How to Vacuum Seal Flour for Food Storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @TMT Tactical there is some good ideas there too. I also saw a video of a lady who didn't use vacuum sealer bags but instead used thick food grade plastic to which she added a strip of vacuum sealer bag to where it sealed and it worked perfectly. Here in Australia from what I have seen the vacuum seal bags are expensive but I can buy the thick food grade plastic in rolls for a far cheaper price.

Thanks @TMT Tactical there is some good ideas there too. I also saw a video of a lady who didn't use vacuum sealer bags but instead used thick food grade plastic to which she added a strip of vacuum sealer bag to where it sealed and it worked perfectly. Here in Australia from what I have seen the vacuum seal bags are expensive but I can buy the thick food grade plastic in rolls for a far cheaper price.

If you could find that video, I would sure love to watch it. I am always looking for a less expensive (cheaper for El Cheapo) method to do things. :ghostly:

@ssonb I have seen videos of people using hair straighteners and irons to seal their Mylar bags with and it seems to work well, alternatively your can go to www.lds.org and go to their self reliance section shop and they have Mylar bag sealers for sale in there. Not sure how they pan out for price compared to what you can get there locally.

Last edited:
See if I can find the video for the subbing strips of vacuum seal bag in the regular thick food grade plastic bags for you and post it, but unfortunately it was some time ago I looked at it and for the life of me I can't think of where I saw it. The basic concept is that the food sealers will not seal normal food grade plastic as it is too smooth however with the strip of vacuum seal bag inside the bag where you seal it it creates a rough surface that seals it properly. I haven't tried it so if you have food grade plastic in rolls and and vacuum seal bags give it a shot and let me know how you to @TMT Tactical.

Our budget being on pensions is to do things as cheaply but effectively as possible too, that is why I like the cheat videos when I see them.

I use the large vacuum sealer bags and vacuum the whole unopened bag of flour. I buy oats in bulk so I have to vacuum seal those in half gallon Ball jars with the adapter for jars. I go through the flour faster than I do the oats
I also use half gallon jars for powdered milk and seal them. It works great and the powder stays a nice white color instead of turning a light yellow when the jars aren't vacuum sealed.
When the grocery store has pasta on sale for .88 a box I stock up big time and then empty the boxes into jars and vacuum seal those. That way theres no chance of insects getting in the box and the pasta.
Same for rice which I buy in bulk. Jars again.

Actually I use those half gallon jars for storing all kinds of dry foods lol
And I use them for vacuum sealing tea bags too. If I find a good sale I buy a bunch and then seal them so they last longer

I wish Ball would make their gallon jars with the screw on tops ( flats and rings) instead of those ones that are just stoppers really. Hate those types because you can only temporarily store things in there. Not like the rings and flats.

found this on youtube . thought some of you might be interested.
diy can vacuum sealer from self bleeding brake tool.[bada-- homesteader] sorry i,m not savvy enough to figure out how to put the video here, but in a grid situation i think i'm going to get one for backup.

I wish Ball would make their gallon jars with the screw on tops ( flats and rings) instead of those ones that are just stoppers really. Hate those types because you can only temporarily store things in there. Not like the rings and flats.
I have 3 of those and your right. They would be so much better with different lids.

diy can vacuum sealer from self bleeding brake tool.[bada-- homesteader] sorry i,m not savvy enough to figure out how to put the video here, but in a grid situation i think i'm going to get one for backup.

There are also the battery ones that Ziploc makes.

Okay for us city folks, would anybody please post a link ,so us (me) can check out this concept. Thanks.

Ziploc makes a hand pump. Food saver makes the rechargeable one. I keep the hand pump one in my camping gear and my horse trailer along with bags and the jar attachments. The rechargeable is in the camper and the new place as well as one in the house for power outages.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/pr...MI8oetj5bU2wIVleNkCh0YBQ-YEAYYBCABEgLo0PD_BwE

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-se...45310962152-sku^FSFRSH0051@ADL4P00-adType^PLA

I don't bother vacuum sealing sugar or salt. it turns them into rocks lol j/k but I do use the half gallon jars for them

Jars work so much better than any plastic although I do have loads of the food saver canisters. I managed to come across some at the thrift store. didn't pay over $2 for any of them and they're pricey on the food saver website. I got everything from a marinator to really large tall ones that hold spaghetti/angel hair,etc to small ones that hold about 2 cups.
It was a lucky find

Latest posts

Back