How technological are y'all?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My career requires a level of high tech. Some things I enjoy are high tech as well, ham radio for example. I use my phone more than I like, but due to work it is really a requirement I keep up with certain things.
But end of the day tech is tools to use, not something to let control your life. I expect when I retire, assuming I still have my health, my tech use will cut way back

Screenshot_20221216-075947.jpg

She's not distracted........

For me it's all about how much I can keep the expenses down. I live way below my means now but as I retire I'll need to be in a good spot already. Current temporary house I'm in has propane as backup heat but is heated by electric Oil Radiators which are fairly efficient. Electric Fridge, Propane stove, electric washer but no dryer and electric or solar lights. Propane water heater, gravity water from a spring. I'm the head of IT of my company so I do have internet but I'm cheap and getting it free pointing at the neighbors house for wifi and cellular hotspots as backup. TV streams off of that as I can't get an over the air signal in this valley but will have a homemade omnidirectional antenna in the house being built up top the mountain and internet there will be from whatever WIFI I can hit in the city 5 miles away for free.

New house will be grid tied but I'm building it with everything that would be able to go with zero power. Two full size fireplaces, 16X16 Root Cellar dug into the North side of the mountain, 12X12 Springhouse dug back into the hillside that stays at a constant 52 degrees and a fully stocked and covered outside wood burning kitchen. 12X12 smokehouse for the meet supply. Won't want or need internet in the "no power" situation.

... I'm a railroader, and I'm very happy that we have two locomotives that run off diesel and I'm not having to shovel coal into them. Certain technologies have been turned from tools into addictions, though, and that's where the issue arises.

Shoveling coal is one of my goals.

;)

Ben

Unfortunately I am much better at technology than I am at mechanical and electrical. But I am always willing to role up my sleeves and fight through mechanical issues.

Husband is the tech geek. I'm the Luddite. With a laptop and a dumb (not smart) flip phone. Just actually learned to use email not long ago. I still write letters. Most of the time I don't even know where my phone is, except when I'm out on the farm, then it's in my pocket. In case husband has an emergency.
I carry my cell phone with me when in the woods by myself just in case something happens. It stays in my truck most of the time during the day though, but I also use it as an alarm clock.

Many years ago, when I was still teaching, all the teachers were asked to take an online assessment to evaluate the need for training or support. My report came back as advanced. But this was fairly new to teachers getting computers for personal use, and there were lots of training opportunities. I always liked computers and what I can do with them. Well, if you cannot keep getting training, you probably lose levels and miss the opportunities to learn newer skills. I know there are things I have not figured out how to do.
Someone paid me with Apple Pay and now I have a few hundred dollars sitting there that I cannot figure out how to transfer to my bank account or how to use to pay at the grocery store. I would ask them to help me, but they are usually not available when I am. I will learn how to use it, but in the meantime, I have money somewhere that I cannot use. I consider it a form of savings.

Many years ago, when I was still teaching, all the teachers were asked to take an online assessment to evaluate the need for training or support. My report came back as advanced. But this was fairly new to teachers getting computers for personal use, and there were lots of training opportunities. I always liked computers and what I can do with them. Well, if you cannot keep getting training, you probably lose levels and miss the opportunities to learn newer skills. I know there are things I have not figured out how to do.
Someone paid me with Apple Pay and now I have a few hundred dollars sitting there that I cannot figure out how to transfer to my bank account or how to use to pay at the grocery store. I would ask them to help me, but they are usually not available when I am. I will learn how to use it, but in the meantime, I have money somewhere that I cannot use. I consider it a form of savings.
I wish smartphones had never been invented.

Too much trouble for this kid... I hate learning new devices. The only exception is field & climbing gear, lol... ;)

My 'Monster Thumper' has attachments or mounts for smart phone, GPS, et cetera, but I'll probably never use 'em, as I like keeping my eyes on the road or trail ahead! I left the mounts on the bike though, in case I ever sell it... :rolleyes:

I am lucky if my phone is even charged up. Usually all it gets used for is to find hubby's phone. I have an industrial rubber flip phone that can be dropped and run over on occasion.

