How technological are y'all?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschoolgenz

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Just curious on what technologies everyone here uses or relies on.
-The only tie to the grid I have at my place is water, but no electricity/septic system/trash service. I don't use a smartphone either. I find them to be a big cause of lack of communication and distraction in modern society. Some people can't even sit at the supper table without using them, let alone walk into another room of the house without it glued to their hand or jammed in their pocket. Society has even resorted to smartwatches which is just a miniature phone on their wrist. Addiction is all I can see.
-One thing I've started implementing a bit more is using candles for light instead of my handy Olight that I carry everywhere. I find that candlelight is much more pleasant to read with.
-Right now I'm using a desktop at my grandmother's house so I reckon I'm cheating a little bit. I also will use one of the desktops at the public library sometimes.
-I have considered one day adding solar panels so I can use a deep freezer but that'll be a little ways down the road.

Interesting that today technology is the latest wizz-bang electronic gizzmo. I spent four years @ RIT (55 years ago) and it was none of that.

Antenna TV, rarely watched. No computer or WIFI, phone does it all. Heat with wood ONLY. Use electric for AC, water, lights, etc.! Oh, electric for the POOL!
Electricity for the pool? My curiosity has been peaked.

I'm a full on technophile. I have just about all the electronic gee whizz devices.
I guess it comes from working on advanced avionic systems in the Navy, mainframe computer systems, and high tech medical devices. I have been around electronics all my adult life.
My wife and I have laptops, tablets, smart phones, smart TVs that we rarely turn on, smart watches, kindle reader, 4 Amazon Alexa devices, and 3 fire sticks.
My house is full of smart devices like lights and security cameras.
I see no reason to not use what's available.

Flip-phone for communication, laptop for the web. I had Lasik done in both eyes about six years ago (when I had $3600 to burn), and I can now see like a hawk (20/15 in each eye), but the trade-off is that one needs reading glasses for small type and numbers up close, which means no smart phone for me, as I find the screens too small. Meh, didn't want one anyway, lol... and that's no 'Sour Grapes' fable, I really don't want one, lol. I have a Samsung 6 Series 65" curved screen TV which I like, I think I'm gonna turn it on tonight and watch a movie, lol. Otherwise, I'm definitely NOT a gadget guy or technophile, I'd just as soon communicate with smoke signals, using one of my many Mexican blankets, lol. Honestly, I probably get more use out of my blender than I do out of these newfangled devices... I bought a 4G flip-phone to replace my 3G flip-phone, if that tells you anything, lol. I'm not one of those guys who HAS to buy the latest tech invention, the latest phone, the latest TV, etc. I think the OP is spot on with the term "addiction"---one can be addicted to more than sex, drugs, gambling, whatever. Moi, I'll keep my addictions simple & straightforward, lol... life is easier that way! ;)

Quoting myself...

Smart phones are a social disease that cause victims to avoid eye contact and are preoccupied with scratching at their palms.

I made a living off of technology...

... because that was where the money was and it let me retire early and back away from the keyboard, pick up a shovel and trade carpal tunnel syndrome for sore muscles and dirt under my finger nails.

While I was once complimented by someone ( you know who you are) when they said I could fit in with the Amish, I am not adverse to utilizing available resources when they serve me. I make an active effort to ensure that...

Technology serves me and not vise versa.

When other humans are around I put down the smart phone.

I have never sent a text (not sure how to do that) and always lecture anyone I have to give my phone number to that I don't want text and will ignore any text I receive ( disclosure: SimliSafe sends text if an alarm is triggered) . Text messaging seems to be a major factor in transforming people from users into servants of the smart-thingy-monster.

I own and know how to use a brace but generally use battery powered impact drivers.

I own hammers, chisel, sledge hammers, and picks, but I would figure out how to use a jackhammer if possible.

I could go on.

An interesting thought about technology...

"
the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
"advances in computer technology"
  • machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
    "it will reduce the industry's ability to spend money on new technology"
  • the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences

"
Is moving beyond using tech but understanding how to reproducing such tech. The classic question posed by Plato distinguishing the difference between the maker of a thing from the user of the thing.

I have dribbled on too far.

Ben

Last edited:
What is RIT?
It is a New York State prison, who's greatest asset is thousands of the most beautiful Lilac Bushes.
Rochester Institute of Technology

I'm a full on technophile. I have just about all the electronic gee whizz devices.
I guess it comes from working on advanced avionic systems in the Navy, mainframe computer systems, and high tech medical devices. I have been around electronics all my adult life.
My wife and I have laptops, tablets, smart phones, smart TVs that we rarely turn on, smart watches, kindle reader, 4 Amazon Alexa devices, and 3 fire sticks.
My house is full of smart devices like lights and security cameras.
I see no reason to not use what's available.
I believe everyone has to make up their own minds. I personally just see those things as money wasters and a hindrance, but there isn't any judgement towards those that choose to take part. We live in a first world country therefore you ought to take part if you have the desire. Call me a Luddite but I just think that we have gone too far in the realm of technology. I feel as if the country would be better off without a lot of it. Youngins and old alike have allowed it to consume their lives.

