How often do you clean your gums?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQJoe

Void where prohibitied
Neighbor
Or, how do you plan on dealing with dental hygiene, or more importantly, dental emergencies whilst you are locked in your bunker, awaiting the ok to return to the surface?
Anyone can come down with a broken crown, painful cavity, or worse, an abscessed tooth ay any time.
What's your plan?

From the net… “Plantago is a genus of about 200 species of small, inconspicuous plants commonly called plantains or fleaworts. The common name plantain is shared with the unrelated cooking plantain, a kind of banana”

There is a dozen or so species of plantain growing wild in the US.

Plantain is an amazing plant. It can pull or draw out venom from our bodies. I used it when I was bitten by a brown recluse spider. In three days I could no longer see where the spider bit me.

It can also draw out infection. When chewed up and held like a wad of tobacco over a tooth abscess… It will draw out all of the infection. It won’t cure what caused the abscess but it will buy you lots of time to figure out what you need to do.

Funny thing that always gets a laugh in my plant classes… Most of us here are older… We’ve all heard of “Metamucil”. If you look at the label of a bottle of Metamucil you will see… Psyllium fiber capsules.

If you google “Psyllium” you will find it is a name of a plant in India, Plantago psyllium, yes, another plantain. Other medicinal qualities of the plantago’s... They will sooth the G/I tract, will help lower cholesterol, lower A1C levels for folks with type 2 diabetes.

The are 4 species of small trees that grow east of the great plains. The one most common where I live… Aralia spinosa aka Devil’s Walking Stick and Tooth Ache tree.

The inner bark will numb your mouth up just like a shot of Novocain. A couple of times I’ve had people in my class willing to give it a try. It will numb your cheeks, tongue and gums, just a powerful as any shot the dentist might give you. It's always funny to hear someone speak with a completely numb mouth. It lasts about 20 minutes.

The other tooth ache trees are Zanthoxylum clava-herculis, Zanthoxylum hirsutum, and Zanthoxylum fagara aka Prickly Ash. Its also thorny but nothing like the devil’s walking stick.

Prickly Ash has too many other medicinal uses to list here. I will say it’s a good tree to know, in my top 10 list for medicine.

Although I’ve never read of this use… I’m pretty sure the tooth ache trees could be used for a Tonsillectomy or other minor esophagus surgeries.

Last edited:
Peanut. I just finished my annual exam (Oh, what fun) and while my A1C was not too bad 6.5 (type 2) my cholesterol was high. What could I order (Internet or local) to help both? I would really like to pass on the numb mouth, I have enough trouble speaking already.What kind of Plantago psyilium should I order? I really do get tired of the doctors just wanting to proscribe another pill.

My preps include 50-60 toothbrushes 50 tubes of tubepaste, 10 bottles of listerine (need more) and approx 1500 of those individually looped flossers.
And maintain my teeth as well as possible.

Peanut. I just finished my annual exam (Oh, what fun) and while my A1C was not too bad 6.5 (type 2) my cholesterol was high. What could I order (Internet or local) to help both? I would really like to pass on the numb mouth, I have enough trouble speaking already.What kind of Plantago psyilium should I order? I really do get tired of the doctors just wanting to proscribe another pill.

English aka Lance leaf plantain is the most resilient of the plantains that grow in the US. That said I can think of a dozen different plants that will help cholesterol levels or a1c.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RV7G94/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a boat load of money for implants over the years, except for front tops and bottoms, their naturally mine, lol.
I have dental insurance and use it! The last time i was at an appointment everything was fine. But, that could change. Once I asked the dental hygienist similar question as OP and she replied, "try to brush, but if you cannot, floss & use Listerine often"
Also, I have a dental tool kit. Bought it for the anti-fog mirror, to see the new implants each time, lol. I really don't know how to use the rest of the tool kit.
Hygiene Dental Kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently use a Water Pik and gargle with Listerine. If neither of those are available to me in a disaster scenario, I'll rely on the book "When There Is No Dentist". You can google that book and find it in a pdf format for free (download it, print it out, and stick it in a notebook), or you can order it from Amazon. Highly recommended.

I have socked away 50 tubes of toothpaste and a few gallons of Listerine for a rainy day, figuring the Listerine can do double duty in cleaning out minor wounds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back