I don't do Christmas - anyone else feel the same?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmersDaughter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
number one reason is I believe the Bible is 100% true and God tells us not to do that.
2. Jesus was born around sept if you research the Bible it tells us that
3. birthdays don't go so well for those that have one / celebrate it in the Bible LOL
4. too much stress - I love it like this.

I love the holiday season ! And Christmas is my favorite !
I do remember the reason for the season, and the birth of Christ. I enjoy sharing with the folks around me and the good feelings I have when I help others. I'm not a big gift giver, my beautiful wife takes care of that. I always have Christmas lights up, we call them happy lights. And they are used as night lights during our long dark winter. And as true Alaskans we leave them up year round. I also enjoy the feeling inside me during this time of year. And remember how blessed I am to have our family near. And be able to spend the day with our grandkids. Our grandson lives with us. And so does our daughter. Actually we live with her now as we sold her our house and building a new home next door. We will always be neighbors with our kids n grandkids. ❤
To be really truthful I would enjoy being Santa some time. I love the kids smiles at happy feelings. The large dinners and all the special fixings. King crap legs this year. And I even have a dahl sheep backstrap, octopus. Good ak wild caught food. Maybe even make up a couple sockeye salmon filets to give away. I enjoy the feeling that giving a special gift gives me. And this season allows for that. And seeing the magic in the children's eyes is very special. And I will own it, I still believe in Santa
Merry Christmas and may the Good Lord watch over you and yours

I'll put the small tree up sometime today, and have a couple small "funny/fun" things for Lori to open when we are both home after Christmas. She will be farm sitting, so the young couple that own the farm can be with their families.

It's a time of giving: giving thanks to our savior, and praying for a better future.

number one reason is I believe the Bible is 100% true and God tells us not to do that.
2. Jesus was born around sept if you research the Bible it tells us that
3. birthdays don't go so well for those that have one / celebrate it in the Bible LOL
4. too much stress - I love it like this.
Count me in the same camp. I will omit my reasoning because it could offend.

I enjoy the day because my friends and family understand my thoughts and leaves me alone. Makes for a very relaxed enjoyable time. No stress or obligations.

Ben

I remember the reason for the season, Jesus.

I know that Jesus was not born on December 25, but in September. Christmas was set on December to help all the pagans who had previously been Christians but got into the celebration of the pagan holidays, and therefore off track, to get back on track, according to the Christians.

Christmas trees have a history that originated pre Christ. There is more to this article than what I posted.
https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/christmas-trees

"How Christmas Trees Started​

tree-300.svg

Evergreen trees (and other evergreen plants) have traditionally been used to celebrate winter festivals (pre-Christian/pagan and Christian) for thousands of years. Pre-Christian/Pagans used branches of evergreen trees to decorate their homes during the winter solstice, as it made them think of the spring to come. The Romans used Fir Trees to decorate their temples at the festival of Saturnalia. However, they were quite different to what we now think of as Christmas Trees.

Nobody is really sure when Fir trees were first used as Christmas trees. It probably began about 1000 years ago in Northern Europe.

Christmas Trees might well have started out as 'Paradise Trees' (branches or wooden frames decorated with apples). These were used in medieval German Mystery or Miracle Plays that were acted out in front of Churches during Advent and on Christmas Eve. In early church calendars of saints, 24th December was Adam and Eve's day. The Paradise Tree represented the Garden of Eden. It was often paraded around the town before the play started, as a way of advertising the play. The plays told Bible stories to people who could not read.

Christmas Trees as they came to be now started around the late 1400s into the 1500s. In what's now Germany (was the Holy Roman Empire then), the Paradise Tree had more decorations on it (sometimes communion wafers, cherries and later pastry decorations of stars, bells, angels, etc. were added) and it even got a new nickname the 'Christbaum' or 'Christ Tree'.

Some early Christmas Trees, across many parts of northern Europe, were cherry or hawthorn plants (or a branch of the plant) that were put into pots and brought inside so they would hopefully flower at Christmas time. If you couldn't afford a real plant, people made pyramids of woods and they were decorated to look like a tree with paper, apples and candles. It's possible that the wooden pyramid trees were meant to be like Paradise Trees. Sometimes they were carried around from house to house, rather than being displayed in a home.

Some trees (or at least small tops of them or branches of fir trees) were hung from the ceiling, mainly in some parts of Germany, some Slavic countries and parts of Poland. This might have been to save space or they just looked nice hanging from the rafters! (If you have lighting hooks on the ceiling, they would also be an obvious place to hang things from.)"

My wife and I celebrate Christmas, and we are devoted followers of Jesus Christ.

It is not overly joyful for me, I remember Christmas 1969 in Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam, and my Brothers who came home in a box.

But, as the years pass, many bad memories are receding.

For the record, I feel the same way about Thanksgiving, for the same reasons.

But, I’m getting better!!!

I have never been big on holidays but my wife is.
We have Christmas and Thanksgiving with our kids, some family and a few friends.
We draw names for the immediate family and also do a gift exchange Christmas Eve.
I feel most of the holidays are just made up to sell cards and useless junk that people don't really need or want.
Speaking of cards, can you believe what they charge for one.
I bought my wife chocolate and a card for Valentines day and the card cost more than the candy.

I love Christmas. But to be honest, it's not as fun around here now that the kids have grown up and moved out and my mom has died. So we're down to just me and my wife. Our son is close enough that he comes over for holiday meals and to hang out on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I love singing the Christmas music in church. I am sad when that ends and I have to wait another year until I get to sing songs that I actually remember the words to (well, the first verse at least).

