How Much Thought Have You Put Into Your Flashlights?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have, in fact that is what hunny likes to use when we are feeding at dark times. I usually have my hair pulled pull in a claw so they are not comfortable to me. His has a band that fits around and also one that goes on top of his head. I'm sure they do make them that are adjustable as a headband type or at least I think they should. I tend to work with what I have on hand. I do borrow his when I have to work on the underside of my sewing machine though.

the remarks about the 1800 made me chuckle, there was a power cut somewhere in the south east of England and some guy said to the tv reporter" its like living in the middle ages", no its not you dumb smuck-its a couple of hours without power.
wait until its SHTF for real these people are in for one big shock.

There is a mega difference between prepping for local disaster AND for when social order bugs out permanently. I don't spend any time considering what my flashlight can do, I only care that they light. That is because I don't plan on them being viable for long after the SHTF or WROL or TEOTWAWKI hits. All batteries will eventually give up the ghost. Bulbs break, lens break, switches break, housings break. Flashlight are for short term events, not for the big one. Better to learn how to make candles verses learning what a type or brand of flashlights can do. On / off, that is enough for me. I don't plan to build them, so I will NOT spend my time learning about them. I will develop a skill set that will be needed down the road. Now there is nothing wrong with enjoying flashlights, collecting them or being addicted to them but they are not the end all. They are just a temporary tool to handle small temporary problems. Tech is cool until tech stops working. Like Keith, BigPaul and many others, I plan for when there is no cool tech still working. JM2C

I have, in fact that is what hunny likes to use when we are feeding at dark times. I usually have my hair pulled pull in a claw so they are not comfortable to me. His has a band that fits around and also one that goes on top of his head. I'm sure they do make them that are adjustable as a headband type or at least I think they should. I tend to work with what I have on hand. I do borrow his when I have to work on the underside of my sewing machine though.

You can definitely get headlamps with adjustable elastic headbands. https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/CLASSIC-headlamps/TIKKINA
Similar but cheaper ones are available at Walmart. I remember my brother had one with an option for a red light as well which was great for maintaining night vision while still having enough light to see.

There is a mega difference between prepping for local disaster AND for when social order bugs out permanently. I don't spend any time considering what my flashlight can do, I only care that they light. That is because I don't plan on them being viable for long after the SHTF or WROL or TEOTWAWKI hits. All batteries will eventually give up the ghost. Bulbs break, lens break, switches break, housings break. Flashlight are for short term events, not for the big one. Better to learn how to make candles verses learning what a type or brand of flashlights can do. On / off, that is enough for me. I don't plan to build them, so I will NOT spend my time learning about them. I will develop a skill set that will be needed down the road. Now there is nothing wrong with enjoying flashlights, collecting them or being addicted to them but they are not the end all. They are just a temporary tool to handle small temporary problems. Tech is cool until tech stops working. Like Keith, BigPaul and many others, I plan for when there is no cool tech still working. JM2C
like I have said before on many forums, use tech to get to a place where it is no longer available or no longer works and you can live without it.

With proper care a quality flashlight should last 20-30 years or more. I have a Mag Light that I found in the road about 30 years ago. It's packed away somewhere but it was still working fine when I packed it. I think it takes D batteries.
Would rechargable batteries and an AC/solar charger be the way to go for long term use? How many charges can you expect to get from rechargable batteries?
Since this thread came out I started evaluating my flashlight needs. During summer I almost never need a flashlight because I usually go to bed when it's dark. In winter I do use one occasonally around the house and barn and when I have to check on the pump house. In cold weather I may make several trips a night down to the pump house to check the temp.
Earlier this winter I got stuck in the road and had to walk home in the dark without a flashlight. That was a wake up call that I need to get serious about putting a flashlight in each vehicle and in my EDC bags.

