groups twisting in the wind.

@UncleJoe I might be on here for 3 hours commenting on everything in sight but I ain't going to spend 24/7 on here because I've got more important stuff to do, like figuring out what's wrong with the world in the alt news and learning more about healthy living. I'm one of those folks who's got a google phd... spent 2 years learning sign making, two years on organic farming, biblical prophecy from a literal perspective and biblical Christianity is the current obsession. Once I am in a better place and have some $$ I've got a bunch of ideas to implement and I let everyone else do the failures- many of them anyway!

I had a facebook account many years ago when it was what social media should be, a medium to keep in touch with distant family and friends. When you logged in once or even maybe twice a week just to keep updated. Then it started becoming this ridiculous life journal where everyone's thoughts, lunches, activities, etc. were on display and their self esteem became intertwined with how many people liked their posts. I walked away and have never experienced a single second of regret. Since then it has fallen even further into the abyss and has become an easy way for criminals to gain access into your lives, for social justice engineers to push their agendas (with support from FB), for low information voters (and low information people) to be brainwashed, for bullies to target the weak and for the weak to pretend they aren't, for pedophiles to watch children and rapists to select potential victims, for OPSEC to be violated over and over and people to compare their lives to the lives of others. I don't need any of that in my life.

Now, I will admit that my department does have a FB account. Actually a few of them. One for the Department itself and several that are fictitious characters we created with an extensive background and numerous images that would withstand normal vetting practices. Those "people" also have Twitter, Instagram, etc. And they all have hundreds and hundreds of friends and several different people who post on the accounts to keep them alive and active. We have arrested many people because of those accounts for crimes ranging for the sale and distribution to drugs, to robberies and burglaries, to assaults and rapes and even a number of pedophiles who thought they were grooming their next victims. They amount of dark and dangerous people on FB is scary to say the least.

@Sentry18 I miss the "old days" of the internet... when you could trust most anybody you met online and could find random peeps far far away with lots of things in common with you, all talking under random usernames and 95-99% text only. If you wanted to move it to the next level you had to PM the person and set things up over email or the phone to eventually meet. I actually met several people that way and wrote usps letters to a couple people for awhile. Mind you this was back in 1995-2000.

Now it's pictures pictures pictures and absolutely no consideration given for OSPEC on anyone's part, and a good 75% of the people on social media I could find their home address in about 90 seconds. If I wanted to dig a little deeper I could easily figure out if they've got firearms, if they've got any valuables worth stealing, and when they're home and when they're away. REALLY?

I've found pictures of my wife and myself on Google Images that came off Facebook. I delete everything I can that was related to my old username that I used to be internet-wide with, now I use randomized usernames for each site.

If you follow me and read everything I post you might be able to figure out who I am but I'm NOT going to make it "click my username and thou shalt know" easy.

I used to enjoy going to FB, but really only to play poker. I met some funny people on FB that I used to post back and forth with, but I never used it to post my freakin' dinner, or my daily activities; tying shoes etc.
I didn't fire facebook, I guess they fired me.
One day I got an email questioning my identity, and they want me to prove that my first name was really BBQ.:confused:
Being as I couldn't show them a driver's license or birth certificate proving that, they locked my acct, and my many millions in fake chips.

@BBQJoe Yeah jumped through those hoops a couple times got tired of their crap on that side too. Don't they know that anonymous usernames are the best part of the 'net?

If you want to know who I am then message me. If you live close enough to visit and you sound interesting enough then we can pow wow in person but if you live in Maine and I live in the Midwest I don't think it's any of your business.

I spend 18-20 days a month away from home. FB kind of serves as another link to to all my friends and family while I'm gone. Also in my job, co-workers are from all over the nation and a couple even live in Mexico, and we move in and out of different work groups and locations all the time. FB lets me keep up with the friends I make at work. I do agree that much of what you see on FB is annoying but its easy to unfollow whatever you don't want to see.

I have an account there but I only stop in once or twice a month.

I don't understand why people would want to post their day to day lives for the whole world to see.

Same with me. The only reason I have a page is to keep tabs on a few family members but I almost never post.

Have FB accounts, some real, some fake. I almost never post, just view the stuff that pops up. It is fun, in a reptile sort of way, to watch people post to a fake account and a fake person. Except for promoting a business, I think it is a waste of time. The limited entertainment factor is not worth the time to log on.

I used to have an account but got tired of all the "fakeness" that people post about. Nobodies life is as perfect as most Facebook people pretend theirs is. Then it seemed as if it was all advertisements.

@Terri9630 I could have a FB account for that but if they wanted to share in person they're more than welcome to. As it is they won't bother.
I'm not bothered with most of my family, they gave me away as a child. I use it to keep tabs on MY kids. Kids are way too trusting and even though my oldest is an adult, I'm paranoid. Kinda comes with being married to a LEO.

I too saw many great chat boards dry up and blow away when FB came out.
To me FB could never be as good as a forum.

EXACTLY!!!!! People don't REALIZE... a board like this is open to the public, controlled by a reasonably small business, and is not subject to multi-national control. If I got blocked from here tomorrow, I can still read the board... but if I get blocked from a Facebook group, I'm never allowed back in unless I change my username and that's no small matter on Facebook, and a big loss to me as well.

People need to reconsider what they're doing in Facebook groups because it's NOT good at all! They're great for buy/sell/trade in your local area and for political organization, etc. but they were never meant to be a source of legacy information. I still don't want it for buy/sell/trade or political info though, that's what Craigslist is for.

Ain't that the truth! My one brother is on FB almost all day telling everyone where he is and what he's doing. :confused:
I have 2 daughters that do that! Why! Who really cares? They just take turns showing off or lying!
I had a face book account several years ago and it almost cost me my marriage. And I only had the account for 18 hours before I got out. So, yeah, don't like Facebook.

Latest posts

Back