How much TP do you need?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have studied the TP Consumption Issue. The most efficient way to reduce usage is to reduce production of the substance tp is intended to collect.
That works for men and women, but women have some other stuff that they have less control over. You can shake it off, women, not as easily. And other stuff. That time of the month requires more t.p. You know what I mean, without going into graphic detail.

i have some phone books that never been used.I saved them for the same reason.just in case their needed.but never tried one page yet.
Another reason I have saved phone books is to access addresses for people. A lot of times those addresses can be difficult to find online without some type of subscription. Plus, it's just a whole lot easier flipping through a book to find an address. Sometimes we might need an address of someone's parents who are no longer alive. Those addresses are still in the old phone books. Although, I doubt many of the phone numbers on there would be valid anymore. However, the yellow pages are still helpful at times as well. There's also some really valuable information in the first few pages of the phone book if you look. There's local political info, county office info, school info, post office info, etc.

I was just doing a little investigation and found that the leaves of the plant called Buttonweed, or Velvetleaf, is safe to use for TP. It grows wild all over my area in the summer. Farmer's hate it with a passion. I may experiment with it next summer, just for future reference. I've got a little over a years worth of TP at current usage levels so I'm in no hurry to try using alternatives...

I was just doing a little investigation and found that the leaves of the plant called Buttonweed, or Velvetleaf, is safe to use for TP. It grows wild all over my area in the summer. Farmer's hate it with a passion. I may experiment with it next summer, just for future reference. I've got a little over a years worth of TP at current usage levels so I'm in no hurry to try using alternatives...
I looked at images of Buttonweed and Velvetleaf. The leaves are not very wide, more linear. It might require some weaving of the leaves to be able to use it without having to wash your hands to remove what the leaves don't get. Of course we wash our hands no matter what happens.

Last edited:
People used alot of alternatives when there were outhouses. Indoor plumbing isn't going to flush leaves and magazines
Maybe outhouses are poised for a comeback?😁

I looked at images of Buttonweed and Velvetleaf. The leaves are not very wide. more linear. It might require some weaving of the leaves to be able to use it without having to wash your hands to remove what the leaves don't get. Of course we wash our hands no matter what happens.

Velvetleaf here grows pretty wide. The plants get 5-6 feet high and the leaves on the big plants are about as wide as a sheet of TP at their widest point. Of course they taper to a point so they don't have a lot of useable space, but they'd do...

Velvetleaf here grows pretty wide. The plants get 5-6 feet high and the leaves on the big plants are about as wide as a sheet of TP at their widest point. Of course they taper to a point so they don't have a lot of useable space, but they'd do...
Oops reply fail, tried to get fancy and reply to two messages in one post, and I screwed it up. Lol

That is great! I saw that it grows in almost every state. Knowing where to find it would be important. Probably can't pick it too far in advance or it would dry out. I will spare us all the possible outcomes of that!

That is great! I saw that it grows in almost every state. Knowing where to find it would be important. Probably can't pick it too far in advance or it would dry out. I will spare us all the possible outcomes of that!
Also be aware that it is a major problem for farmers and they will spray every pesticide they can get their hands on, onto buttonweeds. 2,4D is pretty effective at killing it. If you've got any questions about what might be sprayed on it, probably best to leave it alone. 2,4D kills it pretty quick, so it'll probably be obvious if it's been sprayed, but You probably don't want to wipe any nasty chemicals onto your tush...

I have put many phone books that I was not using in with my preparedness items in the basement. I have a good amount of them and sometimes questioned myself, if this would ever be a necessity. I know they would work, but are not preferable to tp. I have often thought I would never have the need to use them. Maybe that will change.

I have never used a page from a phone book or catalog but have read about using them. If you use a page from the phone book, from what I've read, you take the page and wad it up, open it back up, and wad it up again a few times. This softens the page up. I think I should try softening up a page, just for the sake of experimentation. I won't be using it, just seeing how well that really works. I also wonder if getting a page wet and letting it dry in advance would soften it up or make it crisper? Anyone else have some phone books stashed or available for the next level?

What we did was scrub the pages together to soften them up.We always had catalogs in our outhouse in case us 10 kids 'us and cousins'used all the TP.

Disposable TP is just a convenience. One could make reusable TP just like reusable cloth diapers, only thinner. Hem some patches of cotton fabric using whatever dimensions you feel is right for your family. After wiping, just "rinse" the cloth in a second flush just like you would to a soiled cloth diaper. Then, toss the cloth in a diaper pail that contains a bleach/water mixture. When the pail is full, wash the TP cloths in the washing machine.

If you want to use a plant for TP, use mullein. It has large velvety leaves and has been used as TP for centuries.

What we did was scrub the pages together to soften them up.We always had catalogs in our outhouse in case us 10 kids 'us and cousins'used all the TP.
Back on the hill farm, my folks saved the Montgomery Wards and Sears catalogs. Brother Sheridan expressed no preference, but advised you had to skip by the first few pages , because they were slick.

Back on the hill farm, my folks saved the Montgomery Wards and Sears catalogs. Brother Sheridan expressed no preference, but advised you had to skip by the first few pages , because they were slick.

We had Sears and Roebuck and JC Penny. We bought my first donkey out of Sears Catalog,mama went to train station to pick them up,they came in from Mexico and called burrros.Named them Katy,Pete and Penny

Disposable TP is just a convenience. One could make reusable TP just like reusable cloth diapers, only thinner. Hem some patches of cotton fabric using whatever dimensions you feel is right for your family. After wiping, just "rinse" the cloth in a second flush just like you would to a soiled cloth diaper. Then, toss the cloth in a diaper pail that contains a bleach/water mixture. When the pail is full, wash the TP cloths in the washing machine.

If you want to use a plant for TP, use mullein. It has large velvety leaves and has been used as TP for centuries.
I've heard of mullein for TP and also a plant called Lamb's ear, but I've never seen Lamb's ear. Mullein can be found here and there but I don't notice a lot of it around here...

I've heard of mullein for TP and also a plant called Lamb's ear, but I've never seen Lamb's ear. Mullein can be found here and there but I don't notice a lot of it around here...
We have tons of mullein growing in our area. It seems to grow mostly in disturbed areas or in areas of nutrient-poor, sandy soils.

Sears also used to sell squirrel monkeys. I loved reading through that catalog and dreaming......

Really I didn't see any of those. I guess Seaars sold lots of things. We liked turning the pages and dreaming too.

Got some of those flannel wipes made.
Letting the mullein that grows in the yard grow, for just this reason. I hope I never need it.

Co

me to think of it, they probably sold everything but toilet paper. THATS why they’re still not around!

Toots why is it everytime I see your avatar I want to sing , Toot Toot Tootsie goodbye ,Toot Toot Tootsie don't cry?

Latest posts

Back