I keep it in a zip lock for extra water proofing and have left it hanging on a barb wire fence many days, because I don't like the lump in my pocket or it's a spammer kind of day.

I don't watch TV and have this little tablet that I use to download books. That's pretty much the only app I have. I am an out doors gotta do something type of person. I can't handle looking at screens for much more than 20 minutes or so, usually when I wake up in the wee hours.

I refuse to have a smart a$$ appliance of any kind and try to avoid digital anything.

People don't know what to do without their smart phones. It's a shame.
If we realize how smart phones have been created to do many things, they are actually kind of scary. They are tracking devices. We pay to be tracked!
The camera, the internet access, the ability to get directions to wherever we want to go, pay and get paid, health evaluation with health app, calendar with ability to schedule appointments, music, videos, news, watch movies, schedule Uber and Lyft rides, Netflix, YouTube, banking, Google earth, calculator, flashlight.

I refuse to own a cell phone, half the time I unplug the land line because of all the spam calls. Today I got eight in the span of 45 minutes. I hooked it
back up at 7:30 and got two more. that reminds me, I got to unhook it again or sure as rain on a Sunday morning, I'll start getting more at 8:00 sharp! If I could get my hands on the robo calling turds, they'd be having sex with their head set, the kind you see on those messed up websites from japan!

I refuse to own a cell phone, half the time I unplug the land line because of all the spam calls. Today I got eight in the span of 45 minutes. I hooked it
back up at 7:30 and got two more. that reminds me, I got to unhook it again or sure as rain on a Sunday morning, I'll start getting more at 8:00 sharp! If I could get my hands on the robo calling turds, they'd be having sex with their head set, the kind you see on those messed up websites from japan!
My house phone hasn't rung since sometime in the spring, somebody got lucky, but Sharon didn't live here and I can't help with your billing issue :p

The phone number I give to the general population/merchants is a "Google Voice" number, and it doesn't forward to the House number, which is a Magic jack phone. Google will take a message, Magic jack requires an actual human to push a number on the keypad, then you can leave a message.

My cellphone doesn't ring unless you are already in my contact list, otherwise you leave a message. If I feel like it, and it sounds important, I might call you back.

Smart phones are a blessing and a curse. I have used mine a few times to make deals at yard sales, gun shows etc, by comparing prices. It can be handy to have the internet at your finger tips.

It's when people let them rule their life that they are a problem. The kids are always fussing at us, I sent you a message and you didn't answer. Well, I don't walk around with it glued to my hip, lol.

My Doc, since retired, and I were talking one day and he told me about a couple in a restaurant he and his wife went to. There was a young couple sitting next table over and he jokingly asked, "are you texting each other", they unabashedly said...........yes, lol.

I also have a Faraday pouch I can put it in when I don't want to be tracked. It's like my 'do not disturb' sign.

I know a great way to use a smart phone and I have never owned one.
They make a great small skeet target. They don't usually turn to dust and can be reused several times.
That's the best I got.

When I went off grid, I kept my 0bama phone in an ammo can. I wonder whatever happened to that damn thing? I think one of my space cats stole it!

I only do what my rice krispies tell me to do....and they have my private number.

Cell phones can be very usefull, when working in mental health several people would walk around talking to their cell phone and nobody thought anything about it. No one on the other end of the conversation except their special invisible friend.

My hearing aids are Bluetooth enabled. They are hard to see unless you look closely.
People would stop and ask me if I was OK when I was standing in the hall talking on my phone.
Some of the staff thought I had slipped a gear and started talking to myself.
I would just tell them I was listing to the voices in my head. :D

I hear the gubmint puts microchips in our food... at least in the jails, lol. :oops:

I always maintained that the "baloney" in those sandwiches was processed out of dead inmates in the jail basement, but there may have been MORE to that whole process than I REALIZED, lol. :eek:

Dang, that fake baloney was NASTY, it's giving me the retroactive fantods as I key this reply, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! o_O

Edit: Lemme throw in this link to heighten the memories, lol... good ol' Merle Haggard, what a hand on guitar & mike! :cool:

Sing Me Back Home

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back