I.D. This item.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
burdizzo.jpg

Looks a bit like the pliers used to break glass along a scribed line. like in stained glass windows and such.

Grandpa had one and he would get my dad and uncles together and they would run all the young bulls through the head shoot. Grandpa and one guy would move the bulls, one guy on the back end with that tool, one guy on the front end with the de-horner and me with a can of tar like stuff to smear on the freshly cut off horn area to stop the bleeding.
Seemed to be a lot of beer drank by my Dad, Uncles and Grandpa, if Grandma wasn't watching.
Fun times for a kid.

Old people need screw on caps
My Uncle Melvin snuck some hard lemonade into his apartment at Mennonite Manor. There's no alcohol allowed. Then he didn't know what to do with the bottles. His son told him to put it in a paper sack and he'd throw it in the grocery store dumpster. That's where his son used to dump his bottles. Life goes full circle.

Grandpa had one and he would get my dad and uncles together and they would run all the young bulls through the head shoot. Grandpa and one guy would move the bulls, one guy on the back end with that tool, one guy on the front end with the de-horner and me with a can of tar like stuff to smear on the freshly cut off horn area to stop the bleeding.
Seemed to be a lot of beer drank by my Dad, Uncles and Grandpa, if Grandma wasn't watching.
Fun times for a kid.
They may have been a bull before they ran into the chute, but they are a steer when it is over.

This is for me as much as anyone because I often do follow up research on topics like this:
Terminology: Young cattle are called calves. ... The castrated male is then called a bullock or steer, unless kept for draft purposes, in which case it is called an ox (plural oxen), not to be confused with the related wild musk ox. If castrated as an adult, it is called a stag. An intact male is called a bull.

You are correct. They were bulls going in and steers coming out. Didn't have to chase them out of the shoot. They were more than ready to get out of there. :)

Old people need screw on caps
I bought a bottle of wine for a niece one year for Christmas.
I went to a local winery and told the woman the only thing I know about wine is if the screw on top isn't rusted to bad the wine was OK.
She spent the next half hour explaining why a particular wine was good.
I finally told her to just give me $50 worth of wine.
I got 1 bottle and wine glass from the winery.
I thought I would get a case of wine for 50 bucks.
I could have bought 2 cases of Bud for $50.:)

There are people who truly recognize and enjoy the subtleties of good wine over average wine flavor and there are wine snobs who are educated on which year and brand to buy and what goes with which foods. Then there are the rest of us. We find a wine we enjoy and do so occasionally. I know that a light wine is to be served with fish but I enjoy Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. Merlot has a less acid taste but it has that earthy taste. The Cabernet Sauvignon has more acid in it and a more subtle earthy taste that goes better with prime rib and sourdough. When I eat salmon or rock fish I drink Merlot - I know it is not a white wine but I enjoy it so that is what I choose. I have rarely paid as much as $20 for a bottle so I am neither a snob nor a connoisseur.

I was once told not to buy really good wine. I couldn't afford to keep buying it so there was no reason to acquire the taste, it would only ruin my enjoyment of what I could afford.

Lol we used to buy a 12 pack of Strohs for around $15. Then to finish off the night we had a $4.99 case of rhinelander. We figured that after the strohs we would not care as long as it was cold.

Wine comes in bottles? I always thought that the good stuff came in the larger quantity boxes.

I would have thought a tool like that would have much longer handles. You are mighty close to the back legs while grabbing that particular part of the anatomy. I would expect a kick would be in order when they clamped down.

You put the bull soon to be a steer in a squeeze chute. Then they can't move very much.

When men stand around telling tall tails
it is called “Shooting the Bull”.
This is because it took many men to harvest a bull, before we had tractor with lifts. But only one man “to shoot the bull”,
everyone else stood around waiting on the shooter to shoot the bull.
They told tall tails & war stories.
At least that what I was told when we were killing pigs for a BBQ .

You put the bull soon to be a steer in a squeeze chute. Then they can't move very much.
But they can still kick pretty good.
There was a 2 by inserted in the shoot behind the animal and they still occasionally managed to kick someone.

Then to finish off the night we had a $4.99 case of rhinelander
Animal beer. Nice pictures on the can, but really bad beer inside.
Once, when I was around 16, we pulled a guy out of the mud and he offered us animal beer. We said no thanks.

But they can still kick pretty good.
There was a 2 by inserted in the shoot behind the animal and they still occasionally managed to kick someone.

[QUOTEThen to finish off the night we had a $4.99 case of rhinelander]
Animal beer. Nice pictures on the can, but really bad beer inside.
Once, when I was around 16, we pulled a guy out of the mud and he offered us animal beer. We said no thanks.[/QUOTE]

Not the chute we had. It was a tilt table chute and had wood along the sides (cows kick to the side, horses kick straight back) and we worked from the rear. If we had a fighter we tied the feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back