Flip-phone for communication, laptop for the web. I had Lasik done in both eyes about six years ago (when I had $3600 to burn), and I can now see like a hawk (20/15 in each eye), but the trade-off is that one needs reading glasses for small type and numbers up close, which means no smart phone for me, as I find the screens too small. Meh, didn't want one anyway, lol... and that's no 'Sour Grapes' fable, I really don't want one, lol. I have a Samsung 6 Series 65" curved screen TV which I like, I think I'm gonna turn it on tonight and watch a movie, lol. Otherwise, I'm definitely NOT a gadget guy or technophile, I'd just as soon communicate with smoke signals, using one of my many Mexican blankets, lol. Honestly, I probably get more use out of my blender than I do out of these newfangled devices... I bought a 4G flip-phone to replace my 3G flip-phone, if that tells you anything, lol. I'm not one of those guys who HAS to buy the latest tech invention, the latest phone, the latest TV, etc. I think the OP is spot on with the term "addiction"---one can be addicted to more than sex, drugs, gambling, whatever. Moi, I'll keep my addictions simple & straightforward, lol... life is easier that way! ;)
I'm going to paraphrase it here, but Edwin Louis Cole stated in his book Maximized Manhood that "it isn't marijuana, sex, or alcohol, but television that has become the biggest addiction in America." And that book was first published in the 80s if I'm remembering correctly. Nowadays it's gone more to streaming services. The guys at work talk about the 15 different streaming subscriptions they have and I just wonder if they ever have anything else worth talking about.
Why would a man need to think or have any ambition in life when his television or cell phone can do all the thinking for him and bring him out of his bored state of mind?

I believe everyone has to make up their own minds. I personally just see those things as money wasters and a hindrance, but there isn't any judgement towards those that choose to take part. We live in a first world country therefore you ought to take part if you have the desire. Call me a Luddite but I just think that we have gone too far in the realm of technology. I feel as if the country would be better off without a lot of it. Youngins and old alike have allowed it to consume their lives.
...and you would be amazed just how many technologies were used for you to simply make that post readable to anyone on planet Earth.

Quoting myself...

Smart phones are a social disease that cause victims to avoid eye contact and are preoccupied with scratching at their palms.

I made a living off of technology...

... because that was where the money was and it let me retire early and back away from the keyboard, pick up a shovel and trade carpal tunnel syndrome for sore muscles and dirt under my finger nails.

While I was once complimented by someone ( you know who you are) when they said I could fit in with the Amish, I am not adverse to utilizing available resources when they serve me. I make an active effort to ensure that...

When other humans are around I put down the smart phone.

I have never sent a text (not sure how to do that) and always lecture anyone I have to give my phone number to that I don't want text and will ignore any text I receive ( disclosure: SimliSafe sends text if an alarm is triggered) . Text messaging seems to be a major factor in transforming people from users into servants of the smart-thingy-monster.

I own and know how to use a brace but generally use battery powered impact drivers.

I own hammers, chisel, sledge hammers, and picks, but I would figure out how to use a jackhammer if possible.

I could go on.

An interesting thought about technology...

"
the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
"advances in computer technology"
  • machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.
    "it will reduce the industry's ability to spend money on new technology"
  • the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences

"
Is moving beyond using tech but understanding how to reproducing such tech. The classic question posed by Plato distinguishing the difference between the maker of a thing from the user of the thing.

I have dribbled on too far.

Ben

I don't think that you are insinuating that I am, but I am not anti-technology. I agree with you that there are many technologies that are good for society. It's much faster to pull stumps out of the ground with a mini ex and plow a field with a Kubota than to use a mule for those jobs. I just hate seeing society turn into mindless drones. I'm a railroader, and I'm very happy that we have two locomotives that run off diesel and I'm not having to shovel coal into them. Certain technologies have been turned from tools into addictions, though, and that's where the issue arises.

Oh, hell, don't p!$$ off the technophiles, or there'll be a bloodbath! Er... a simulated bloodbath in HD, lol. ;)
Well, ya know, like I've said before, people have to make up their own minds. I'm fairly tolerant of other people's opinions and let them do them. As my Dad always says: "You can control what you say and do, but you can't control what others say and do."

Quoting myself...
I made a living off of technology.
Me too.
I wonder if they miss us yet? :(
Yep, they do.
Edit: And I am wary of AI because I know what it can do, and where it is headed.

