I feel better now that I have filled 5 Jerry cans with fuel on hand.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do people always have to complicate the crap out of things IE Bio-diesel, in the event we need to run engines on plant oil, we won't have time clocks so pre heating an engine and fuel will be a lot more feasible so all of the nightmares of making biodiesel wouldn't or shouldn't be involved. If the government gets behind something, again bio fuel, you KNOW it will be a net loss for the people.
@ supervisor42 I really think steam power needs a further look, because steam horsepower rating for the old steam engines was a whole different animal than what is refered to today. so it may be more efficient than we have been led to believe
Agreed!

Steam engine pulls 44 plows

Ben

Horse power uses the same math.
PLAN = HP
P = pressure
L = Length of stroke
A = area of bore
N = number of strokes per minute
Multiply them all together and you have the amount of horse power produced.
It takes a certain amount of torque per minute to make 1 HP (33000? or 38000?). Steam engines don't operate at high speeds so even though they produce a lot of torque they don't make much HP. It is difficult to make a 10,000 RPM 8 cylinder steam engine.

Horse power uses the same math.
PLAN = HP
P = pressure
L = Length of stroke
A = area of bore
N = number of strokes per minute
Multiply them all together and you have the amount of horse power produced.
It takes a certain amount of torque per minute to make 1 HP (33000? or 38000?). Steam engines don't operate at high speeds so even though they produce a lot of torque they don't make much HP. It is difficult to make a 10,000 RPM 8 cylinder steam engine.

That is what gears are for.

Agreed!

Steam engine pulls 44 plows

Ben
One of my favorite videos!
People don't realize that when that tractor was rated at 150 horse-power, it meant that it could pull as hard as 150 horses. :oops:
That is a lot of power!

that video goes to show my point, A 100 horsepower farm tractor can pull 5 bottom at 16 inches, 5x8 = 40 , 5 x 100 =500, ergo my comment about all horse not being equal . or was that 44 2 bottom plows , either was lotta bottoms

Last edited:
Torque is a static measurement of force. HP is a measurement of work performed. Torque in motion is HP.

Torque is a static measurement of force. HP is a measurement of work performed. Torque in motion is HP.
torque in motion in a specific period of time.

Latest posts

Back