I no longer put up a ton of Christmas lights. Only a few. Back when the kids were around, we were a major power draw for the city. We had three families at the top of our cul-de-sac who almost had a competition to see who could put up the most lights. Me and Mike and Danny would be up there on the roofs for days hollering at and joking with each other while we worked. I had my old rock climbing rope tied off to the chimney and wore a harness in case I tumbled off the roof while making a daring light attachment move. My fall would be checked, and I could repel the rest of the way down. I used current meters to measure how much power I was drawing so I wouldn't overload a circuit or burn something down. Not a problem these days if you use LED lights, but back in the day of those large C9 incandescent bulbs (7 watts each I think?) you could get yourself into trouble plugging a bunch of those strings together.

The one thing we don't do too much of any more are the presents. We just buy what we want, when we want it, so by the time Christmas rolls around everybody's gift wish list has zero items on it. We done bought it all already.

Last edited:
My MIL would just keep plugging in Christmas decoration till she tripped a breaker.
It was a real fire hazard but I could never get her to not do it.
I once found 15 strings of light connected to extension cords all plugged into the same outlet.
There was only 1 outside outlet.
This was way before LED lights so they were all the big outside lights and other stuff.
It kept tripping the breaker and she thought the breaker was bad.
Even worse, she lived in a 1970s trailer house with aluminum wiring.

I dont do Religion, I'm a Pagan.
Welcome fellow Pagan.
Ditto. You guys got Christmas from the Druids anyway. I do respect it, and I'll have a belt of Scotch with anybody on Yule. Which BTW is my birthday.

I have never been big on holidays but my wife is.
We have Christmas and Thanksgiving with our kids, some family and a few friends.
We draw names for the immediate family and also do a gift exchange Christmas Eve.
I feel most of the holidays are just made up to sell cards and useless junk that people don't really need or want.
Speaking of cards, can you believe what they charge for one.
I bought my wife chocolate and a card for Valentines day and the card cost more than the candy.
Cards from the dollar tree but not the chocolate 😝

Cards from the dollar tree but not the chocolate 😝
My wife just said she needed to go to the dollar store for cards.
One year on her birthday we were shopping. I walked down the aisle that had cards.
I picked one out, gave it to her and said Happy Birthday, put it back after you read it.
She was not amused but it did stop her giving me cards every year. :p

My wife just said she needed to go to the dollar store for cards.
One year on her birthday we were shopping. I walked down the aisle that had cards.
I picked one out, gave it to her and said Happy Birthday, put it back after you read it.
She was not amused but it did stop her giving me cards every year. :p
I’m laughing but that’s not nice. Shame on you. 😂

My MIL would just keep plugging in Christmas decoration till she tripped a breaker.
It was a real fire hazard but I could never get her to not do it.
I once found 15 strings of light connected to extension cords all plugged into the same outlet.
There was only 1 outside outlet.
This was way before LED lights so they were all the big outside lights and other stuff.
It kept tripping the breaker and she thought the breaker was bad.
Even worse, she lived in a 1970s trailer house with aluminum wiring.
We never tripped a breaker... but there were casualties.

Things have changed so much and I'm sure they changed over the years for many of us as our kids grow up, grandkids in the picture, we lose a spouse, parents, siblings, and other dear ones. It changes things. Now I have daughters-in-law who see I'm kinda tired and they are starting to step up to do things their way or in agreement with one another.

Christmas, I enjoy going to hear live, free orchestra music. Going to places where there are so many Christmas lights and it is cold and it makes your eyes frosty and feel twinkly. The gift-giving involves shopping unless you make things by hand. I'm about done on either, find it very difficult these days but I do it anyway.
I know a few people who just can't handle it and they take a trip or a cruise on Christmas instead.
Adopting a family or a child (being an anonymous giver of gifts to the needy) is one excellent way to get ourselves back into the spirit of things.

It's British. Pagan is pretty much like Christian in saying it is a generic variety like Saying Baptist, Catholic or Pentecostal right? With us, it's like Egyptian, or Golden Dawn, Odin, or Wicca. Some pagans actually believe in Jesus, but one of the Nine who runs the 3 realms. the similarities get touchy from there.

It's British. Pagan is pretty much like Christian in saying it is a generic variety like Saying Baptist, Catholic or Pentecostal right? With us, it's like Egyptian, or Golden Dawn, Odin, or Wicca. Some pagans actually believe in Jesus, but one of the Nine who runs the 3 realms. the similarities get touchy from there.
rubbish, its nothing of the sort.
Brits were pagans long before christianity arrived, centuries of .

Dude, I agree with you. Or did you mean to quote the other post?
I was referring to how you worded it. :p

I think "Pagan" refers to "religion beliefs outside of the majority". It's not a specific religious belief, it is simply a religious belief that is not shared by many other people, relatively speaking.

e.g., I am a Christian. Thus I am not considered a Pagan in the USA. However, if I were to move to Iran, I might be considered a Pagan there. I think they prefer the term Infidel, but it is similar in concept. Generally, religions are thought of in terms of the entire globe, not a subset area like USA or Iran. So Christian is not considered Pagan as it is widespread across the world. However, if you isolate yourself to just the area of Iran, you could theoretically interpret Christianity to be Pagan when evaluated only in that subset area.

Reactions: Neb
to me, Paganism isnt a religious belief, I am definitely not religious in any context, its more of a way of life.
what here is called "closer to the earth", all things natural NOT supernatural.

what here is called "closer to the earth", all things natural NOT supernatural.

There is a name for that. It's called "Religious Naturalism" (if I am understanding your viewpoint correctly).

Naturalism is the view that the natural world is all that exists, and that its constituents, principles, and relationships are the sole reality. All that occurs is seen as being due to natural processes, with nothing supernatural involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_naturalism

Latest posts

Back