With proper care a quality flashlight should last 20-30 years or more. I have a Mag Light that I found in the road about 30 years ago. It's packed away somewhere but it was still working fine when I packed it. I think it takes D batteries.
Would rechargable batteries and an AC/solar charger be the way to go for long term use? How many charges can you expect to get from rechargable batteries?
Since this thread came out I started evaluating my flashlight needs. During summer I almost never need a flashlight because I usually go to bed when it's dark. In winter I do use one occasonally around the house and barn and when I have to check on the pump house. In cold weather I may make several trips a night down to the pump house to check the temp.
Earlier this winter I got stuck in the road and had to walk home in the dark without a flashlight. That was a wake up call that I need to get serious about putting a flashlight in each vehicle and in my EDC bags.

Honestly with the amazing technology out today, Maglites are now better used as a baton. There are a ton of lights that are keychain size that put out five times the amount of light of even the 6-cell Maglite. If you do choose to use it I would recommend sitting the batteries beside it instead of inside. Alkalines can corrode over time and ruin your light. I have lost several great Maglites over the year to this. My recommendation is check out sites like batteryjunction or goinggear for a light to suit your need. They also sell solar chargers and rechargeable batteries. Quality lights made by Surefire, Olight, Fenix, Nitecore, Jetbeam, Eagletac or Klarus will last you a lifetime and the batteries can be purchased in bulk for great prices on those same sites. The great thing about the CR123 lithium batteries is the incredibly long shelf life. I just pulled an old Huntlight out of a responder bag that I haven't opened since 2008 and it lit up just as bright as ten years ago. Even for lithiums I was shocked at this. No way a light with alkalines would have lasted that long without corroding and ruining the light.

I have a USB charger that works with both the 18650 (for the SK98) and the 14500 (for the SK68)

Anwhere I can charge a phone I can charge the batteries. Including my solar USB battery pack.

This is a perfect example of why I'm really glad I stumbled across this forum. I have been looking at flashlights to add to my BOB and the home stash, and most of the lights I am finding on Amazon at this point (because I am a big Amazon shopper) are run on rechargeable batteries. I was unaware that I could get a solar battery pack to recharge items like that. It just wasn't anything that I had ever thought of before. (Yes, I still have a long way to go.)

This is a perfect example of why I'm really glad I stumbled across this forum. I have been looking at flashlights to add to my BOB and the home stash, and most of the lights I am finding on Amazon at this point (because I am a big Amazon shopper) are run on rechargeable batteries. I was unaware that I could get a solar battery pack to recharge items like that. It just wasn't anything that I had ever thought of before. (Yes, I still have a long way to go.)

Yes, you can get solar chargers from way cheap (Harbor Freight) all the way to pretty expensive. We got a Goal Zero Nomad,

https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-No...41355&s=gateway&sprefix=Goal+z,aps,168&sr=8-3

and it works great. Not cheap, but compact. It was raining right after we got it, so I took it outside and my phone started charging...

I got sucked into reading this thread so I'll make a comment since I use a torch every day and night nearly. I use the bright headlight torches, I have 4 or 5 around the place and one in the car. I slip them on my head at night when I go out into the yard to kill cane toads or the water the chilli bushes. They make it like daylight and are always pointing exactly where I want to look. My latest ones have 4 settings and the last is a UV light, very useful for spotting living things.

In the daytime under the house in the garage, or outside working under a car or in an engine bay I find the headlight torch invaluable, especially since I'm over 60 and the eyesight isn't as good as it once was. My brother was a Dinosaur, a BIG fan of those old Dolphin torches that float in the water, but he never went near the water. Everytime you picked one up it would be flat! And the LED ones were just as bad. I'd follow him around sometimes up on the property and he was always juggling the torch and a beer and whatever else needed to be carried. It turned me off handheld torched forever.