Last edited:
Husband is the tech geek. I'm the Luddite. With a laptop and a dumb (not smart) flip phone. Just actually learned to use email not long ago. I still write letters. Most of the time I don't even know where my phone is, except when I'm out on the farm, then it's in my pocket. In case husband has an emergency.

I use whatever gets the job done the easiest/quickest. But I keep a watchful eye on how much it costs and if it's worth that amount. I'll often do things the hard way because I'm too cheap to buy the stuff to do it the easy way. The cost to benefit ratio can't bee to high, or I'll shun the device.

I could pack up a handful of books for my upcoming long plane flight, or I could take my Kindle. I will opt for the Kindle. I could buy a bunch of paper maps of Hawaii, or I could pull up Google Maps on my smartphone. I'll use the smartphone. I could spend a couple of hours handwashing my clothes, or I could push the buttons "normal soil", "cold/cold", "medium spin", and "start". I doubt I need to tell you my choice there.

There are instances where it would be of great benefit to be able to survive in Stone Age conditions. I admire the people that can do that. But I couldn't, so I'm not going to prep for that. So if push comes to shove at the end of the world, I'll just die and get out of the way of the folks that know how to turn me into fertilizer (or dinner). More power to 'em!

I have had to wait in some fairly long lines lately dealing with beurocrocy. People are staring at their phones or just looking bored. I pull out some tie wire and 24 gauge brass wire and my leatherman and make tiny horse sculptures. When people catch site of what I am doing they are for the most part curious but it never happens that they are interested in making something like I am. I think that is the great loss of having a phone that will tell you anything and you can look up the best in the world of anything......it quenches any desire to actually do things or engage with real humans.

I enjoy modern medicine and labor saving devices but I still have lots of shovels, a anvil and a host of hand tools.

More than a few folks from technical fields here in the forum. I worked in high tech most of my life. First, navy trained to repair missile systems. Then I worked in r&d for a company that developed at new kind catscan in the 90’s. We could scan the human heart non-invasively.

Fast forward… now I have a debilitating illness, forced to rely on technology in unusual ways. Like hours spent watching bad tv or on my computer. Most days I’m stuck in my chair, even reading can be difficult. Mindless drivel on the tv is better than 4 walls.

However, I turn it all off every time I’m able and go outside. Read through the “natural remedies” section and you’ll see my favorite hobby. Can’t seem to get away from the medical field for some reason.

Our needs change over time. Especially if you’re as old as some of us are here in the forum. To the point… when people let a gizmo replace living life they’ve giving away the only thing they have, life. Electronics are tools and I still use them a such. But just a bit differently than you might.

Ima_3d_03.jpg

Steampunk best explains my mix of high and low tech.

I have solar power, in my outhouse.

I have security cameras looking over my wooden barricades

Kydex sheaths for my handforged medieval swords.

Wooden spoons, for my handforged cooking pots, made from steel I cut out with a plasma torch.

Total pragmatism, no adherence to high or low tech, but I take what I want from both.

Technology is just a tool, nothing more. To early Man a stone spear point was high tech, then came the bow. Huge improvement over just throwing a spear.
Our ranch is 100% off grid. Electric is supplied by solar, with a diesel backup, heat is by wood, with a propane furnace for backup. The only internet we get here is on our phones. We have a dish for TV.
Before I retired I was in charge of technology systems in my areas of authority. I knew enough to hire experts in that field. I have little to no interest in what is called "high tech". Just a tool.

Husband is the tech geek. I'm the Luddite. With a laptop and a dumb (not smart) flip phone. Just actually learned to use email not long ago. I still write letters. Most of the time I don't even know where my phone is, except when I'm out on the farm, then it's in my pocket. In case husband has an emergency.
It's interesting, I've kind of considered myself as a Luddite, yeah we have a laptop and a non smart flip phone, I make both of them work more by accident than really knowing how to get them to work. We live a rather minimalistic life style, we use grid power because it's still cheap, but do have a solar backup system, could live without any electrical power if we have to, our home is heated with a wood stove, water supply is by a gravity fed system.

Technologically I would say we are fully connected, internet, grid power, gas heat, and city water. We have medical equipment that runs 24-7 that needs high quality reliable power. So in addition we have off-grid solar, battery backups, inverters, rain water collection, storage and filtration; along with wood heat and cooking capabilities.

25 years ago we were a family living in an all electric townhouse when a group of snow storms rolled through, we were snowed in and without power for 2 full weeks with sub-freezing highs. No hot water, no heat, no light for weeks with small children is no fun.
When we bought this house I couldn't afford much, but I had some strict must have's, most important must have more than 1 way to heat and cook.

MY PERSONAL OPINION: I expect than one day we will all lose our connected resources and we with have to make do with what we can do....

Latest posts

Back