While we are on the subject of headlamps (which to me are distinct from flashlights)...
My contractor brother in law gave me a Milwaukeetool Redlithium rechargeable headlamp a few Christmases ago. It has a monstrous cylindrical rechargeable lithium battery. The headlamp itself has a micro usb port for charging the battery. It is an all-day light.
It is really made for a hard hat with clips to secure it to the hard hat, but works just fine on a cap or bare head.
My main use for it is tracking deer, for which it works great. For most applications it is actually a bit overkill.
Screenshot_20240324-110854_Brave.jpg

I have about 10 different sizes and types of flashlights, half are re-chargeable and one I can re-charge with a palm sized solar panel. All but one are COB ( chip on board) and one is hand-crank chargeable or with USB. My head-lamp is just about like yours Doc.

I have several LED flashlights, 2 larger ones, 4 smaller ones, and I also have a Maglite 6 Cell, a rather old analog rod lamp. The only reason I still have it is because you can still use it as a Baton if necessary. 💀

I know that the Cops here don't like this lamp at all for this reason and you always run the risk that the Cops can take it away from you.
Anyway, if they take it away from me I'll just buy another one and fill it with concrete, it does the job.

Apart from that I don't care much about flashlights, I always prefer to go out at night without lights, it's always interesting to sneak up on people without them noticing you.
If need be, I still have a few boxes of gasoline carburetor lamps from army stocks, they are EMP protected.

My wife is kind of a flashlight junkie. Dozens of battery powered. Bought a lantern/light kit that works off my power tool batteries. They work well with a power outage. She bought a couple of rechargeable flip up light bar at HF it works well to see in a cubby where we have racks, plus it fits in the broom holder.

I am seeing the time for the battery powered Maglight clone to go be the wayside. I use it to find the dogs when the don’t come right back in.

This one caught my eye the other day.

I broke down and bought this light. Only $30 though. It was everything in the review.
The thing I was disappointed in was the focus. It wasn’t as small at a distance that I wanted.
But it did light up a really wide area brightly

I always carry a flashlight. I've grown fond of Thrunite Ti2 single AAA battery powered.
1716127498908.png

I've never had one of these fail.

There's newer and brighter models available https://thrunite.com/ but that one has proven itself and isn't too hard on the battery, but it does get hot with extended use and a top quality battery needs to be used. I use Interstate batteries.

Now where's the weapon light thread?

I think all of mine will fit on one shelf lol. I'm not list all my barn, shop, stable and house flashlights, I'll only list my preps flashlights, the important ones :)

1-Led Lenser LL7438 LED Light
1-LedLenser P6 8606 Light
2-Dorcy 41-2510 LED Flashlight
3-Coast G10
3-UltraFire 300lm mini
2-Streamlight 66118 Stylus Pro
2-Streamlight 66318 MicroStream
1-SureFire R1 Lawman
2-Fenix E01
3-Led Lenser P5R 165955
3-SureFire G2XLE
3-SureFire Defender
And I thought I went nuts on flashlights! :eek:
Which do you like better, battery, rechargeable, or binary (recharges cells) I don't see a solar version there, get one!

First off I admit....I am a flashaholic. However, the majority of my lights have specific purposes such as Kelvin level, overall brightness, throw/distance, flood, battery capability etc. so they all have unique needs and purposes. Who else places a lot of thought into your flashlights? View attachment 138545 View attachment 138546 View attachment 138547
First off I admit....I am a flashaholic.

My first thought when I saw all of those flashlights was Damn that's a lot of flashlights. Then I started counting how many I have & I'm a flashaholic too! I've got 3 by every door (3 doors), And I have probably 5 more in drawers & a couple in the garage & that's just on the first floor. Upstairs there has to be 3 or 4. A few work lights in the garage. We even have a battery case full of batteries on our kitchen count. Wow, is there a treatment group for this?

You could put me in the flashaholic category as well. We have dozens eveywhere in the house, and several varieties. We have lanterns, work rlated utility lights, regular flashlights, headlamps. Some are rechargeable, some use batteries. We have a Battery Daddy storage box, which I highly recommend. Everything is in one place, and it comes with a tester so you can differ good from bad. No more rummaging through drawers.

I carry three flashlights with me at all times; one on my keyring, and one flashlight and one headlamp in my EDC bag. I have an Olight on my keychain which is rechargeable, but I don't know if that model is available any more. Seems like the new models use a single AAA battery. Mine has two settings, low and high, and the high setting is 90 lumens. Very handy, and has saved me many times in dark parking lots. I keep at least two others in my car. These are stronger with higher lumen output.

One thing that I do with flashlights I keep in storage is reverse the batteries, so they can't be turned on accidentally. Not only does this save battery life, but it also prevents the batteries from leaking and ruining the flashlight.

We also keep a significant supply, maybe two dozen or more, of less expensive flashlights for barter. They don't take up much space, and we keep them with other barter items. Who knows?

My most recent purchase. They work okay. Very bright, very broad beam. Lots of settings.

What I would like is a bright, rechargeable light with just an on/off switch. It's annoying to turn it on (high) then to shut it off go to low power then flashing then off.

I mainly want a small flashlight with enough power to turn the night into day when there's a d*** bear outside destroying my property. Something I can hold in my hand while I work the slide on the shotgun.

Screenshot_20240529-060616.png

get yaself a miners light or a coon hunting light...lots of choices..i like nite light brand. many come with reostat on them to control brightness.

I have several between flashlights and headlamps. I have went from surefire and streamlight, to almost exclusively OLight. They make a wide range tobfit most any need. Rechargeable and battery pack or cell that replaceable.
Still need to upgrade my headlights
You need to upgrade your headlight because technology has really improved in just the last few years.
I have a really bright headlight if I am out and about in the dark. A wide super-bright light. Hands-free rulz!
80920-mosh.gif

We have lots of flashlights that never get used, even when a hurricane blows out the power.
We found that you need to light to light up the room, not just the tabletop.
We graduated to these:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/led-bulbs-that-dont-need-electricity-to-work-oh-yeah.13959/post-392262
Keeping them charged requires zero effort, just use your table lamp as usual.:lightbulb:

First off I admit....I am a flashaholic. However, the majority of my lights have specific purposes such as Kelvin level, overall brightness, throw/distance, flood, battery capability etc. so they all have unique needs and purposes. Who else places a lot of thought into your flashlights? View attachment 138545 View attachment 138546 View attachment 138547
I have always been a big fan of flashlights and keep some in many locations, but my collection doesn't look anything like this one! I do like the one that is on my cell phone. It helps when I am walking somewhere in the dark, and also helps me to find a hand held flashlight.

You need to upgrade your headlight because technology has really improved in just the last few years.
I have a really bright headlight if I am out and about in the dark. A wide super-bright light. Hands-free rulz!
80920-mosh.gif

We have lots of flashlights that never get used, even when a hurricane blows out the power.
We found that you need to light to light up the room, not just the tabletop.
We graduated to these:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/led-bulbs-that-dont-need-electricity-to-work-oh-yeah.13959/post-392262
Keeping them charged requires zero effort, just use your table lamp as usual.:lightbulb:
I have several headlights in GHBs, around the house, vehicles. Always used them backpacking. I think most are Peter or Black Diamond brand.
But they are all 3aaa types. And only a few are LED. I'm sure there are many better now.

For the last 5ish years..since way before c-19 i had gotten a hyper tough led lithium headlamp...its super bright and last a very long time..especially for its size...its not a coonhunting light mind you..bet its been best headlamp across the board i have ever owned..charges with usb and no fiddling with batteries..sad thing is awhile ago..i wanted more...not available..i want exact one i have..newer version are out so that will be it i guess.

In my experience Olight is like a man wearing a thick jacket in Kandahar. Seems suspicious, might work some of the time but will definitely explode if antagonized.

I have some Streamlights and a lot of Surefires. I don't skimp on lights for the same reason I don't date woman with Adam's apples; I don't want any surprises.

Well ****. My brain went straight to weapon lights not flashlights when I made that ^ post.

Never touched an Olight flashlight or headlamp, but I do have a few Fenix flashlights that I use along side my Streamlights and Surefires. One of them produces something like 18,000 lumens. Really lights up the property at night.

Back